New - obviously ;)

Options
Hi all!
I'm Jen - 26 years old, from Colorado. My younger brother directed me to the site for the many tools here on it, during my journey to getting healthy. :)
I've already lost 54 pounds since October, just changing my diet and recently starting to exercise. (23 of those since I signed up on here and have been lurking...hence the difference in my ticker weight. :))
But I have a LONG way to go (about 150 lbs....ouch...hurts to say =P ). I probably haven't been a "normal" weight since I was about 14....and then when I was about 18, after I lost weight then. Otherwise, I've always been either everything from a little chunky, to just fat. Like I am now.

I have no one to blame but myself - I have always used food as a comfort method for me. Comfort or to cure boredom. I know I could have always said no, or stopped myself but I didn't because I was just too weak to do it or didn't believe I could.
As bad as I ever was though, I got a Lot worse about two and a half years ago when my Dad and best friend, passed away. That to be blunt, really messed me up. Bed, food and crying involved a lot of the first year+. Then there was less bed and crying, but still the food.
One of the things my dad asked me to please do for him towards the end, was to get healthy because he worried so much about me and it hurt him to see me so heavy. I promised him I'd do it. And I finally just really want to honor that promise. For him and because I don't want to be this person anymore. I don't want to feel like the person I could be or want to be, is trapped under all this fat anymore. I want to be healthy and able to do things. I want to see who I can still become.

So that's a bit about me. Look forward to a healthier me and what it brings.

Replies

• onmyway1101
    onmyway1101 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will definetely find encouragement here. I will friend you!
  • kimmyh70
    kimmyh70 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP and congratulations on your 23lb loss! I'm new here as well and I completely understand the emotional eating factor, unfortunately for me it doesn't matter what mood I'm in, I love to eat! Of course, it's much worse when I'm sad/depressed. I'll send you a friend request, if you'd like we can help motivate and support each other! :smile:
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks Kimmyh70!
    Yeah, I get the loving to eat part! I have days where I just want to do nothing and eat a bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy. *sigh*
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am at the heaviest I have EVER been and I am just starting this weightloss journey!! This site is helping me a TON!! I hope it does for you too! I have found as long as your diary is available for your friends to see you are way more honest! I need to be held accountable and I love the support and encouragement from everyone on this site!!! I would love to be your friend if you are interested in another person for support and motivation friend me! Good luck on your weight loss journey to the new you!!!
  • smilestb99
    Options
    Wow, your story really sounds a lot like mine. I was starting to do really well last year until my dad had open heart surgery and then a stroke. Right before that, my best friend moved away. I had lost 20 pounds before that happened, then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I gained back over 50. Toughest year of my life by far. We had a talk the other day about how his negativity since the stroke affects me emotionally, and how my weight worries him. I would love to help motivate each other, please add me if you'd like. Sounds like you are off to a great start!
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.
    I truly do hope to find some more support here. :) My younger brother has been wonderful and I know he's helped me a lot, but I figure you can never have too many "cheerleaders" when it comes to something like this!

@smilestb99 - Sorry to hear about your year as well. =( *hug* Losing my dad was just horrible, he was my dad, best friend, everything to me. And it was like part of me died with him. And it's taken me two and a half years to start to come back to "life" at all.