grumpy

Goal of 1200, but exercising and eating more like 1500/1600 a day, and I feel SUPER grumpy and kind of depressed. Any advice? Technically I'm nourishing my body (eating unprocessed [mostly], no refined sugar, lots of protein) but I feel like I'm running on empty anyway.

Replies

• Is it a side effect of any medications you're taking for the hypothyroid thing? I don't know. Might be something to discuss with your doctor!
  • Also, if something like boxing, Yoga or Tai Chi is something that interests you, that might be something to consider. It might help even out your mental state!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Reduced your weekly weight loss goal to get more calories to eat or add more protein, fiber, fruits, and veggies to your meal plan.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Hi,
    I can't see your food diary.. but I would suggest eating more.. but choosing wisely.

Proportion your meals throughout the day, and adding in good fats to help you feel satiated. Divide them into 5 or 6 small meals (use a small plate, make the plate look pretty, and cut your raw vegetables or fruits into smaller pieces, so it feels like more. I make a salad with a cup of raw vegetables, chicken strips, and a mountain of lettuce (ok, two cups) but because I cut the veges small, it seems like get yummy in each bite.

i use frozen chicken strips for my lunch salad most days, that I divide into 2 oz portions all at once (zip lock), stuff lettuce in one sandwich bag, and the veges in another, a little bit of fat free dressing. I wash and dry the bags and use them again.. Easy to grab and go.. but filling.

I keep 9 almonds or 20 pistachios in my purse. ( I also pre-baggy those over the weekend)

In the plan that I am following there are basically 10 protein blocks and 4 carb blocks, + 1 cup of milk and a number of free items, like 2 cups of greens, unlimited lettuce and celery, 2 tablespoons of humus, dill pickles... things like that. I ALWAYS have at least one or two free things in my "food I am bringing to work bag" (Which includes two snacks and lunch) .. I often have a half cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, if my tummy is grumbling (I can have a cup a day.. 30 calories)

For mindset, I am telling myself.. this is just for two or three months. When I get to my goal weight, and start adding in calories .. I am starting a list of items to add first.. :) I also set up projects to do on weekends and evenings, besides watching TV or playing on the computer... I planted a flower bed, organized shelves and drawers, re arranged my bathroom cabinets ... Just a little project. If your house is already spiffy, then maybe a craft or something. I like the house work aspect, because it gets me off my behind.

Last week, I was at Target and the lady was taking an eternity to check someone out. I felt myself really feeling impatient... In fact I was so upset and grumpy. So, I asked the lady behind me to please let me out of line. Walked out to my car, ate my almonds, one at a time taking deep breaths. Went home to potty .. and went back to Target the next day. If you feel grumpy doing something.. don't do it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Reduced your weekly weight loss goal to get more calories to eat or add more protein, fiber, fruits, and veggies to your meal plan.

QFT
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    How tall/heavy are you?

I have a net goal of 1200 with an average intake of 1500 and I'm 5'0 at 126lbs.

Perhaps you should up your calorie goal. 1200 is low for most people and may be too aggressive.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    How's your sleep?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member

QFT

Agreed. It sounds like low blood sugar. Do you have pretty good insulin sensitivity? If you eat a really sweet fruit, for example, do you feel hungry quickly afterward (indicating low insulin sensitivity)? If your sensitivity is low, there are things you can do to improve it, and in the meantime, look into the glycemic load of your meals. Combining something high fiber with something high sugar (even natural sugars) will slow how quickly your body releases insulin to process it (i.e. smoothes the blood sugar response so you don't get a spike/crash). You will have to experiment to see what makes a difference for you.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    This is how I feel if I net 1200 calories per day--even if I'm actually eating a lot more due to eating back exercise calories. I don't feel "hungry" per se but I do feel weak, lethargic, brain-fogged, and grumpy--not matter what I eat. For me, it is a sign that I need more calories to function.

You might want to readjust your weekly weight loss goal setting so that you can eat more. I'm set at a.5 lb loss per week, and net about 1450-1500 calories daily (and eat more than that due to exercise). 1200 calories is just not sustainable for many people.
  • GFLowCarb
    GFLowCarb Posts: 7
    Thanks so much everyone for the responses!! Some REALLY good stuff there I didn't think about. I am hypoglycemic and didn't think about my blood sugar at all--what an obvious issue!

I'm 5'5' and 146 lbs. Does 1200 cal not sound reasonable for that height/weight ratio?
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    You can either adjust your net calories, so that you are losing less fat per week or just push through it. By netting 1200 calories a day, you're losing 1 lb. a week (according to your particular TDEE). You could net 1400 calories and lose .6 lbs. a week if you want.

Often times, I feel a bit grumpy when beginning to diet and exercise, but then I just get used to it. It helps a lot if you look at pictures of what you'd like to look like or remember what you're doing it for. Also, seeing results are very motivating, but take time to achieve.

If it were me, I'd push through the grumpiness and take measurements once in a while to keep me motivated. :) The scale can be motivating at times, but at other times, it can be very demotivating because any fat loss could easily be overshadowed by water weight fluctuation. Scales are the enemy, imo! lol
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Thanks so much everyone for the responses!! Some REALLY good stuff there I didn't think about. I am hypoglycemic and didn't think about my blood sugar at all--what an obvious issue!

I'm 5'5' and 146 lbs. Does 1200 cal not sound reasonable for that height/weight ratio?

I am 5'7, 176lbs eating 1700 - 1800 per day ... I would never think 1200 is reasonable ;)