How Do I Log this Recipe??? Cooked or Raw

Options
BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
So i used the old recipe feature on MFP and it was 220g already cooked pork, 100g each of raw celery and onion, 20ml olive oild and 30ml of hickory bbq sauce. We all know ml is equal to grams so i just added up these amounts and got 470 total grams but when it was cooked I got 390 total grams. My prob is what weight do i used for my recipe to get the correct cooked weight. I ate 250grams of cooked product but it really differs in calories for cooked weight vs raw weight. I actually used the cooked total weight for my recipe but does it really make sense? i have no idea. raw celery and onions are logged.

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would note on the recipe that the cooked weight was 390g and then weigh/log the cooked meal. I'm assuming the weight difference is due to water cooking out of the veggies and bbq sauce.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    The weight will be different because when you cook, things like water evaporate and make the food weigh less..
    I'd log it as the cooked values.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Log the individual ingredients in the recipe builder, as they were BEFORE you cooked everything together. Then since you know the weight of the final product, I would divide that weight by the number of servings, and figure out how much of a 'serving' you ate when you consumed your portion of it.

ETA: ML =/= ALWAYS equal gram. It depends on the density. 1 ml of WATER = 1 g of water, but as we all know oil is less dense than water which is why it floats on TOP of water, so 1 ml of olive oil =/= 1 gram of olive oil.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Maybe I should log cooked onion and cooked celery in the recipe builder. Then weigh the final product all together, then weigh what I eat of it. Sound accurate?
  • DivineChoices
    Options
    Maybe I should log cooked onion and cooked celery in the recipe builder. Then weigh the final product all together, then weigh what I eat of it. Sound accurate?

If you didn't WEIGH it cooked, don't log it cooked. If It was raw when you weighed it, log it as RAW.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

If you didn't WEIGH it cooked, don't log it cooked. If It was raw when you weighed it, log it as RAW.

I weighed it ALL raw then cooked it and weight it ALL cooked. Then weighed a portion of of cooked to eat. Confused.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Log everything as it went in the pan, which means raw. Decide how many servings you want it to be. When it comes out weigh the total product and divide by the number of servings.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think dieting has become way too stressful for some folks. Does it have to be an exact science?

Edit
    How Do I Log this Recipe??? Cooked or Raw

How are you eating it? Eating it raw? Then log it raw. Eating it cooked? Log it cooked. Both raw and cooked items? Log the cooked when cooked, log the raw as raw. Easy-peasy, no science involved. :huh:
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Calories don't disappear during cooking - the difference in weight between the raw product and the cooked product is down to water evaporation. Since water doesn't have any calories, I'd assume the calories in the cooked meal are the same as they were in the raw meal.

So, log the recipe as per the calories in the raw ingedients, then when it's cooked, divide the number of calories by the number of portions you make. As long as the portions are all the same size, it shouldn't really matter.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Calories don't disappear during cooking...

But, if you're heating the food isn't it like burning calories?
    :laugh:

I'm yanking yer chain. I can't be overly serious about this thread.
  • DivineChoices
    Options
    I'm thinking my chain is getting pulled. I don't understand why the concept is so hard to grasp. If I throw 10 raw ingredients in a pan, I build a recipe w/ the 10 ingredients logged as raw since they were when I weighed them. TA DA! It tells me how many calories are in the pan (whether the ingredients are raw or cooked!). I decide to divide it into say 10 servings. Each serving is now 1/10th of the weight of the product (whether you cook it all now together and take 1/10th of the final weight, or take 1/10th of the raw ingredients and ONLY cook that portion/serving).
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    raw
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    it really differs in calories for cooked weight vs raw weight.
    I think you did math wrong somewhere. The calories for 2/3 of the cooked food should be 2/3 of the calories cooked OR raw because those totals should be the same.

The fact that you ate it cooked and weighed it originally raw is irrelevant, like was said above. The reason to weigh the ingredients is to get a good TOTAL calorie value for the whole dish. The reason to weigh your serving and the end dish is to know what portion of the dish you ate. You ate 2/3 of the dish, you ate 2/3 of the calories from your original total.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Your food will have the same amount of calories when it's cooked than when it's raw.

Obviously you can't weigh your portion raw once it's cooked though... so log everything raw, weigh it cooked to see how many grams it weighs per serving, then weigh your portion and log that.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    lol, thanks. sounds like once again Ive over complicated something so simple. As for figure out how many servings per dish - can't do that, it would be different amount dished out each time. So I weigh total cooked product in grams and weigh out the grams that I eat each time until the meal is gone.

But now I get it, the cooked and raw weight IS different, but the total calories stay the same. Perfect! Thanks.