I felt like I was dying?

Options
I find that the first week or two of calorie restricting......particularly the first three or four days are just absolutely gruelling for me........but now that I've been back on the ban wagon for two weeks I feel greater than I've felt in long time, I feel light and energized..... no sleepiness or fatigue. Does anyone have knowledge as to why I feel like I'm dying the first three or four days? I tried to go on 1200 calorie diet but I felt absolutely sick and miserable so I bumped up to 1360 the second time around which has been working well. Why is it that one would feel sick on a 1200 calorie diet, especially since I was taking vitamins and eating protein?.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because it is not enough food for most people. :huh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough food for most people. The feeling like absolute crap for a few days then feeling better may also be related to you cutting something out to reduce calories, like a large amount of caffeine or sugar. You have withdrawal like symptoms for a few day then get over it.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    When I made up my mind to lose weight last year, I started with the recommended lose-two-pounds-a-week-eat-1200-calories thing, and I think I lasted two weeks. As soon as I bumped it up to lose 1.5 pounds a week, I felt more energetic. After I lost about 15 pounds, I changed my goal to lose 1 pound a week. When Ih ad 15 pounds left, I set my goal to lose .5 pounds per week. I've lost 43 pounds so fat and am trying to learn maintenance, which is all trial and error.

Always eat enough to fuel your body. The weight will come off, but the less you weigh the longer it takes to get it off. Patience is a virtue.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I made up my mind to lose weight last year, I started with the recommended lose-two-pounds-a-week-eat-1200-calories thing, and I think I lasted two weeks. As soon as I bumped it up to lose 1.5 pounds a week, I felt more energetic. After I lost about 15 pounds, I changed my goal to lose 1 pound a week. When Ih ad 15 pounds left, I set my goal to lose .5 pounds per week. I've lost 43 pounds so fat and am trying to learn maintenance, which is all trial and error.

Always eat enough to fuel your body. The weight will come off, but the less you weigh the longer it takes to get it off. Patience is a virtue.

Awesome....I'm trying to lose just about 40 pounds myself!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Any sudden drop or fluctuation in calories will cause hormonal disruptions, sleep disruptions, mood swings, and a protective response from the body - most people binge back their calories within two weeks of starting a diet, and end up heavier than before. Any sudden change in food intake - even if it's still above weight maintenance - will produce side effects as your body adjusts.

1200 calories is too low for most people unless you're inactive, have a lot of weight to lose and want to do it quickly. I lost most of my excess weight at 1200 calories, although I was tired a lot of the time. As the weight dropped and I exercised more, 1200 became miserable. These days I am careful to hit maintenance because even small deficits will produce some side effects, poor exercise performance, and very possibly binge eating. I can't tell you how many days I cut 500 calories to get ahead of the game, then binged 1200 over maintenance the following day, and didn't feel full at all. It was an absolute waste of time.

I'm reading about the Ansel Keyes starvation experiment and learning a lot about the the psychological effects of dieting - and how prolonged restriction can hurt the body's ability to maintain a normal weight. The men in the experiment were put on starvation diets to take them significantly below a healthy BMI. The subjects became socially withdrawn, obsessive, neurotic about small details of exercise and food, miserable, with no sex drive. When the subjects returned to normal eating, many binged and did not feel full no matter how much they consumed. They lost some muscle mass and ended up heavier than their starting weight. Most eventually lost the excess over a period of months after the experiment, without trying to diet.

You can lose weight fast at first, but maintenance is the real annoyance.

Your body will get used to the calories if you give it a week or more - but try 1500 and see if that's less annoying. There's no way around the side effects, that's just a product of weight loss.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Totally true! Ask my husband, I was almost impossible to live with the first three days of my diet, and I didn't even intend to have a 1200 calorie diet. I thought I had set it correctly and MFP had just given me 1200. I was steamed but tried it and after three days I went back and re-checked and saw the settings messed up. I have about 1400 to 1500 calories plus exercise calories that I eat back and no issues yet in losing weight.
  • dboodram1
    dboodram1 Posts: 3
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough to sustain most people. Eat more like around 1400