Sucky Stupid Weightloss

Options
Ok, So i am not back to where I was 3 years ago.. but the scale is slowly creeping up, and I gripe about it and declare that I will fix it, I mean, I know how, I was only 15 lbs from my goal! But then I get up, find an excuse not to move my body, eat a bunch of crap, and then do the same thing all over again.
I truly know HOW, I lost 30-something pounds, I ate right, I worked out, I rocked! But then... I dunno, I just "gave up" and know I can't seem to find my footing to hop back on the wagon...

Please tell me I am not the only one who has done this, tell me you guys have too, but then you went on to get over it and kick butt?!?!

Any advice or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Fake it til you make it

In other words just keep logging and moving, even if you way overeat or only move for 15 min. Eventually it will start to sink in and your motivation will return.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Fake it til you make it

In other words just keep logging and moving, even if you way overeat or only move for 15 min. Eventually it will start to sink in and your motivation will return.

You are probably right. I remember when I started I did that "8 minutes in the morning" crap, and at my "prime" :laugh: I was running 10 miles a week.... guess I'm back to baby steps.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    1: I'm in my 60s.
    2.: I was over 200 lbs. when I graduated high school.
    3. I first joined Weight Watchers when you had to eat 5 cans of tuna and one liver meal each week.
    4. I just came back to MFP after regaining the weight I lost last year.

So, in answer to your question, perhaps not. It is your choice as it is mine. Whatever you decide, forgive yourself and know that it's never too late to try again. And again. And again. It's always a positive thing to try ... no guilt involved.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Fake it til you make it

You are probably right. I remember when I started I did that "8 minutes in the morning" crap, and at my "prime" :laugh: I was running 10 miles a week.... guess I'm back to baby steps.

I yo yo'd the same 20-30lbs for almost 20 years...yes I am sure most of us have done it. The trick for it to be your last time is to build your life so that what you are doing now is "normal"...don't give up foods just eat smaller portions...

choose an exercise you love not one you do because "you have to"

Log accurately and unless you are really good at estimating...weigh your solids...measure liquids and choose correct entries.

And unless you have a fantabulous memory expect to log at maitenance too...
  • bblumenberg
    Options
    That's my problem also. I have to keep motivated or I'll just sit on my butt on my days off. I'm off for four days and today is day one. I've been sitting here trying to get motivated and I think this post just did it haha!!!
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Find someone who can help. For example, I have a friend that does not live by me - we are walking buddies, when I head out for my walk I text her and ask her if she is going for a walk and we get on the phone and chat the whole time. Makes the time go by faster. On Wednesday night I texted her and she said "yep, will call in a bit" - come to find out she had already changed into her comfy pants and was settled on the couch when my text came - that motivated her to get up and change clothes and head out - we walked for an hour or more.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started, lost, stopped, gained, started & stopped again, several times over. Finally I got tired of starting over and was determined that I wouldn't ever have to do it again!

That was 1019 days ago, and since then I have faithfully logged in daily to MFP, tracked my food, and committed to exercise. :drinker:

When I first started back, it was just logging the food. Whether I was over or under, right on target, totally splurged on a birthday celebration - whatever. It got logged. It became habit. I reviewed my dairies each week and looked to see where I could do better, habits I could shift a bit, portions I could cut back on, or portions I could actually eat more of.

I added exercise, slowly at first - planned out my week with what I would do each day. I got my clothes out the night before, had the DVD set up if that's what I was using, and got up early and got it done - even if it was only 20 minutes. I learned that the struggle of getting up early wasn't as bad as the sucky feeling of regret later in the day for not having gotten my workout in. And soon that became habit.

The key thing for me this time around has been figuring out the PROPER number of calories that I need to eat - not too many, but not too few either. Trying to cut too low is what derailed me the first times - it wasn't sustainable and didn't fit into my life. There wasn't room for birthday celebrations, a special dinner out with hubby, wedding receptions or just to have dessert if I wanted it. I calculated my BMR and my TDEE - these are my upper and lower parameters for calories - and I took a cut from the high number, my TDEE. My activity level is factored in, so I eat the same number of cals every day - and for me that worked out 1800-2000 cals a day! :drinker: Now that's a sustainable number than I can live with!

Since eating this way, I have dropped to my goal weight and even a little beyond. But even better has been losing the FAT and INCHES off my body, and dropping sizes, and seeing nice muscle definition showing through as the fat has come off! And I'm eating pizza, burgers, ice cream, enjoying beer and wine and margaritas - not every night of course, but they fit into my goals on a regular basis.

I've kept the weight off for well over a year now, and am still trying to lower body fat % a bit, although lately I'm honestly not trying super hard. :tongue: But I eat right and I exercise and I'm looking and feeling better at 46 than I did in my 30's.

Great info here, and the plan I've followed: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me. I was down to my ideal weight about a year ago, and slowly over time, even with a trainer and a set meal plan I still screwed up. I read something that made a lot of sense to me. Because we are so comfortable with how we have always been, (not that we like it, but just what we're used to) we sabotage our efforts out of fear or stress.

I want to start a new challenge for myself, and anyone that wants to join me, in kicking these last 30 pounds to the curb! I know what to eat, I know how to work out and train, it's just the motivation and willpower is lacking. Maybe if a lot of us can be held accountable, it might help all of us to reach what we are striving to :)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    nah
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,007 Member
    Options
    I just loved the title of this post, lol!!

I think weightloss process/journey can be TOTALLY sucky AND stupid.

For today, it is TGIF and that is all.