Critique my workout

Options
Age 26
Height 5'8"
Weight 204
Very active during the workday
I lift weights 3 times a week, Tue, Thurs, Fri. The pace is almost like a circuit, dont stop until your done with all exercises...I have to be in and out the gym in 45 mins. I do these in order I have listed, not 3 sets of bench then move to the next exercise. etc etc.
TUE-
Chest and Triceps,
Circuit 1
Benchpress, 15 reps@ 135 lbs (185 next set, then 225 the last set, cant 15 on 225 though)
Tricep extensions with dumbell behind the back 15 reps-I run the rack starting from 25,20,15,10,5
Tricep extensions with rope on the machine 15 Reps 50lbs
Incline bench 15 reps @ 135
Circuit 2
T-bar for upper back- 90 lbs. 15 reps
Lawnmower pulls- 25 lb dumbell 15 reps
bent over rows- 45 lb dubmell 15 reps
lat pulldowns on the machine 80 lbs 15 reps
Some form of ab workout, either leg raises or crunches, or sit ups on the decline bench. 15-20
I do this all three times in this order and only increase the weight of my Bench-press.
THU-
Shoulders and Biceps
Upright rows with 45 lb. bar 15 reps
Curl with 45 lb. bar 15 reps
Curl, run the rack of dumbells, 25,20,15... on the 10 I do lateral raises to front, and the 5 i do lateral raises to the side all 15 reps
Military press with 25,20,15 dumbells, 15 reps each
Shrugs with dumbell, 75, 70,65
Shrugs with the Diamond bar(you step inside the bar) 90 lbs on each side.(unsure of how much this bar weighs)
Also the ab workout mentioned earlier

FRI
Legs and Lower Back
Circuit 1
Squats- 45 lb bar 15 reps(first set with just bar, 2nd with 135, 3rd with 225) I then hit 315 a couple of reps if I have time
Leg press- 90 lbs 15 reps
Leg extenstions- 80 lbs 15 reps
Calf Raises- 30 reps with the machine almost maxed out

Circuit 2
Straightleg dead lift- 135 lbs, 15 roe
Back hyper extensions- 20 reps
Leg curls- 30 lbs. 15 reps

Cardio- Monday, Wednesday, Saturday 20-30 mins 2.5 to 4 miles.

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but isn't the whole idea of splitting workouts into body parts like that a bit ineffective? You are basically having a week before you hit the same body part again which really isn't an optimal frequency. Can I ask what the reasoning is for doing it that way?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why split? There's benefits to hitting masses of muscles at once, an isolationist's routine isn't going to net those benefits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    I question the Circuit 1 and 2 along with the above. Are you saying you do Circuit 1 one week, then Circuit 2 the following week? Meaning that you're training those body parts every 2 weeks?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can't give you a good critique if I don't know what you goal is. Gain, maintain, loose fat etc?

Thanks!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Agree with coachJ, need some goals. It looks like mainly strength-endurance training, but off-hand looks like it could be tapered a bit and re-focused.
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well I know nothing about circuit training or anything in regards to that, I just know how to move my body :D But hey, it honestly looks great to me. If it is working for you and you are seeing progress then I say to continue with it! A lot of people on here are going to tell you that you should do it this way or that way, but everyone's bodies are different. As I said before, if you are enjoying it and its working for you then continue with your plan :)
  • shmerek
    Options
    ^^ Depending on his goals, there are optimal ways to do things that basically apply to everyone: volume frequency etc. I would say if he gives a clear indication of his goals people here can give him options that would allow him to reach said goals in the most efficient manner.
  • jtaylor2188
    jtaylor2188 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Shmrek
    Well, I'm not tooting my own horn or anything but when I hit the gym, its me and 3 other guys in a personal gym. And we "get it" . I feel like the sheer amount of reps are enough to, at a minimum maintain. Taking your advice into consideration, I may want to establish an extra day where I hit all three core lifts to minimize the length of time between each muscle group. What do you think?
  • jtaylor2188
    Options
    Ninerbuff
    Circuit 1 is the first half of the workout. 3 sets of of that, then move to the second circuit.
  • jtaylor2188
    Options
    Can't give you a good critique if I don't know what you goal is. Gain, maintain, loose fat etc?

Thanks!

Coach J,

Definitely slipped my mind. I am trying to lose some belly fat and at the same time tone up my chest, legs. I would like to increase my Lower body strength, in particular my lower back, quads, hams, and calves.
  • shmerek
    Options
    Personally I would never do a body part splits like your program, unless you are a genetic freak or taking roids it really won't be as effective as other methods. You want to be hitting body parts at least every 4-5 days not every 7. I would either do a full body, upper/lower or a push/pull split.
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ok, with the loosing of fat, that is going to be 80% nutrition. I'm sure you've heard it.. abs are made int he kitchen. The cardio and weight lifting will help yes, but make sure to hone in on your nutrition before adding more cardio otherwise you will end up needing hours and hours just to maintain.

With the lifting splits, i agree with the above post about working the muscles that you wish to grow (or tone) more frequently. You only really need 48-72 hours or so (depending on person) between working the same muscle. And don't forget to work some of the smaller supportive muscles as well. You don't want to have these big bulky muscles that are useless because the ones supporting them can't handle it.

Depending on how long you have been working out, I would recommend hitting up bodybuilding.com and seeing some of the gaining splits.

Just an FYI- a lot of people believe that muscle growth and fat loss cannot happen simultaneously unless you are really new to the game.. That's why you always hear about bulking and cutting.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Are you still in the Military? I had read something in school not too long ago about how training of some tactical groups is moving into the realm of CrossFit for the endurance component and individuals having to make decisions in an exhausted state.

RE Fat Loss: That was pretty much covered, dial-in your nutrition plan better.

RE Reps: 15 reps is largely in the realm of strength endurance. This is fine for things like Leg Extensions and Tricep Extensions, but if you're looking to maintain or even build strength you may consider increasing your weights and going into the realm of 3-5 reps or even 6-8 reps. Since you like circuit style training you could do a Complex, which is similar, so something like...

a1. Bench Press: 3 - 5 reps
    a2. Close Grip Bench Press 6-8 reps
    a3. DB Bench Press 10 - 15 reps (or Dips if you can work in this rep range)
    a4. Medicine Ball Chest Pass x 3 reps (or Soccer Ball Throws)
    *repeat for 4 to 6 circuits*
    *keep rest periods between exercises to 30-sec's, no more than 60-sec's*

If you feel you need tricep work after all that pressing then if you have access to some kind of light-band, do 100 consecutive pressdowns with it. It's easier on the elbows.

If you can do chin-ups then do a bunch of chin-ups, shoot for 50 to 100 per week. These also work your biceps very well, so if you're short on time you can cut curls altogether.

RE Lower Body Strength: If you're looking to build this you'll need to push around some heavier weight, especially on the squat. Again, if you like circuits then try something like this...

a1. Squat: 3-5 reps
    a2. Squat 8-10 reps
    a3. Romanian Deadlift x 10 - 15 reps
    a4. Jumps of some kind x 3 reps (Box Jumps, Depth Jumps, Broad Jumps, Tuck Jumps, etc) - These help build speed and power

RE Shoulders: Similarly...
    a1. Push-Press 2 to 3 reps
    a2. Barbell Press 5 to 8 reps
    a3. DB Press 10 - 12 reps
    a4. Shrugs, Lat Raises, wide-grip upright rows 15 reps. (pick just one)

Just my thoughts on that.