Is a late night snack feasible?

Options
In the past I always adhered to eating nothing after 7pm. But I want a late night snack of something unprocessed like fruit or veggies. Is it okay if I haven't went over my calories for the day? I don't want to be too strict on myself and quit.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Meal timing is irrelevant for the purposes of general weight loss.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gone over your calories OR you are truly hungry - EAT. I don't consider times to be relevant.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If it fits you eats!

I'm having Cheerios right now (7:30 pm) and I'll have some ice cream and cookies later (around 8:39 or 9) I almost always do a dessert before bed
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think its fine. I generally have nuts or yogurt at midnight.
    So far no issues.
  • SugarFreeV510
    Options
    I respect all of your opinons!! I see success with all of you, and that is reassuring. I am under my calories for the day, and because of all of you I'm not afraid to EAT!!! Lol thanks to all of you so much!!! =]
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Generally if its past 11 and I get hungry I drink water or milk and this helps. Sometimes I need more so I would eat something like an egg white boiled or chobani greek yogurt. Log it all!!!
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    Yes, just don't overeat and then lie down.
  • Ruckus85
    Ruckus85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In the past I always adhered to eating nothing after 7pm. But I want a late night snack of something unprocessed like fruit or veggies. Is it okay if I haven't went over my calories for the day? I don't want to be too strict on myself and quit.
    Thanks in advance.

Of course as long as your in the right macros. I try not to eat after 8 but sometimes that doesn't always work. My favorite night time snack is something on the sweet side tonight I blended a cup of frozen fruit with a splash of juice, it was thick like sherbet. It was delish. Or another favorite of mine is reduced fat pb with fat free cool whip, mixed together it taste just like a white chocolate pb cup. Amazing! Or there is always veggies/almonds are good 23-26.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Or another favorite of mine is reduced fat pb with fat free cool whip, mixed together it taste just like a white chocolate pb cup. Amazing! .

That does sound interesting I'll have to keep it in mind when looking for something sweet to eat. But yea I never restrict myself from eating after a certain time.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I eat half my calorhies for the day at dinner and afterward. I know I will be hungry without fail at around 9, so I make sure there is room for that. Not huge on breakfast.
  • Auna37
    Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you haven't reached your calorie count then go for it. Just don't eat something that will keep you up all night XD
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat most my cals later in the day, but i always make sure to leave some left over for late night. I had a mug cake about an hour ago

10454204_1439389989660813_289084422_n_zpsa52b2f24.jpg
  • Auna37
    Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Can I eat that picture? It looks really yummy!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I always plan a bedtime snack, which I usually eat sometime between 11:00 and 1:00 (depending on when I go to sleep). I tend to have a glass of milk with sugar-free cookies or cheese melted on toast or, if I need the protein, a protein bar. I need to take my metformin at bedtime, so snacks like these tend to reduce the nausea I get from the pill and help me wake up feeling decent in the morning.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I agree, time is irrelevant to your eating pattern so long as you are eating within your calorie quota. However, I find I can make bad food choices when I am closing down towards sleep and that is the danger time when I may go over, so I avoid late night snacking.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's always about calories in vs. calories out (whether you are trying to lose, maintain, or gain weight). So as long as you hit your targets (I prefer weekly average caloric goals) it doesn't matter when you eat.

When losing weight i frequently ended my night (at about 10:00 with a few servings of ice-cream). The idea that late night snacks make you fat is B.S. Calories in vs calories out.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree, time is irrelevant to your eating pattern so long as you are eating within your calorie quota. However, I find I can make bad food choices when I am closing down towards sleep and that is the danger time when I may go over, so I avoid late night snacking.

I agree. That's why I plan my meals in advance for the day, including my bedtime snack. Since I'm already avoiding sugar and trying to keep to about 120 mg carbs/day, I think it's easier for me to avoid going over than it is for some people without those restrictions. It's all about knowing what you can eat and sticking with it, just like any other part of developing a healthy eating style.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    as long as your mouth doesn't magically close, then yep :) Right now I am snacking on pepperoni and a cheese stick.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

I agree. That's why I plan my meals in advance for the day, including my bedtime snack. Since I'm already avoiding sugar and trying to keep to about 120 mg carbs/day, I think it's easier for me to avoid going over than it is for some people without those restrictions. It's all about knowing what you can eat and sticking with it, just like any other part of developing a healthy eating style.

Yes - I think for me, I would need to factor in the late night snack and prepare it in a box in the fridge early on and then go to it and nothing else for the late night snack. That way it would form part of my daily eating routine.

The problem with that - for me - is that would most possibly trigger a feeding frenzy as I find late night is the weakest part of the day. ................ "Do not feed the Yogi after 9pm"

edit: one solution could be to prepare say 50g of a good quality muesli with some fresh grapes, strawberries in season, or whatever and eat that with milk, which would satisfy the late night munchies without overstimulating the appetite fro stronger flavoured high calorie stuff.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If it's within my calories, yes.
    I'll eat at 3 am for all I care. However, I won't eat an hour or 2 before bed because the food doesn't digest properly.