weigh before or after cooking?

Options
Hi,

Just wondered if you're meant to weigh food before or after cooking? For example if 100g of carrots is 50 calories is that before they're cooked or after?

Confused!

Thank you

Replies

• IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    I weigh the ingredients before I cook them.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    BEFORE
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Well, you have the option to choose between carrots - raw or carrots - boiled,baked. But I see what you are saying.
  • isp3986
    isp3986 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I believe that is meant to be pre-cooked weight unless otherwise specified in the item.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything before I cook it and log it as "raw" whatever, but if you are cooking for multiple people it can be easier to weigh after you cook and log it as "food type - cooking method". Most things lose water when they are cooked and the same number of calories will weight less after cooking, so if you're logging cooked weight as raw, you're underestimating your calories.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Example #1: Most meats I weigh after unless the cooking method would cause it to absorb (e.g. stewing, deep-fry, etc.)

Example #2: Things that absorb (e.g. uncooked pasta), I do both. E.g. If 100g uncooked pasta is 2 servings, and is weighs 300g after cooking, then I know that the cooked serving size is 150g.

Example #3: If I'm cooking a bunch of stuff together (e.g. homemade marinara, crockpot stuff, etc.), then I weigh each ingredient before to add to recipe builder, and weigh the after to determine serving size.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    raw weight it always the most accurate. If you cannot use that then try to select and entry cooked in the same way you cooked your food.