flat stomach: squats or deadlifts?

Options
I eant a flat stomach. Which excersise is best to achieve this?

Replies

• Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Do both.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts will give you more pronounced stomach muscles, but a flat stomach is going to come from your diet more than anything. If squats and deads were the be all for a flat stomach you would not see so many power lifters sporting a gut.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts will give you more pronounced stomach muscles, but a flat stomach is going to come from your diet more than anything. If squats and deads were the be all for a flat stomach you would not see so many power lifters sporting a gut.

Definitely this. Developing abs is a different story, but if you want a flat stomach you just need to be in a calorie deficit and keep losing fat until your stomach is flat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Fork putdowns and table pushaways.

But seriously, most reputable beginner programmes will have both on the schedule (SL 5x5, SS, etc.). So pick one of those and get your diet on point. Results will follow...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Fork putdowns and table pushaways.

But seriously, most reputable beginner programmes will have both on the schedule (SL 5x5, SS, etc.). So pick one of those and get your diet on point. Results will follow...

This...abs are made in the kitchen...
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    Thx. Its mainly a deficit until I lose enough fat
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Be careful, deadlifts can hurt your back.

I thought you didn't know how to do them? Or was it that you could pull 315? My memory is failing me....
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Be careful, deadlifts can hurt your back.

I thought you didn't know how to do them? Or was it that you could pull 315? My memory is failing me....

I recently discovered that they can hurt your back if you don't know how to do them, even at 155 lbs.

As I told you in the other thread. Respect the lifts. At any weight they can injure you.

But you can injure yourself doing any exercise incorrectly, deadlifts are no different.

Gain the knowledge and experience to do them properly. Progress slowly and rationally. Eat properly, sleep properly and recover well. Get stronger. Progress.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a six pack, just have to uncover it. Whether you deadlift or squat is really irrelevant when it comes to a flat stomach. Both will engage the Core for stability, but when it comes down to a flat stomach it's largely related to your nutrition plan. Exercise for strength, health, and whatever physical goals you may have. Eat to help support those goals, including a more toned stomach.
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    Thx everyone
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Plate pushbacks.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Most ab exercises will create a pot belly and push the organs forward. I am sure this is something you are trying to avoid.
    Based on what research?
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    Ab exercises cause pot belly? WOW some people need to take some sports science lessons. Deadlifts and squats are both really good at building your core, but they wont help in getting a flat belly. Cardio and nutrition will make your belly flat and the an exercises including deadlifts and squats will only make your abs stand out more when you lose the fat around the belly
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ab exercises cause pot belly? WOW some people need to take some sports science lessons. Deadlifts and squats are both really good at building your core, but they wont help in getting a flat belly. Cardio and nutrition will make your belly flat and the an exercises including deadlifts and squats will only make your abs stand out more when you lose the fat around the belly

But she's a CPT!

I seriously want to know specifically how ab exercises will cause distension of your organs.