This plateau stinks! Help!

Options
Good morning!

So, I have hit a plateau for awhile now. Last night I spoke with a friend that says she uses Isagenix, which to be honest, I am NOT interested in. It seems really expensive, and I don't like that they have "consultants". Something about that always makes me think PYRAMID SCHEME! Anyways-- She said that she does the following:

Day A= Shake for breakfast, protein shake (after workout), lunch (something lean and light), snack (yogurt/string cheese and hard boiled egg or avocado and tuna) then a shake for dinner.

Day B = shake, snack, shake, snack, dinner.

Day C = shake and then cleanse day

Then she does an hour of cardio 6x a week for one hour and weights 30-45 6x a week.

Here's my question, do the shakes really make the difference in this situation? Or, what? And what is a cleanse? Should I be cleansing... lol? Also, as I am considering trying replacement shakes are there some that are healthier than others. I KNOW food is the best way to go. But, I find myself in a pickle at times and am wondering if this would help me get off the plateau and then I could return to clean eating.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Ideas? ANYTHING! :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

So, I have hit a plateau for awhile now. Last night I spoke with a friend that says she uses Isagenix, which to be honest, I am NOT interested in. It seems really expensive, and I don't like that they have "consultants". Something about that always makes me think PYRAMID SCHEME! Anyways-- She said that she does the following:

Day A= Shake for breakfast, protein shake (after workout), lunch (something lean and light), snack (yogurt/string cheese and hard boiled egg or avocado and tuna) then a shake for dinner.

Then she does an hour of cardio 6x a week for one hour and weights 30-45 6x a week.

Here's my question, do the shakes really make the difference in this situation? Or, what? And what is a cleanse? Should I be cleansing... lol? Also, as I am considering trying replacement shakes are there some that are healthier than others. I KNOW food is the best way to go. But, I find myself in a pickle at times and am wondering if this would help me get off the plateau and then I could return to clean eating.

The shakes are potentially replacing food that would likely be of higher total calorie intake which in some cases can put the user in a calorie deficit which results in weight loss.

You could replace the word "shake" with plain chicken breast or greek yogurt/etc and achieve the same effect. I'm generalizing here but hopefully you get the point.

Weight loss is fundamentally caused by a prolonged energy deficit.

If I were in your position I would disregard Isagenix, focus on making sustainable habit changes with respect to your diet and exercise, and track calories using MFP.
  • samanthannepstein
    samanthannepstein Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

The shakes are potentially replacing food that would likely be of higher total calorie intake which in some cases can put the user in a calorie deficit which results in weight loss.

You could replace the word "shake" with plain chicken breast or greek yogurt/etc and achieve the same effect. I'm generalizing here but hopefully you get the point.

If I were in your position I would disregard Isagenix, focus on making sustainable habit changes with respect to your diet and exercise, and track calories using MFP.

Thank you! Also, here's another one I just thought about-- is protein important after a workout? I don't do that. Lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Thank you! Also, here's another one I just thought about-- is protein important after a workout? I don't do that. Lol

The overall importance of post workout protein is dependent on a number of factors. Very generally speaking, consuming adequate protein for the day in total will be of significantly greater importance than when you time the protein doses relative the training bout. Additionally, training in a fasted condition may increase the importance of post workout protein.

I would be confident with this general recommendation: If you're eating a mixed meal within a couple of hours of your training (so for example you eat a meal, you train a couple hours later, maybe you eat again in a couple hours after your training) I really don't think you'll see much of any benefit in slugging that post workout shake.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

The overall importance of post workout protein is dependent on a number of factors. Very generally speaking, consuming adequate protein for the day in total will be of significantly greater importance than when you time the protein doses relative the training bout. Additionally, training in a fasted condition may increase the importance of post workout protein.

I would be confident with this general recommendation: If you're eating a mixed meal within a couple of hours of your training (so for example you eat a meal, you train a couple hours later, maybe you eat again in a couple hours after your training) I really don't think you'll see much of any benefit in slugging that post workout shake.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    Spot on, again.
  • samanthannepstein
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Quick info: a plateau in weight loss is a period of time of 6 weeks or more with no weight movement WHILE consistent with intake and whatever activity you do.
    Anything less is considered a stall. Stalls are usual and consistency will eventually break them.

First thing you have to consider is "are you being honest with yourself?" Are you being consistent? Have you cheated more than usual? Has your effort in exercise been lackluster?

There are many reasons why people stall and plateau and many times it's just a small adjustment that needs to be addressed. Reassess yourself with honesty and many times you'll figure out why progress has ceded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • samanthannepstein
    Options
    Quick info: a plateau in weight loss is a period of time of 6 weeks or more with no weight movement WHILE consistent with intake and whatever activity you do.
    Anything less is considered a stall. Stalls are usual a
    nd consistency will eventually break them.

First thing you have to consider is "are you being honest with yourself?" Are you being consistent? Have you cheated more than usual? Has your effort in exercise been lackluster?

There are many reasons why people stall and plateau and many times it's just a small adjustment that needs to be addressed. Reassess yourself with honesty and many times you'll figure out why progress has ceded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good points! Thank you. I will do some self reflection!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'd be in jail for murder eating that few calories of actual food.