Women strength training and cutting fat.

Options
I've had some great advice here but I'm just wondering if any women here strength train?

I'm 34, 5ft tall and 118lbs. I initially did lose 5lbs but now I've gained it back as muscle. I've lost inches off my waist and thighs, I Aldi have muscle on my arms and abdomen. I do 3 gym sessions a week. One back, one arms and one legs days. Mix of free weights and resistance machines. 12 reps, 2 sets. I do about 7/8 different exercises each workout, 2 sets. On the other 3 days from home I do some light cardio with weights to work arms and legs day. Also I enjoy yoga.

I was eating 1800 cals a day. I want to she's some fat on my stomach that I'm still struggling to use despite the workouts and abdominal exercises I do. Fitness pal suggested 1400 cals to lose 1lb a week. I just want to cut the fat but I still want to do my training. Will 1400 be enough? I know you are supposed to eat back your workout calories aswell.

Just wondering what others do.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to a half pound a week instead of a pound.

Find a good solid full body compound routine with built in progression. Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. At you level there's no reason to spit it up so much and at only 3 days a week you are only hitting each muscle group once every 7 days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • jingyd32
    jingyd32 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have that book for women, it's great.

I do a leg day at home, and a back and arm workout at home with free weights and cardio. So I think I'm hitting my muscle groups twice a week just only at the gym 3/7 days.

I'm 4 months in and loving it I'm just confused about the calories I should be having. At 1lb a week it lowers it to 1200cals and at 0.5lb 1380 cals bu I still says I will expect to lose 1lb a week.

Thanks for your help.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started with a body-part split similar to what you describe...lots of people have success with training splits instead of SL, SS, NROL styles, in spite of these programs' cult-like following on MFP. Definitely eat your calories back if you're starting at 1400 as a base. Have fun!! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Gained 5lbs of muscle? how long did that take as it is very hard for a woman to do that....noob gains are a viable but it wouldn't be 5lbs worth.

If you are in a deficit you did not gain any muscle...sorry.

As far as stength training a program that has compound lifts esp if you are so new to lifitng. I've been lifting for 10 months and still won't do a split. Split routines are geared more towards more "advanced lifter", body builders etc.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/09/15/full-body-workout-vs-split-routine-which-is-better/

The reason a lot of us like the SL and SS is because of it's simplicity and the range of muscles it hits with each move. We are building strength galore and still losing weight.

As for food with 5lbs to lose 1/2lb a week is quite sufficent so I would suggest finding your TDEE and knocking 5-10% off that...

I personally do SL 3x a week, and do cardio/HIIT 2-3x a week and have no issues losing weight (trying to find maitenance atm).
  • 2PieceNow
    2PieceNow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really think it helps to take a supplement like glutamine and take a high protein recovery shake! As women we sometimes look at the weight lifters and say "I am not like that", but our muscles burn that lactic acid too! I love the HITT classes TRX and les mills body combat. I am also running and jumping rope on days I don't weight lift. Diet as you know is 60% of it. NO junk hi protein!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I really think it helps to take a supplement like glutamine and take a high protein recovery shake! As women we sometimes look at the weight lifters and say "I am not like that", but our muscles burn that lactic acid too! I love the HITT classes TRX and les mills body combat. I am also running and jumping rope on days I don't weight lift. Diet as you know is 60% of it. NO junk hi protein!

I take no supplements and get all my protien from meat/dairy/eggs...at least 120 grams a day typically.

And diet is 80%...

Junk? you mean like chips and fast food...good sources of protien in burgers and chicken at those Fast food joints.
  • jingyd32
    Options
    Thank you all for great advice.

To lose 1/2lb a week mfp says 1400 a day so I'm going to stick to that then eat my calories back after exercise. So I should get them up to around 1600-1700.

Maybe it's not muscle gain then. Although people are commenting on the size of my guns lol! I can't understand how I've dropped to 8 stone 4lbs and now back up to 8 stone 9lbs. I eat no junk at all! I workout 6 times a week, strength, weights and low impact cardio. I don't drink. Strange. That's why I want to eat lower cals and carbs, see of it helps. I just wasn't sure if that was ok when lifting.

What's SS, and the other abbreviations? Sorry to sound thick.

I've made up my own routines through research. I do arm day, back day and leg day and do 45 minutes at a time. I like free weights but also like the resistance cable machine in the gym.

Thanks again ladies :)
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for great advice.

To lose 1/2lb a week mfp says 1400 a day so I'm going to stick to that then eat my calories back after exercise. So I should get them up to around 1600-1700.

Maybe it's not muscle gain then. Although people are commenting on the size of my guns lol! I can't understand how I've dropped to 8 stone 4lbs and now back up to 8 stone 9lbs. I eat no junk at all! I workout 6 times a week, strength, weights and low impact cardio. I don't drink. Strange. That's why I want to eat lower cals and carbs, see of it helps. I just wasn't sure if that was ok when lifting.

What's SS, and the other abbreviations? Sorry to sound thick.

I've made up my own routines through research. I do arm day, back day and leg day and do 45 minutes at a time. I like free weights but also like the resistance cable machine in the gym.

Thanks again ladies :)

SS= Starting Strength SL= Stronglifts NROLW= New Rules of lifting for women. These are all lifting programs that are popular here. If you like your program, and are seeing results you like, keep doing it. Eating low-carb/low-calorie is counter-productive to building muscle and muscular strength. If weight loss at any cost is your goal, go ahead. If losing fat and looking muscular is your goal, don't avoid carbs.
  • jingyd32
    Options
    Just read the link, thank you.

I like doing split routine because I workout 6 days of the week doing full body each day doesn't give much muscle recovery time so I like to split. Also I suffer with low iron levels and when I tried full body workouts it was just too much for me, it knocked me sick. I once did arm, back and shoulders in one session and felt ill coming out of the gym so splitting it has helped. I do 2 days of arms a week, 2 of legs and a back day, then I do a day of low impact cardio usually. I forgot to say I train abs for 15 minutes a fair few days a week too.

Also I forgot to mention I wasn't eating a deficit until now, the last couple of days. I was previously eating 1800 cals.
  • jingyd32
    Options
    Thanks so much liftnlove :)