Road trip... HELP!!!

Options
I have to leave on an unexpected 13 hour turn around road trip in a few hours so I won't have time to do my usual road trip food prep. Any suggestions on what to eat while on the road the majority of the weekend? I don't mind fast food and I know that there is probably not a way to avoid it but I need some suggestions on road trip food. I have baby carrots, grapes, and strawberries already pre packed and weighed in my fridge from this weeks food prep. Oh and if you see a girl on I-35 doing squats and lunges at a gas station or rest stop make sure to wave at me!!

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you have any canned beans and jars of salsa, those are yummy to mix together for a quick meal - no cooking required~ and also Minute Rice thrown in...

Hope the road trip is fun!
  • floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I travel all the time. I always carry Quest bars (high protein, high fiber, moderate calorie, taste great, $$$) and 100 calorie packets of cinnamon almonds (you can buy them pre-packaged in a box of 6 packs, they also come in cocoa and vanilla). Also, the Planters Nut-rition packs (at 250 calories) are pretty good. As for fast food, try to stick to salads--Wendy's has some good ones. Panera is also a good choice for salads and soups--just do a double check of the nutrition before you order, some are surprisingly not that healthy. Otherwise, I tend to stick to steak/meat places (Coltons, Outback, Longhorn, etc) and order a 6oz steak or salmon or chicken breast with vegetables and skip the bread.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    String cheese, ham and cheese rolled up, 100 calorie vanilla almonds, peanut butter on whole wheat/grain bread, beef jerky, cucumber slices, fresh green string beans
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I didn't even think about my Quest bars and peanut butter bread! I have these here at home so no need to stop at the store! Thanks
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds, I get salads at McDonalds, I know Burger King has a veggie burger (not sure of nutrition facts, tho). Dried fruit?
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Beef jerkey. It keeps me satisfied for a few hours for ~300 calories
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If you have a mini cooler (and like it), go for some Greek yogurt. High protein to help hold off cravings for not a ton of calories and good nutrition to boot. You could also toss in some string cheese as someone else suggested. Pretzels are also pretty good (and you can take mustard if you like to dip..negligible calories in that...)
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    went to my brother in laws in another state last week..i made it a point to go for a 3 mile jog every day, drank alot of water and bought fresh fruit for the house as well as tomatos and cucumbers.. anything else i typically do not eat on my diet i ate in moderation..got home and didnt gain not one lb
  • necolong1014
    Options
    eat salads with out meat fast food places always use the worst meat, drink unsweetened ice tea or water. Gas stations now days have good snacks like fresh fruit, salads and 100 calorie packs of nuts to help you feel full and keep up the fiber. All that driving and sitting binds me up!:laugh: