Who uses Polar FT4 watches?

Options
I have used an FT4 for years and years; my friend uses some tracker that the Biggest Loser uses and I am thinking of switching. She said she uses it to monitor steps/sleep/calories/hr/ and jogging speed. It is crazy but idk if it is worth it.

I workout Mon-Sat 2 a days and light on Sunday.

I do crossfit 3x a week, jog 4x a week, lift 3 mornings and do abs 3 mornings a week.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you just want to track your workouts (Polar) or if you want to track all day activity (I think it is the Body Media the Biggest Loser uses?).

What is most useful to you? Some people use both.

I have the FItBit which is somewhat similar to the Body Media and it doesn't track all exercises well. I think the Body Media is a little better for that, but I'm not positive. Hopefully some other people will chime in as to how well it tracks the things you listed. Although the HRM wouldn't be accurate for all of them either, so really it goes back to if you want 24 hr tracking or just tracking your workouts.
  • jgsimon1
    jgsimon1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm so uneducated about these things.......I just bought a Vivofit by Garmin with a HRM. I love the HRM to wear during work outs.....the band records steps, time, calories burned and syncs with the HRM when I wear it. I can put it in sleep mode at night and all it tells me is how long I slept.....but, that's kind of a funky thing because it doesn't really tell you the quality of sleep like fitbit. It also has a red line that appears when you've been sitting for a long period of time that reminds you to get up and move! There's no alarms or anything fancy like that.....but, for what I do.....it works!
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f4 and a fitbit flex. I love them both! However polar f4 is my favourite I just love the fact it tells me when im in the zone or not pushing hard enough/pushing too hard and how many cals I've burnt. The fitbit is great because it tracks my day to day health and also my sleep patterns. I enjoy getting competative with friends and trying to get the highest step count lol but hate when I forget to charge it.
  • cherbert1
    cherbert1 Posts: 19
    Options
    So do you feel the polar FT4 does a good job at telling you calories burned? That's what I really want for myself so I can determine how many calories I should eat on a normal day vs a workout day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar FT4 and for some reason it stopped working for me. I would spend 15 minutes in a cardio class trying to get it to sync right. I finally got rid of it. That was a couple of years ago. I just got a Polar fT7 and it was so much easier to set up. I haven't used it in a class yet, but I may tomorrow. I guess it's just people's different experiences.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, I've only had it mess up on me once, when I was on the treadmill it stopped receiving my heart rate about 5 minutes in, not sure why but I've used it several times since then and it's worked fine. It gives me pretty consistent readings (if I do the same jog in the same amount of time the calories are about the same) and I like that it has a workout timer with seconds so I can time how long I'm jogging when I'm outdoors. Never tried any of the Biggest Loser ones, I don't know that I'd like having something monitoring me all the time.
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have had my Polar FT4 for 3 years. I absolutely love mine!
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Body Media unit also require some kind of monthly or annual membership fee to access their data base?

My own opinion here because I use Polar FT4 religiously and might be biased, but if you're having success with a medium you're already comfortable with, why change?
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone that responded, I just wasn't sure if I should chance the money on it, definitely sticking with my Polar!!!