Tuna Salad with Avocado--any recipes?

Options
reddplanet
reddplanet Posts: 9 Member
i've been seeing comments about people using Avocado in place of mayo/mustard for tuna salad. Does anyone do that? What's your recipe?

Replies

• donnacase1966
    donnacase1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but if you find one I would sure like to have a copy!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I had that today. Can of tuna, avocado, red bell pepper, onion, and some pepper. I love it!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Anyone try this one, posted right here on MFP? I just bought an avocado today....

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/06/avocado-tuna-salad/
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not *exactly* what you're asking for - but this one involves tuna and avocado. It's darn good if you have some high quality tuna. Not counting the wonton crackers, it works out to about 184 calories per serving, 5g fat, 18g carbs, and 18g protein.

Ahi & Mango Tartare
    Makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

TARTARE
    2- to 3-tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    Juice 1/2 lime
    1/2 tsp wasabi paste
    1/2 lb sushi-grade ahi, diced small
    1/3 cup green onions, white and light-green parts, finely chopped
    1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
    1/2 ripe avocado, diced small
    1 medium ripe mango, diced small

WONTON CRACKERS
    Whole-wheat wonton wrappers

Directions:

Mix soy well with oil, lime juice and wasabi in a small bowl. Set aside.

Gently combine remaining ingredients in another bowl and add soy mixture; mix well but don’t mush ingredients. Garnish with sprouts or herbs of your choice just before serving, if desired.

Prepare Wonton Crackers: Preheat oven to 300°F. Cut wonton wrappers in half and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until just beginning to brown.

Serve tartare with crispy Wonton Crackers.

Source: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Ahi-_-Mango-Tartare-490282
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    As a Hellman's Real Mayonnaise addict, I've been trying various partial substitutes to see which work well and leave me without mayo cravings. Right now in the lead are

- 1:1 ratio of Hellman's to fat free yogurt
    - 1:2 ratio of Hellman's to mashed avocado

Both are yummy. If you do decide to go all avocado, make sure to add something tangy to mimic the vinegar bite of mayo, e.g. lemon juice, lime juice or vinegar.
  • crisdai
    crisdai Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i do.i use one tuna can,( drain the water) , half avocado.i mix them together with a fork, add a little salt , garlic sliced very thin and eat it on sliced red bell peppers !
  • itsmeleelee
    itsmeleelee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prepare my tuna salad this way - 1 can of tuna, 1/2 an avocado, mashed, and I like to put a spoonful of hummus as well (chipotle is my favorite). Enjoy!!
  • lemonsnlove
    lemonsnlove Posts: 200
    Options
    I need to try this!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I technically don't like to mix my avocado in with my tuna, but I use Patak's hot lime pickle in place of mayo in the tuna, then fill the cavities of the avocado with it. Yummy for my lower carb/higher fat meal. I've never really liked mayo anyway.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Nbentz214
    Nbentz214 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to eat tuna with diced avocado (half or 1/4 of an avocado) with a spritz of lemon juice, two hard boiled eggs (only the whites) chopped up and mixed all together. A pinch of salt and pepper makes it perfect if you are able to eat added salt!

The creaminess from the lemon juice and avocado tastes very refreshing and filling with the egg whites and tuna!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/17420518139/tuna-and-avocado-wraps

This is YUM. I highly recommend it!

Ingredients (serves 1)

1 (5 oz) can of wild albacore tuna in water
    1 scallion, thinly sliced
    1/2 jalapeno, diced small
    1/2 medium avocado
    1/2 lime
    Kosher salt
    Freshly-ground black pepper
    2 butter lettuce leaves
    2 Pure Wraps or toasted nori (optional)

Crack open a can of tuna, dump it in a medium-sized bowl, and gently break up the meat with a fork.

After you’ve chopped the scallions and jalapeno…toss them on the tuna. Mix in salt, pepper, and a spritz of lime.

In a separate bowl, mash half an avocado with salt, pepper, and the rest of the lime juice.

Scoop up the guacamole, add to the seasoned tuna…and stir to combine.

Grab two Pure Wraps or sheets of nori and place a piece of lettuce on each.

Divide the tuna salad onto the lettuce, wrap it up, and chow down.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Made my first non-mayo tuna salad today... yum!

Scooped half of a very ripe, borderline brown, avocado and mashed with a fork.
    Can of solid white albacore in water drained and mashed up with avocado.
    Added salt, pepper, onion powder, touch of chili powder, and a squirt of lemon juice.

Scooped it over chopped romaine tossed with lite vinaigrette, and some sliced cucumber. It was delish.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump