I don't log my exercise...is that bad?

Options
I never...really have ever logged my exercise even when I used a different website for calorie counting years ago... Some strange part of me just doesn't believe in "earning" more calories for the day...because to me that counterproductive... Why go through the trouble of exercising if you're going to eat all the calories back. Totally NOT saying that one shouldn't exercise... but just saying that.... to log every little activity you so you can eat more.... to log a 30 minute run so you can eat more..... I just don't believe in that. Exercise for me is to give me an extra weight loss boost for the week... I just set my activity level on the site to my average activity level.. which for me is lightly active. That should pretty much encompass any little walks or runs I do... and it estimated for me the amount of calories I should eat based on my activity level... so why am I logging my exercise and eating even more than that? Its just counterproductive. Opinions?

Replies

• hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're getting the results you want, you're doing fine.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I log my exercise, mainly because I like to hit my exercise goals on here but I only eat when I'm hungry. I have a food addiction so only eating when I am hungry is a big part of how I keep it in check. All that to say sometimes I eat them back and sometimes I don't.
  • hung901
    hung901 Posts: 4
    Options
    I never log my exercise. Just keep my macros consistent
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I do long my exercise calories and eat them back because otherwise I would lose weight and I don't need to any more. When you set up your profile in MFP, your calorie deficit is already built in and your net calories at the end of the day is what's important. In other words, if MFP set you up to eat 1500 to lose one pound a week, if you don't eat back those extra calories, you end up losing more when you don't necessarily want to. I have preferred losing weight slowly rather than quickly, which is how I used to do it. The weight never stayed off.
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't log mine either. Mostly because I find the calories burned on MFP to be wildly inaccurate and they don't even list half the exercises I do. I just use fitocracy to track my workouts.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The reason your should eat some of your calories back is because your calorie goal is already set at a defecit; if your losing 2 pounds a week, its a 1000 calorie a day defecit. So when you exercise, it creates a larger defecit. Sure you'll weight faster, but the weight you lose will come from lean body mass. Basically youll lose more muscle then what you should. A slower weight loss will ensure your weight loss is coming mostly from fat and not the attractive muscle that helps shape your body. But suit yourself....
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I do the tdee method, so that already accounts for my exercise in my daily goal. MFP method gives you a calorie goal with a built in deficit without exercise, so that if you choose not to exercise you can still lose weight by staying within your calorie goal.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The reason your should eat some of your calories back is because your calorie goal is already set at a defecit; if your losing 2 pounds a week, its a 1000 calorie a day defecit. So when you exercise, it creates a larger defecit. Sure you'll weight faster, but the weight you lose will come from lean body mass. Basically youll lose more muscle then what you should. A slower weight loss will ensure your weight loss is coming mostly from fat and not the attractive muscle that helps shape your body. But suit yourself....

very insightful.... lucky for me I don't workout excessively... I don't really have to, I lose weight pretty quickly, but I also gain weight easily...
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I never...really have ever logged my exercise even when I used a different website for calorie counting years ago... Some strange part of me just doesn't believe in "earning" more calories for the day...because to me that counterproductive... Why go through the trouble of exercising if you're going to eat all the calories back. Totally NOT saying that one shouldn't exercise... but just saying that.... to log every little activity you so you can eat more.... to log a 30 minute run so you can eat more..... I just don't believe in that. Exercise for me is to give me an extra weight loss boost for the week... I just set my activity level on the site to my average activity level.. which for me is lightly active. That should pretty much encompass any little walks or runs I do... and it estimated for me the amount of calories I should eat based on my activity level... so why am I logging my exercise and eating even more than that? Its just counterproductive. Opinions?

I do it because I'm short (5'3") and old (48) so to lose weight I have to net about 1350 calories and I'm *hungry* at that level. So if I go for a 30 minute run and "earn" 300 calories, I get to eat 1650 and still lose weight!
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I log mine but don't eat them back... I like to earn a nice deficit in cals it makes me feel good.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I just log it as 1 calorie.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I think it's useful. I regularly eat at above my normal goals if I have exercises a lot that day. If I don't I find that I end up just out of energy and lounging around the next day. In the end it's better to burn fat than starve it. Mind you I wouldn't suggest eating back ALL of your exercise calories. Both MFP and exercise machines have a tendency to over estimate. I would say eat half back .. .max. IF that suits you of course. Every body is different. But I do quite a lot of exercise. To the extend that I often burn in excess of 1.5k calories on gym days. If I didn't eat back some of this I would quickly over train and burn out. But honestly if you don't do much exercise it won't make a lot of difference.
  • ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't log mine either. I set my daily calorie intake to where it should be (according to my calculations) and I'm losing nicely. I don't get a huge amount of exercise but I try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day. I don't want to eat back those calories, I want them to be 'icing on the cake' (probably not the best analogy for this discussion, lol).
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever log mine anymore
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I log mine but don't eat them back... I like to earn a nice deficit in cals it makes me feel good.

this, more or less...also since I know I can't log my food calorie to a T, knowing exercise calories there to compensate any error I made with food stresses me a little bit less
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I do write down my exericse in the blog section just for reporting purpose. Going back to last year, I can see how many days I worked out and what I did. it's kinda of proud feeling. :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I never track my exercise.. I just have an estimate that I use (calories burnt) for every day.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just log mine as 1 but I like to keep a record of it there too.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit to keep track of my exercise and eat back the calories that I "earn" from being active during the day. Here are my reasons:

1. My activity level varies from day to day. If I set my activity level to match my workdays, I'd overeat on my days off. If I set my activity level to match my days off, I'd be famished on my workdays.

2. I like food! To me, exercising isn't about creating a greater caloric deficit, it's about enjoying more food while maintaining the deficit I already have set up with my account. I like being able to eat out, eat a variety of foods, and feel like I am not depriving myself. In order to do that, I need to build the extra calories into my diet somehow.

3. I have no desire to lose weight faster than I already am. If I didn't eat back my exercise calories, I would not have a tangible motivation to exercise.

To each their own. As long as you're not hungry and you are feeling okay, you're probably doing what works for you!
  • yourfitnesspal
    yourfitnesspal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Earning Calories back doesn't necessarily mean that you need to eat them, it's just to get a more accurate number. Your body has a relatively set number of calories it will burn in a day naturally just so you stay alive. This is called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).

Let's say your BMR was 1500 calories a day, and you lived a somewhat active lifestyle, perhaps now your daily calorie requirements would be closer to 2000. Eating 2000 calories a day would be a maintenance diet, any less than that would be a calories deficit in which you would (theoretically) begin losing weight, and an excess of 2000 calories would do the opposite. Of course I feel that glucose and insulin play a large role in fat production or loss as well, but let's not get into that just yet.

If you've done a ton of cardio one day, say you worked off 500 calories, your body would essentially be asking for 2500 calories in exchange for the service of keeping you alive and active on that particular day. If you are trying to put muscle on (which raises your BMR as well as your ability to burn calories throughout the day), you don't want to be at TOO much of a deficit .

Just a different perspective for you.