Half marathon

Options
Hey runners!
I've always wanted to be a runner and by that I a mean a good one. Recently I started a c25k program, it's 8wks long but I'm flying threw it so maybe only 4/6 weeks for me. However shooting to run a half in Central, Fl on 10/5. Do you think it's doable? And any advice you can share on preparing for a half or participating in one would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It very much doable to run a half marathon. I find tossing in bike rides into your training helps to build muscle endurance along with high reps when lifting weights. For the most part its all mental when it comes to running a marathon. Make sure to be hydrated and well carb up prior to the event. Good luck.
  • Ruckus85
    Ruckus85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you! Funny I just bought a bike today. I'm currently doing a JM program along with running everyday.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    A half in October is doable. The main thing is to keep on a plan that adds distance, but not too much too soon (that leads to injury). After you complete the C25K, train to a 10K, then get on a plan focused on half. Listen to your body as you progress, and make sure you have a good pair of running shoes.

If you haven't already, run in a 5k or 10K race, too. That way, you get the sense of what a race day is like before your half.

Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ..... running everyday.

So what that brings in is a significantly increased injury risk. While hitting HM in October is achievable, you're risking not being able to as a result of that.

I would suggest stepping back to what's generally a reasonable frequency of four runs per week, concentrate on quality not quantity. It's pretty aggressive in terms of time, so if you get hold of a plan and stick with it you're probability of success is improved.

I assume that you're just going for completion, rather than a target time?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was just able to run 3 miles in June of 2012 (in 40 minutes) and my sister convinced me to do a HM in October that year. Maybe i was risking injury, but i always planned to back off if it seemed my body couldn't handle it. Anyway i got myself on a 12 week hal higdon plan starting the first week of July and followed it to the letter. In August i tried out racing for the first time and was shocked to find that consistent running (no speed work for beginners!) lowered my 5k time from 40 minutes to 29. The HM went awesome too! I stayed with my sister who had a heart condition at the time, so i took it nice and easy and finished in 2:22 feeling strong. It was a great experience, so glad I did it! And I've run 5 more since then including 1 pushing my 4 y.o. in the jogger last month on a hilly course.

My experience may be different than yours, but it's completely doable. Just follow a plan. And i do think part of my success was due to my love of slower running. it's easier on the body to go slow.

i missed the running every day part. Don't do that! A proper beginner HM plan would be 4 days running a week.