Walking or Running: What is better?

Options
six1908
six1908 Posts: 99 Member
Hi guys. I'm starting to exercise again and walking my dog each day (so far 3 in a row) for 1 1/2 to 2miles up and down hills has been beneficial to me. I've stretched and am drinking plenty of water but I noticed today that I was having leg pain so I made sure to cut the walk a lil shorter than the other 2 days. I would eventually like to get where I could start a couch to 5k, but the last time I did that I got a deep bone bruise on my tibia and don't wish that kind of pain on anyone. I am 6'4" 320 and just want to become a slimmer, healthier me. I've switched to only drinking water and black coffee and in the 2 weeks of just drinking water I feel great! Can anyone help me with a walking program or should I man up and start jogging.. it's all hard pavement where I'm at with hills and inclines. Thanks for any help you can give!

Replies

• Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Someone far more knowledgeable than I am will likely chime in soon, but at 320 pounds, I would stick with walking for now. Running will be very hard on your joints. Just carefully monitor your calorie intake, and walk fast and up and down hills. Weight loss is mostly diet anyway.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would go with walking. What about swimming or aqua workouts? Could you do one of those? Less pressure on the joints and also helps lower risks of injuries
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't think there really is a beginner walking program. just get out there and walk! keep track of your walks on a calendar, either digital or paper, both by distance and duration.

some of that bruising and pain will stop occurring as you lose weight. i wouldn't "man up and start jogging" as you put it for a while. walking is a great form of exercise.

but i can understand that you might want to do something a bit more intense than walking. so i'm suggesting to go out and bike. i was heavy and hated to run, so i dusted off my old mountain bike and started cruising around the neighborhood. i loved it. i got long and intense work outs in, without beating up my body like running left me. and soon enough, i started to be able to run because i had lost weight and gained cardiovascular endurance that translated over well to running.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    depends how quickly you want to get there. :flowerforyou:
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Running is much better because you can get more miles in and more calories burnt. And the calorie rates for walking and running a mile are different, it takes more calories to run than walk. I can burn 3700+ calories during a marathon.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying that seems to fit your situation.

Don't run before you can walk.

If you're getting pain from walking alone and at your current weight running is a bit too much. That's just my opinion of course, others may disagree.

Good luck in your journey.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Did your tibia heal? Was it ever bone scanned? Far more likely that it was a stress fracture than a deep bone bruise. Bones don't really bruise, just soft tissues.
    It could also be avascular necrosis but you probably be getting worse instead of healing.
    As for running with your history start very slowly. Also, get a vitamin D blood test. Vitamin D deficiency is so common and can cause all sorts of aches and pains.
    I rarely see a patient over the age of 30 with a normal vitamin D level unless they are supplementing with 2,000 IUs daily.
  • lblair31374
    Options
    Running is much better because you can get more miles in and more calories burnt. And the calorie rates for walking and running a mile are different, it takes more calories to run than walk. I can burn 3700+ calories during a marathon.

No offense, but that's not helpful for someone just starting out.

Take your time. Try a walking app. I use Map My Walk. You can slowly graduate to running if your joints, lungs, and heart can handle it as you progress. Good luck!
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more real food. Plants with iron and calcium (because plant nutrients are healthier and more easily absorbed by the body) and it could help with your pain
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You burn just as much walking 3 miles as you do running it. It just takes you longer to get that burn because you are walking. I run 3 miles in 29 minutes and walk 3 miles in 60 minutes and my calorie burner comes out with the same number. So in essence you are burning calories faster when you run. I would suggest you starting out walking. It's much easier on your joints. No worries...enjoy and smell the roses while you're at it! :)

Best of luck!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I believe running is harder on your body than walking so at your weight I would stick walking and you could try hiking with a back pack on to burn more cals or even just walking with apack on. My pack is anywhere from ten pounds to just over 20 pounds.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Can you seek out hillier (?spelling?) terrain? Make your walk/hike more challenging without doing damage to your joints. Do you have access to a pool for more low impact cardio?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    i don't think there really is a beginner walking program. just get out there and walk! keep track of your walks on a calendar, either digital or paper, both by distance and duration.

some of that bruising and pain will stop occurring as you lose weight. i wouldn't "man up and start jogging" as you put it for a while. walking is a great form of exercise.

but i can understand that you might want to do something a bit more intense than walking. so i'm suggesting to go out and bike. i was heavy and hated to run, so i dusted off my old mountain bike and started cruising around the neighborhood. i loved it. i got long and intense work outs in, without beating up my body like running left me. and soon enough, i started to be able to run because i had lost weight and gained cardiovascular endurance that translated over well to running.

There are plenty of walking programs out there...

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51134/Half-Marathon-Walk-Training-Program

There is one for a 5k and one for a half marathon.

They both last about 12 weeks but weeks can be repeated if necessary. They start out gradual and build up in time and distance.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying that seems to fit your situation.

Don't run before you can walk.

Maybe get yourself a walking app like endomondo, map my walk, or like me get a fitbit.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I just started walking/jogging today. I'm using Runtastic to track my pace/distance.

I walk and jog. It doesn't have to be either/or. I start with a walk, and then jog for a bit, then walk - I listen to my body. I'm only doing half of a mile right now, and my pace is 20 minutes per mile, but you've got to start somewhere!
  • runfastmom
    runfastmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Running.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'd say any exercise that isn't stressing the body. So not running. Yet. That will come OP!

But mostly, it's the calorie deficit. With a lot of fat to lose you can cut quite hard for a while.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Walking for your size and activity level. Try to pick up the pace as you get more into it. So say you are going to walk for an hr…walk for 30 min turn around and head back home…..next time try to get a bit further. It takes time to build up endurance.

Also, is the leg pain you feel muscle fatigue from just beginning? That would be expected.

Invest in some good shoes and replace frequently. I'm sure you and your dog will both enjoy your walks!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

The OP is 300+ lbs...maybe not quite ready for marathon training. :)

OP, I hurt so much when I started out. I was so heavy all my joints plus the bottoms of my feet hurt a lot. It's great that you're walking, but also great that you're paying attention to the pain. It will get easier and less painful as the weight comes off. In the meantime, biking and swimming are great for burning calories without stressing your joints. I took up spinning at my gym and dropped about 50 lbs before I felt ready to start running.

Keep going, you're doing great! :)