Biggest Loser and Starvation Mode?

trubeauty
trubeauty Posts: 29
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
So I was wondering, with all the talk about meeting your calories and not going into starvation mode... How is it that the contestants on the Biggest Loser continue to lose MASSIVE amounts of weight? They cannot be eating even close to what they burn given that most of them are on a 1200-2000 calorie diet and exercising at 2-6 hours a day. I'm thinking they have a deficit of at least 2500 cals. So what gives???

Replies

• mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    they are not on 1200 diets... i dont know what it is but i can guarantee you that
  • I cant say for a fact but Ive always heard that at least the women ARE on a 1200 cal diet. I would be curious to know for sure though.

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    They are in starvation mode and losing massive amounts of lean body mass with the fat. Basically they are burning all of the calories through exercise and very little through metabolism because of starvation mode.

For example their base BMR should 3,000 but because of of starvation mode mode it could be cut in half to 1,500, (which is a huge number even for starvation mode)
    They still only eat 1,200 so that's -300 calories there.

Now they exercise for 6 hours, burning about 4-5K calories, they are big people and therefor burn more calories than most of us.
    They now have a over a 5K calories deficit daily or about 10lbs per week not including lean mass and water.

Your metabolism can't be zero, even in starvation mode, you'd be dead. So a 50% decrease in metabolism is extremely significant to most of us because we can't workout 6 hours a day because we have lives, for the people on the Biggest Loser, that is their life and they have nothing else to do but exercise.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    I cant say for a fact but Ive always heard that at least the women ARE on a 1200 cal diet. I would be curious to know for sure though.

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

I've read they are "pressured" into eating less, this was from a former contestant. They also sit in saunas to drop water weight.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    It's a TV show, put on for ratings, reality shows will do simply anything it takes for ratings. Can't really compare real life with Reality TV, it's not very realistic to do so. We only see the bits of the shows they allow/want us to see not everything behind the scenes.

Best to stick to reality and good health practices:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • triben
    triben Posts: 64 Member
    you have to admit they have done some amazing things with diet and exercise without resorting to medications and surgery. the weight is gone. now keeping it off can be a problem.

I am sure they do things that or not shown on tv. It has inspired many people to lose weight and get healthy through good old fashion diet and exercise.

this post ties into another post about re eating exercise calories and that you can still lose weight weight without treating them is a safe healthy manner.

They may be in starvation mode but there is a difference between eating 500 calories a day and 2500 calories a day and working off 2000. the net is the same but the body reacts in different ways
  • sooo I actually have mutual friends with one of the "at home" winners. He said that he ate 1800-2000 calories a day and there was NO sauna! lol Just to clarify.

Also, here it was... they are "assigned homework" in the am... usually a typed of cardio... they ate then Jillian workout with them in a tough training session (2 at a time while the others did cardio...walking and what not) then they had lunch and the trainers hungout for the afternoon and then they were back to the gym for more cardio. The time JILL was in the gym she had circuits set up and did kick their butts for sure... but it's not what everyone thinks "6 hrs of last chance workout." ;)

I think it is just REALLLLLLY a hard burn for people so out of shape then they mix it up constantly so their bodies are ALWAYS guessing.

I am talking to the BL winner right now as he is at the police station. ;)
  • Looking at some of the posts brings back an 'ol saying to mind; " I don't believe nothing I hear and only half of what I see" ~cheers~
  • Looking at some of the posts brings back an 'ol saying to mind; " I don't believe nothing I hear and only half of what I see" ~cheers~

That is TRUE! haha
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    Water weight, extreme weight loss tactics and tons of hard core exercise. Comparing your weight loss progress to the progress of game show contestants like those on the Biggest Loser is like comparing your fitness level to Hollywood people. No comparison, not realistic, and quite probably impossible.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    However they do it, I do hope that it is healthy! But I love the show and find it very inspiring. I wish I had Jillian yelling at me when I was doggin' my workouts. :drinker:
  • I have been trying the Biggest Loser diet for 3 days now... I am NOT in starvation mode... in fact, quite the opposite is true, I feel satisfied after every meal (or snack) because they structure the day...
    We have to remember too, these people are in a competition... If they don't shed massive poundage, they go home, back to their lives that got them to be big in the first place....
    The Biggest Loser diet (or lifestyle change) helps you eat the right amount of everything, so your body has all it needs to be fueled for your day.... and women are expected to eat 1200 and men are expected to eat 1800 cals per day... The whole point of the show is to work off more calories than they consume so that they can lose 41 pounds in one week.... I know it's crazy, but remember we are NOT contestants on the biggest loser, we are just people trying to shed some pounds so we can be the healthiest we can be... We're not competing against one another we are here to support and encourage one another!!!
    Good Luck
  • I have been trying the Biggest Loser diet for 3 days now... I am NOT in starvation mode... in fact, quite the opposite is true, I feel satisfied after every meal (or snack) because they structure the day...
    We have to remember too, these people are in a competition... If they don't shed massive poundage, they go home, back to their lives that got them to be big in the first place....
    The Biggest Loser diet (or lifestyle change) helps you eat the right amount of everything, so your body has all it needs to be fueled for your day.... and women are expected to eat 1200 and men are expected to eat 1800 cals per day... The whole point of the show is to work off more calories than they consume so that they can lose 41 pounds in one week.... I know it's crazy, but remember we are NOT contestants on the biggest loser, we are just people trying to shed some pounds so we can be the healthiest we can be... We're not competing against one another we are here to support and encourage one another!!!
    Good Luck
    sounds like a recipie for gallstones!
  • I had gal stones and none of my drs could guarantee anything that caused it. It is common in people who lose or gain a large amount off weight, and pregnant women. So what IS the recipe?
  • claz33
    claz33 Posts: 1
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet and it works great for me. Sometimes im even just under 1200. I feel alive, full of energy, I havent felt this way since I was a teenager. Its great! I think the whole starvation mode depends on the person. Im 150lb and 5'1. I always feel full! This is my second time doing the 1200 calorie diet. The first time I lost 20lb. After I went off my diet I just watched what I ate and didnt gain anything back!!! Its a year later and Im ready to loose another 20lb.
This discussion has been closed.