Walking or Running: What is better?

Options

Replies

• NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Why not start running a little? As long as you're currently in pain go for it! (Back to walking if any pain comes back)

You don't have to run far or fast. I started just shuffling along and working up to where I can do a 10k.

And you don't just have to run on the concrete. Why not find a nice trail where the ground is a bit more giving, or a park with a field you can run around?

As long as you're not in pain give-r!
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Keep walking but running is better
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know what it's like to be at 320 lbs. i was at 342 and would not have dreamed of running at that weight. It's too heavy to be running in my opinion. I think you can do more damage to your body in the very short term that has long term implications. You certainly don't want to blow out an MCL or screw your joints up because you're in a hurry to lose the weight.

With that said, I would push the pace, as you get lighter and lighter. I think I started jogging at 275ish, but really I only got up to about a mile at a time. It wasn't until i got into the 230s that i started jogging 2-3 miles at a time (which for me, even at 213lbs currently, is all I wanna run lol. Now I focus on speed rather than distance, because I don't like running for longer than 20-30 minutes (I just am not built to run nor do I have the desire). I'd rather deadlift a car. lol

I would suggest to walk at your current level, focus 100% on your diet (this is where the magic happens anyway). You can lose weight dieting and doing nothing, but you can't lose weight doing a lot of work without changing your dieting lifestyle.

You'll get there, just don't be in a hurry. It's not a linear progression. Take your time, settle for any amount of progress from week to week. It comes off. Good luck!
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics are a great deal of fun. And once you get out of the water you realize how much work you did.
  • totfit
    totfit Posts: 4
    Options
    Maybe you could just start logging distance regardless of whether it is walking or running. "If" you feel like it jog a bit on the walks, if you do no, then don't. Approach this as a lifetime program. There is no hurry to advance, but instead you want to remain healthy so that you can continue to do this very important activity. As you shed pounds and continue with the program you may run a bit more as it becomes comfortable. Once you get a good base level of fitness you could push yourself a bit. It is when I am pushing myself just a bit that I get the best physical and emotional benefits. I always keep in my mind however that this is a lifetime activity that is important to me. Staying healthy is as such my #1 priority. If I am fatigued, I rest. If I have a bit of a pull or something I do something else physical. Just remember there is not hurry to get anywhere. This is a lifetime activity that you want to be able to enjoy and from which to reap benefits.
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As others have said: running at your weight is bad news for all the weight bearing joints. So stick to walking.

You can intensify the walking if you take up Nordic Walking. The use of poles makes you walk faster and also adds a mild upper body work out.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    How about starting off with walking and build up to power walking?

I am enjoying power walking and it seems to be helping with fat loss, too. Not to mention it is fun & I feel great doing it and after, too.

I want to avoid running to spare my joints since they already have issues.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I know a couple people who have gone to Fleet Feet to participate in their programs. One is for walkers and the other is for runners. They have coaches and fitness and nutrition advice. If you don't have a Fleet Feet, Just check around to see if there's a group that operates this kind of program.

If you're worried about injuries, walk on softer surfaces like a high school's track (as boring and mundane as they are, they do help when one has injuries or wishes to avoid one after returning from an injury).
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Walk.

Swim since it is summer.

Lift weights.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i take it you meant to say "As long as you're NOT currently in pain"?
    Why not start running a little? As long as you're currently in pain go for it! (Back to walking if any pain comes back)
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i take it you meant to say "As long as you're NOT currently in pain"?

yup. that's what I meant :) whoops
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. If you want meaningful improvement in cardiovascular fitness - start running. If you want to burn 2x the calories per mile and about 4x calories per minute - start running.

If you're mostly comfortable where you are and aren't worried about being too sedentary - keep walking. If there are concerns over joint pain etc, maybe walking is the right answer.

Good luck!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    My doctor has told me you burn as many calories running a mile as you do walking it at a mile, just generally people that run get more milage done because they are faster. With just starting I'd stick to walking and using an ellipitcal, which mimics running. Actually the ellipitcal is my favorite thing to use, but mix it up between your walks! Then talk to your doctor once you get a routine down about a couch to 5K program if that's what you want to do. Extra weight is harder on your body to run because it puts more pressure on your joints, but it's not impossible. Whatever you choose, you should talk to your doctor first.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate still goes up while walking, stick to walking. At one point it will no longer take your heart rate to the level you desire and you will need to either increase walking speed or walk on more challenging hills. By the time you reach a point where walking doesn't do it anymore, you will have lost enough weight to start jogging. I started at around the same weight as you, and my max speed on a 0 degree road was 2.6 mph. 80 pounds lighter I can now walk 4.1 mph. On hills my speed suffers, so I still have quite a bit to go before I need a more challenging cardio, though running is out of the question because of a bad knee. Good luck.

If weight loss is your main goal, then focus on your diet. That's the defining factor in weight loss. Walking and running are done for cardiovascular fitness and to make dieting easier since you can add more calories to your day.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Walking is just fine, not everyone is a runner. Just increase your distance and walk faster when you're ready.
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    There actually is a walking app out there!

If you've heard of the game Zombies Run! and Zombies Run! 5k training (the same sort of thing as C25K), they've got a similar app called 'The Walk' which you can buy for about a dollar from the app store or google play. You just pop in your headphones and complete a walk for that day, whilst following along to a gripping story line.

I personally haven't done the walking one, but I'm about to do the 5k run from the training game and I absolutely love it, and I'm sure the walking one is just as good. Have fun with it!
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    Calorie burn is completely based on heart rate. What you do to get that heart rate up doesn't matter to the calories burned. the difference is is muscle gain. Since you use different muscles for different activities, they will grow at different rates. Ever notice how swimmers have such broad shoulders? Cyclists have skinny arms?

I will burn the same amount walking at a 15% incline at 3 mph as someone running 5 mph on level terrain, assuming we are of the same weight (the fat guy will burn calories at the same rate as the athlete, because gravity still pulls down at the same rate). The only difference is, the runner is giving their joints more shock because they are lifting their body into the air and landing. Gravity is pulling him down. If I am just walking, I am barely lifting my body, and I don't feel it as much in my joints. If I am walking up hill, this is more the case. But I can get my heart rate up to 90% max (180 bpm) just by walking up hill.

Good luck!
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like walking
    15-30 min a day
    and 1 hr on sundays

it is something I can stick with!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You burn just as much walking 3 miles as you do running it. It just takes you longer to get that burn because you are walking. I run 3 miles in 29 minutes and walk 3 miles in 60 minutes and my calorie burner comes out with the same number. So in essence you are burning calories faster when you run. I would suggest you starting out walking. It's much easier on your joints. No worries...enjoy and smell the roses while you're at it! :)

Best of luck!

Nope - not true. - here is an extract from Research (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22446673)
    Abstract
    Increased energy expenditure (EE) is a key component in maintaining a healthy body mass. Walking and running are 2 common aerobic activities that increase EE above resting values. The purpose of this study was to compare the EE of individuals with average fitness during a walk and run for 1600 meters at 86 m·min(-1) and 160 m·min(-1), respectively. In addition, EE after the walk and run was compared. Fifteen females and 15 males (21.90 ± 2.52 y; 168.89 ± 11.20 cm; 71.01 ± 17.30 kg; 41.51 ± 6.31 ml(-1)·kg(-1)·min(-1)) volunteered to participate. Each participant completed a VO2max test. In addition, oxygen consumption was measured at rest for 10 minutes before exercise, during the walk and run, and after the walk and run for 30 minutes of recovery. EE during exercise was 372.54 ± 78.16 kilojoules for the walk and 471.03 ± 100.67 kilojoules for the run. Total EE including excess postexercise EE was 463.34 ± 80.38 kilojoules and 664.00 ± 149.66 kilojoules for the walk and run, respectively. Postexercise EE returned to resting values 10 minutes after the walk and 15 minutes after the run. Walking and running are both acceptable activities that increase EE above rest and can be performed without the expense of a health club membership and meet adequate kilojoule expenditure according to American College of Sports Medicine guidelines.
    PMID: 22446673 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Walking definitely. The heavier you are the more calories you burn walking. Right now running is a really good way to injure yourself or failing that to burn out. A lot of people who have never been unfit will encourage you to run. For someone light this is good advice. If you are light, fit and healthy then just walking won't really burn much. But for someone heavier that isn't really very fit walking is about the best thing you can do ... really.

Of course weight also increases the calories you burn running. But fat is dead weight and your body has to literally drag it around. It's not like muscle that supports itself.