Really high daily recommended calories intake

Options
I've been using myfitnesspal for a week now and have never been able to even come close to balancing out my calories. I am looking to maintain my weight/gain some more muscle. I am 6'1" and 160lbs so the app recommends eating 3250 calories a day. I have a pretty labor intensive warehouse job and I burn around 3000 calories a day just working. Everyday it says my net calories is -1500 to 500 and I should eat the corresponding amount more. This would have me on a 6000 calories/day diet though, should I try and meet this goal?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What activity level did you choose?
    Are you also logging your work? That should be included in your activity level.
  • bhart623
    bhart623 Posts: 3
    Options
    I chose very active and I do log the calories burned from my job as well as the ones from working out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I chose very active and I do log the calories burned from my job as well as the ones from working out.

The very active setting should account for your work calories. I would not log them again. How much are you getting for exercise, what are you logging?
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

On MFP the activity level accounts for your job calories burned and daily life. You should only enter exercise calories. That's why you are getting such a high amount
  • bhart623
    bhart623 Posts: 3
    Options
    Oh ok, then that resolves my concerns. I'm pretty beat after work so I only log like 200-500 calories a day of other exercise. But, if I stop logging my work calories meeting my daily goal should only require a slight increase in my diet. Thanks a lot.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you have been pretty much maintaining your weight up to this point, just do what you have been doing and add a protein shake and maybe another carb-loaded snack. That should give you a modest calorie surplus.. You really want probably about 250-500 cal per day surplus. If, however, you have lost down to what you now are at, then of course you will need to eat significantly more. Best wishes on your endeavor.
  • mcjimy
    mcjimy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Probably shouldn't log the calories from your job. That is what the settings are for. If that is what you meant you were doing. I personally only count working out and cardio activities.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Unless you literally are a logger or a lumberjack I really don't think anyone should be eating 6,000 calories a day......... Even that one olympic swimmer guy who trained over 12 hours a day only ate 5,000 something calories a day..... sooooooooo. yeah.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Unless you literally are a logger or a lumberjack I really don't think anyone should be eating 6,000 calories a day......... Even that one olympic swimmer guy who trained over 12 hours a day only ate 5,000 something calories a day..... sooooooooo. yeah.
    Actually Phelps consumed 12,000.