Protein Powder - Need advice

Options
Hi fit friends :)

I need some suggestions for protein powder. I recently read an article written by a nutritionist basically stating a lot of protein powders include many added artificial ingredients/preservatives so you have to be careful that you are taking one that is beneficial.

I have been drinking "Pure Protein Whey -Vanilla" it includes 25 G Protein, 2 G Sugar, 150 Cal per serving and I purchased it for $19 at Target

I know protein can be expensive, but If what I am taking is not affective I would rather pay more and have something that is healthy and packed with protein..

I work out 5-6 times a week and I typically drink the protein towards the end of my work out or in between a 2 hr session.

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Any protein powder you get is going to by definition be a "processed food". If you are someone who avoids processed foods because you think they are unhealthy for you, then you should get your protein from whole food sources.

If you want to use protein powder, Whey protein is probably your best bet. It is the protein from milk isolated and in powder form. As far as one protein powder being more effective than others, that's total BS. All whey protein is going to be almost exactly the same. Protein from different sources have different Bio-availability values meaning that your body is able to utilize certain proteins better than others. The Bio-availability of Whey protein is the absolute highest you can get from any protein source. There is a difference in protein from plant sources. Your body is not able to utilize all of it and the amino acid profile in plant sources is not as beneficial as that found in animal sources.

Short Version: If you're using Whey protein, you're fine
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That's great! I was hoping to not have to buy more protein. the stuff I have now says 100% Whey so that should be a good sign. I try to only eat minimal processed foods (cheat days) and I have a hard time fitting enough protein into my daily diet with just food, hence the need for a shake. On the days that I eat enough protein I skip the shake. Thank you!