DNA Fit

Options
Anyone out there used DNA Fit? I've just sent off my swab awaiting results. Read about it in the Daily Mail. Apparently the Rngland football team are using it to tailor the player's diet and exercise programme to their DNA! If it's good enough for them......!!! It's cost me £99 and they will send me a diet and fitness programme based on my DNA. Can't wait! Anyone else tried them?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    hate to break it to you but it sounds like you got ripped off
  • sharie65
    sharie65 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why do you say that? Have you used them before?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    no just the fact that they are examining your DNA to give you a health and fitness regime, they could easily do that without the DNA examination. fitness isnt as complicated as most people make it out to be, just exercise and eat a healthy, properly portioned diet
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least you only wasted £99. I've wasted far more on dumber things.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there used DNA Fit? I've just sent off my swab awaiting results. Read about it in the Daily Mail. Apparently the Rngland football team are using it to tailor the player's diet and exercise programme to their DNA! If it's good enough for them......!!! It's cost me £99 and they will send me a diet and fitness programme based on my DNA. Can't wait! Anyone else tried them?

Yay I get to post.....
    39b6a201d8808d5a9ce084e1bb3bc4fa6b0bfecaefc8d941b37dc23fb4e10b88.jpg
  • sharie65
    Options
    http://www.dnafit.com/
    Read the bumf and the science behind it and then tell me I've wasted my money!
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140601201954.htm
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Read the links. Still seems like a bit of a waste. As far as I can tell, the article details research that showed DNA may be used to identify food preferences such as white wine vs red wine. It appears that the study to try to utilize this for weight loss involves designing nutrition plans around more foods that someone is less likely to prefer. The reason that this seems like a waste is that you probably already know what foods you prefer. Wouldn't it be easier just say to yourself, "I like chocolate a lot. I should eat less of it, or else I may binge." Or if you really need someone to design a meal plan, tell that someone that exact same thing. Why spend money for someone to make a fancy educated guess?

I mean it could work. But I feel that DNAFit is charging money to reveal information that you already know.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes you've wasted your money.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

You've still wasted your money. You don't have to get butthurt over it, we've all spent money on useless crap in times of weakness or ignorance. I bought Yohimbine one time.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Well if it's in the daily mail it must be true.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, I was reading the Daily Mail article this morning and had a look at the website. However:

"Dr Nicola Pirastu and her team, from the University of Trieste in Italy, monitored 87 obese patients on the DNA diet for two years, as well as 104 who were on standard diets, in which they simply ate 600 fewer calories a day.

Their Body Mass Index, or BMI, was also recorded. BMI is a way of measuring weight that takes height into account. A healthy BMI is between 18 and 25.

Those on DNA diets saw their BMI go down by an average of 1.8 points, while the other group saw it decrease by 1.3 points. Patients on a DNA diet also gained more muscle, at an average of 6.1 per cent compared to 5.3 per cent.

Dr Pirastu said: ‘Although there were no significant differences in age, sex and BMI between the two groups at the beginning of the trial, we found people who followed the gene-based diet lost 33 per cent more weight than the controls over two years."

The DNA group lost 1.8 BMI points over 2 years. For me, that's about 10lb over 2 years. It's better than nothing, but it's not much. The control group lost 1.3 BMI points. So the difference between the two was about two or three pounds of weight loss over two years. Are those couple of pounds worth £99?
  • sharie65
    Options
    Fair point but it's not just the Daily Mail that are writing about this. I've read about it in the Times and Telegraph. It's only that it appeared in yesterday's Mail!
  • sharie65
    Options
    Funnily enough, I was reading the Daily Mail article this morning and had a look at the website. However:

"Dr Nicola Pirastu and her team, from the University of Trieste in Italy, monitored 87 obese patients on the DNA diet for two years, as well as 104 who were on standard diets, in which they simply ate 600 fewer calories a day.

Their Body Mass Index, or BMI, was also recorded. BMI is a way of measuring weight that takes height into account. A healthy BMI is between 18 and 25.

Those on DNA diets saw their BMI go down by an average of 1.8 points, while the other group saw it decrease by 1.3 points. Patients on a DNA diet also gained more muscle, at an average of 6.1 per cent compared to 5.3 per cent.
    When you've tried all your life to loose weight including a gastric band and bypass, every little bit counts!
    Dr Pirastu said: ‘Although there were no significant differences in age, sex and BMI between the two groups at the beginning of the trial, we found people who followed the gene-based diet lost 33 per cent more weight than the controls over two years."

The DNA group lost 1.8 BMI points over 2 years. For me, that's about 10lb over 2 years. It's better than nothing, but it's not much. The control group lost 1.3 BMI points. So the difference between the two was about two or three pounds of weight loss over two years. Are those couple of pounds worth £99?
    When y you've been dieting all your life and have had a gastric band and bypass, believe you me, every little bit counts!!!!:smile:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

The DailyMail is a tabloid. They can't even get their writers to master basic grammar and spelling in some of their articles. They are not a scholarly source.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not only have you wasted your money, but you've wasted our time by posting almost identical topics in more than one section of the board (which is against the MFP community guidelines).

Everyone in the world has their own unique combination of DNA, so why not make your own unique meal plan based on the things you enjoy, that includes a sensible caloric deficit? If you believe your DNA makes your weight loss plan unique, why are you paying for some company to fit you into one of 5 pre-made plans? That seems counter-intuitive to me, but I guess some people don't think things through and enjoy throwing their money away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Let's not complicate it.

Weight gain/loss is DIRECTLY attributed to one thing......................calories. Overeat and you gain. It's not any more simple than that.

Regardless of one's DNA profile, the above holds true for everyone on the planet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For some reason, this seems like an over glorified scheme. £99? I'm sure you could have got food feedback from MFP or another fitness/health forum.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Fair point but it's not just the Daily Mail that are writing about this. I've read about it in the Times and Telegraph. It's only that it appeared in yesterday's Mail!

They all probably took it from the same press release from the European Society of Human Genetics.

This led me to do some reading around in PLOS and PubMed to see what the state of the research linking genetics to taste and obesity is. Seems it's at the very beginning and leaping to conclusions from the one study (and charging folks 99 pounds for an individual analysis) is way premature.

I wish I was still associated with a university so I'd have access to Science Citation Index search to see who cites the Pirastu and Robino study to see what they have to say. Anybody want to throw me some Web of Science results?