Supplements

Options
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with natural supplements like Green Coffee Bean extract. Supposedly, this naturally occuring extract which is harvested and put into pill form by a big company, is high in clorogenic acid which is good for burning belly fat. There are some other supplements that are available like Fat Fighters from It Body Works! and Hydroxycut that I've tried over the years, but I either don't see the results soon enough, or they make me jittery.

Basically, I'm thinking that these supplements are just a gimick to get my money and trick me into thinking that there is a fast way to my weight loss goals. It also bothers me that these supplements are not monitored by the FDA, not that an FDA approval stamp would give me the warmest, fuzziest feeling in the world, but, you know...

Has anyone had any luck with these supplements? Or are they a waste of money?

EASchmidtE

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    waste of money. any effect is either from appetite suppression or placebo
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

+1
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Basically, I'm thinking that these supplements are just a gimick to get my money and trick me into thinking that there is a fast way to my weight loss goals. It also bothers me that these supplements are not monitored by the FDA, not that an FDA approval stamp would give me the warmest, fuzziest feeling in the world, but, you know...

EASchmidtE

You pretty much answered your own question, trust your gut on this one. There is no such thing as a magic weight loss pill and if there was really a healthy way to do it I'm sure your insurance company would be requiring you and every other American to be taking it.

These pills are not helpful for weight loss and can just be useless ingredients or can actually make things *worse* I tried stacker 2 a long time ago and threw that bottle away fast after I felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    There is no shortcut or quick fix for living a bad lifestyle.

The only way to fix this long-term is lifestyle change through continued good eating habits and a sustainable exercise program.
  • mackeyj
    mackeyj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to see a lot of information, on a lot of supplements and common dietary questions, checkout examine.com.
  • cmorse50
    cmorse50 Posts: 1
    Options
    I tried the Green Coffee Bean Extract and Garcina Cambogia Pure Extract for a month and it doesn't work.
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree that it's a complete waste of money. I've tried almost every supplement in the book for a certain period of time: Green Coffee, CLA, Green Tea Extracts, L-Carintine. They did little to nothing when added to my diet, and I notice no difference when I ran out of the bottle and was dieting supplement free. As long as you make sure your calorie balances are in check, a supplement here or there will not have any noticeable effect whatsoever (except to drain a few dollars from your wallet).
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    They're a waste of money.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements are pretty useless if you're eating correctly. The other 10% (protein powder, mulitvitamin, omega 3, etc.) have legit uses in diet structure. Not for weight loss but overall health and support.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements are pretty useless if you're eating correctly. The other 10% (protein powder, mulitvitamin, omega 3, etc.) have legit uses in diet structure. Not for weight loss but overall health and support.

Even the evidence for multivitamins and omega 3 is tenuous, at best.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • tom_12345
    tom_12345 Posts: 4
    Options
    This may be true, but there are numerous scientific studies to prove that some supplements do have an effect on the body in the 'aid' of burning fat. Lot of people forget that a supplement is just that, a 'supplement' it's an aid which you may not physically notice or feel but does actually help internally over a period of time in conjunction with hard exercise in comparison to if you wasn't taking it. It's not a magic formula which miraculously instantaneously shreds pounds in say a month. But saying that every body is different and different things may work for some whereas others may not work for others it all boils down to if your body already has sufficient levels of a substance or not, there's just so many factors the easiest thing to do is research online and if you are going to take supplements its literally trial and error.
  • gbro44
    gbro44 Posts: 13
    Options

WOW thats some real *kitten* right there.

I was just gonna be a total noob and post a smilar topic and I was like "hey maybe I should search for this first." Yeah there is so much crap on the market right now. Has anyone tried any of that Garcinia Cambrogia stuff??? When you say appetie surpressant (referring to the GCB exrtract), how long does it succesfully curb your appetite for, and how well does it do it?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

WOW thats some real *kitten* right there.

I was just gonna be a total noob and post a smilar topic and I was like "hey maybe I should search for this first." Yeah there is so much crap on the market right now. Has anyone tried any of that Garcinia Cambrogia stuff??? When you say appetie surpressant (referring to the GCB exrtract), how long does it succesfully curb your appetite for, and how well does it do it?

It works really well for rats. Not so much for people.