Resistance bands

Options
tracydr
tracydr Posts: 528 Member
Anybody use resistance bands instead of weights? We are moving and I was just getting to the point where I wanted to start lifting to increase strength and shape my body. I won't have ascess to a gym for almost two months. I just ordered some tube bands from Amazon. Just wondering how effective band workouts can be?

Replies

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bands can be very effective, but you need to make sure the resistance you use challenges your muscles. It should not feel easy. I haven't checked this out for myself, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some good programs to follow if you google resistance band workouts. It's important to follow a well-designed program with progressively more difficult exercises, in order to see results.

Good luck!
  • tracydr
    Options
    I just ordered a set of five bands. I'm swimming and rowing for cardio, plus walking daily. I need more strength because I'm hoping to take cave diving classes this year. I will need to be strong enough to handle about 100 lbs of scuba tanks, heavy equipment and more tanks.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use bands instead of weights, A) for space reasons, B) I lift luggage for a living. I designed a system in my apartment allowing me about 98% of all exercises that can be done with free weights or cable machines. I think they are wonderful. I just wish I had done more research before buying the set I did, but hindsight is 20/20. I will use these until they die, and buy a better set next time.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I spent a year in africa so I took some of the tube type bands with me... They were great for about 6 months when they started breaking. Sooo... if you need them for 2 you should be fine... wear safety goggles tho.

(the safey goggles thing is a joke)
  • tracydr
    Options
    I spent a year in africa so I took some of the tube type bands with me... They were great for about 6 months when they started breaking. Sooo... if you need them for 2 you should be fine... wear safety goggles tho.

(the safey goggles thing is a joke)
    Ha ha! I bet it was easy to lose weight in Africa? I hated the food, even at the nicer safari camps in Tanzania. The boat that I spent a week on was okay, except the goat. They sourced meat and fish locally. I think they got an old goat!
    Where were you? Was it a mission? I'd love to go back and work for awhile.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    We were in malawi, my wife was doing some HIV research, and I was being a bum... it was pretty fun. Lost about 20 lbs while I was there... only to put back 30 when I came home...
  • davelfc49
    davelfc49 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use bodylastics resistance bands, have done since April. I really enjoy them and I am seeing improvements, in that I have progressed to higher and higher resistance (at a sensible pace)