Being heavy, can one learn to jog??

Options
Hi Everyone,

last week I was reading a post about a fellow MFP'er who was asking about learning to start jogging/running. Well, I got to thinking about it as well and thought that maybe I should start jogging again too.The last time I jogged or tried was the day I started my new diet the day after Thanksgivings, it wasn't pretty but I was so aggravated when I found out about my ex and his new girlfriend I just wanted to blow off steam and I was angry at myself for getting this way. The last time I jogged/ran was back when I was 17, now 41. I ran two miles everyday and loved it, I was so thin and felt great,until I got shin splints and had to quit. I was heart broken at the time. My Question is, am I too heavy to start re training myself to jog again at the weight I'm at now which is 290? Should I lose more weight before trying and will it be too hard on my body right now. I already ordered a pair of $129 running shoes, I want to start off right. If anything I will probaly look ridiculous and get made fun off unless I jog at night when no one can see me! I want that feeling of the running high you get and I know I can lose weight so much faster if I start jogging again. Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks friends. :)

Replies

• Loobyloo36
    Options
    In short......... NO! Just do it and you will feel so much better.

A girl at my running club could hardly run a few hundred yards without getting out of breath and having to stop an walk - she has since lost 5 stone and now runs half marathons. Her husband has lost 4 stone and runs whole marathons.

I hope more people on here give you more advice and positive comments, just do little and often and you will see the results.

It's a shame you gave up due to shin splits, but I know how painful they can be as I have suffered from them before from too much running, so just take it steady and wait for the results.

BEST OF LUCK :-)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will definately give it another shot. I will start off slow, walk, jog, walk, jog untill I can jog nonstop for at least 2 miles. It really does become a great feeling once you get there, it just takes times and that is how I started when I was 17 thanks to my mom. I never thought I would like running but I loved it, it was so strange. You don't understand the runners high you get until you experience it for yourself. Thank you for the motivation I so needed.
  • LoseItCorinne
    Options
    I too used to run in high school. I am 26 now and it kills me to run, I downloaded an app onto my phone called Couch to 5k. Its a 30 min work out. basically you walk for 3 min and run for 1. you can download your own music and its easy to follow. I still have a hard time finishing it but it really does help. Seriously it was painful to even run a few blocks.

Not sure if you have access to downloading apps to your mobile or an Ipod. but try doing the walking for 3 and joggin for a minute.

Hope this helps.
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    One Word.......NO !

I have recently taking up jogging mainly because my hubby has done many many marathons, half marathons etc and I have always been envious watching him and tearful when he finishes because I was so proud, which is what has spurred me on I am pretty overweight, but a group of friends were going on a cruise (I wasnt) and they challenged themselves to do the couch to 5k program so that it finished right on the cruise......I started....... the cruise had been and gone and I was still on week 4 ! but I didnt give up

If you are self concious I have a couple of ideas -

1. Get a treadmill at home you can jog whenever, whatever ... this is what I started on until it broke .. now I have to do it the old fashioned way - which I actually prefer

2. Get a goal in mind to aim for - I set a target of a 5k race for life which yes is a 5k but you can walk/run/jog the way round - thinking being if you cant manage to run the whole distance you will still finish the race and wont be self concious of walking because you wont be the only one

3. If you do go out - put an mp3 player on (not too loud for safety) but if there are any comments you wont be able to hear them, chances are the catcallers are jealous anyway, (and just think in a few months you can whizz by them, stronger and fitter but they will still be bitter)

Anyway Ive rambled enough...If you have ordered the trainers I would go for it, It costs nothing the hardest step is the first one over the threshold but you can do it - FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY - Good Luck x x

PS since this I have mentally commited myself to running a marathon in October so I need to take my own advice lol x
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here. I'm no expert by any means. First I admire runners. My daughter was an accomplished runner and I encouraged her to do so. I attended every one of her events for 7.5 years.

Having said that and judging by myself and by what little I know. I say lose a few more pounds first. The pounding on the knees is horrendous. Further women suffer more knee injuries than men due to the shape of their bodies. It wouldn't be worth it to be taken out of action because of a knee injury. Especially when you are doing so well. I jogged some last year and all I can think of is Thunder Lizard. I really pounded the earth.

One of the most beautiful sights I ever saw was a young lady strolling down the street, moving so gracefully and so carefree.

Best wishes and continued success.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am too just starting to jog, very slow, but jogging no less. I have been told by many that once you start jogging/running the weight will melt off. You have to start somewhere/sometime, make that time now. I also do weight training so I can help strengthen the muscles in my legs to hopefully keep injuries away.
    Good Luck!!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I jog/run three times a weeks and love it! don't worry about other people and their negativity, you have to start some where right? Just walk/run/walk/run, before you know it, you will be able to run long than walking, attune your pace to what you're body is telling you. Good luck and you can do it! strong will will win the day!

MM2x
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I just downloaded the c25k app on my iphone. I'm going to start with that. Soze, thanks also for the advice. I will not push myself by all means, not to much anyway. If something hurts I will stop. I will most likely do more walking to start than anything. I am feeling very motivated to begin. Now, if only I could feel 100% again, this flu/cold really kicked my but for the last 7 days! I'm starting to feel better gain but it's really cold outside now and I don't want to get sick again so I will wait untill I'm at 100%. You guys are the best! Thanks so much for your input.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I finished the last run of c25k about an hour ago :bigsmile: and its an awesome program.

I`m 44, overweight and an ex heavy smoker with a desk job and I`m now running 30 - 35 minutes easily so If I can do it you certainly can. Please feel free to add me if you need a bit of support.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I just downloaded the c25k app on my iphone. I'm going to start with that. Soze, thanks also for the advice. I will not push myself by all means, not to much anyway. If something hurts I will stop. I will most likely do more walking to start than anything. I am feeling very motivated to begin. Now, if only I could feel 100% again, this flu/cold really kicked my but for the last 7 days! I'm starting to feel better gain but it's really cold outside now and I don't want to get sick again so I will wait untill I'm at 100%. You guys are the best! Thanks so much for your input.

I wish you well. It is a worthy go. I tend to be on the cautious side. At least follow what at least one other person said and do leg/knee strengthening. Uh take that slowly too.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I second the C25K program. My daughter and I are both on MFP and heavy - she ran a half marathon - she used the C25K program to begin then, when she had completed that she started a half marathon training program. Go for it - you won't be sorry.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    go for it walking to start do not make excuse any day just get up and do it even if feeling bad walk the minutes cant do the speed thats ok walk the min your body will love you for it no excuse ever