When I don't count, I binge

Options
I started using My Fitness Pal about 1 1/2 years ago and have lost a good amount of weight. I am always very accurate and make sure to count every last calorie that I consume. Now, I'm in a maintenance phase and can afford to take a break from counting every now and then for special occasions. The only problem is that whenever I decide not to count, I eat WAY more than I should–sometimes to the point of making myself sick. I think this happens because my mindset is: "Well, I should take advantage of being able to eat ANYTHING, so I'm going to eat EVERYTHING."

Honestly, I'm tired of counting all the time and wish I could just eat a normal amount without having to log everything. Any suggestions?

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First congrats on the weight loss!

Just because you made goal does not mean you dealt with the underlying issue of how you were over weight to begin with......not surface issues, the mental aspects. If you are a binge eater, you will have to talk with someone most likely or join a group like overeaters anonymous. Eating till you get sick, is not a good thing. Your "I should take advantage" statement sounds like you view the day to day as a punishment and not logging as freedom, when in truth the logging is providing freedom from your binging. Work on your perspective and how you view logging and your actions should fall in line.
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Just because you made goal does not mean you dealt with the underlying issue of how you were over weight to begin with......not surface issues, the mental aspects. If you are a binge eater, you will have to talk with someone most likely or join a group like overeaters anonymous. Eating till you get sick, is not a good thing. Your "I should take advantage" statement sounds like you view the day to day as a punishment and not logging as freedom, when in truth the logging is providing freedom from your binging. Work on your perspective and how you view logging and your actions should fall in line.

^ I love this!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You could always still weigh items before eating them. Weigh out a serving (or two), so you can visualize what you're eating. Plus it takes extra time to do so.
    And, echoing everything said above!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your "I should take advantage" statement sounds like you view the day to day as a punishment and not logging as freedom, when in truth the logging is providing freedom from your binging. Work on your perspective and how you view logging and your actions should fall in line.
    I don't think that's why it happens. I think it's a reaction to restriction (ie restricting yourself to x number of calories, even when you're not actually at a deficit.) I started reading about restraint theory and the boundary model recently. I don't understand it fully enough to regurgitate it here, but you (OP) might want to check it out. This is something I've struggled with too (only since I've been maintaining), and I think its actually more common than you might think.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

^great answer.

look at logging as a blessing to be able to aid rather then as a chore. - helps me :)

and usually when I see something when I'm starving like a piece of bread I think... "eh it's not worth pulling out the app and finding this exact bread" - so I just avoid the hassle and by the time your done contemplating this - your cravings should be gone.

Good luck! and congrats on your success.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Your "I should take advantage" statement sounds like you view the day to day as a punishment and not logging as freedom, when in truth the logging is providing freedom from your binging. Work on your perspective and how you view logging and your actions should fall in line.
    I don't think that's why it happens. I think it's a reaction to restriction (ie restricting yourself to x number of calories, even when you're not actually at a deficit.) I started reading about restraint theory and the boundary model recently. I don't understand it fully enough to regurgitate it here, but you (OP) might want to check it out. This is something I've struggled with too (only since I've been maintaining), and I think its actually more common than you might think.

I think both are correct. Feeling restricted is a perception, when that perception changes so should the response.

Most everything in life is perception and how the person views things.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    "Well, I should take advantage of being able to eat ANYTHING, so I'm going to eat EVERYTHING." I do think this statement says a lot about the way she thinks. This most change in order to change the binge. I too use to binge until I got sick. But I do agree with all the other things you said, kpost323.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

That makes sense to me, and I have noticed that even if in maintenance, if i see a set no. of calories I have to eat daily, I tend to have a lot of issues with binge eating that I did not have before I started logging. I have never been overweight though, so in truth, I think the logging is more of a part of my routine and an obsession that is hard to break.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm tired of counting all the time and wish I could just eat a normal amount without having to log everything. Any suggestions?

Wish I did.

It's hard.

Having excess and cheap food around is just something our bodies aren't acclimated to.
  • natmk07
    natmk07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow I could have written this post!!! I have the same exact issue. I have been logging since 2011 and after losing 50lbs I hit a platue of 4months and decided to delete my mfp acnt. only to start gaining the weight back since i was loggin i felt like it was ok to eat anything and everything. im back on mfp i try to stay accountable for breakfast and lucn and snacks but dinner i'm usually not logging. and i haven't been gaining weight back. but am also not losing the 15lbs i still had to go. any wya ur not alone and i wish we can figure out why we binge when we don't log. good luck feel free to add
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think this happens because my mindset is: "Well, I should take advantage of being able to eat ANYTHING, so I'm going to eat EVERYTHING."

I was just having a conversation with a good friend of mine about this yesterday. I call it the "start Monday" approach. I have similar thoughts. I use to think that Monday/Tomorrow I'd be perfect, I'd be completely in control, I'd exercise my willpower, so today I'd have one last hurrah. I had so many "one last days" that I eventually regained the 70 lbs I lost, and added an additional 70. It's a very common dieters mentality.

This is all anecdotal and personal, so take from it what you will.

After much trial, error, and tons of weight gain, I finally learned how to just accept my strengths and play to those. I eventually made the then scary decision to just say to myself "OK, you can have anything you want, as much as you want, when you want...with no guilt". Seems counter productive, right? But actually giving myself full freedom to eat whatever my trigger foods were set me free. Once I stopped moralizing my food choices, realized I wasn't "cheating" on anyone, and thus guilt in this context was a pointless lie, it changed my entire outlook on food. It made it easier to get to the point of saying "OK, since I can have it when I want, I can wait". And often I do. Sometimes yes I overindulge, and you know what? That's perfectly OK too. It truly helped set me free.

I've lost close to 80 lbs with this approach, and counting.

As far as the calorie counting? I hate it too, so I don't do it. I use to low carb, but now I intermittent fast and have learned the tenants of intuitive eating. That helps me far, far more than calorie counting ever did.