what to do when you dont like healthy foods?

Options
Hi everyone, im in a bit of a pickle as you say,
obviously the key to loosing weight is to eat healthier but what if you cant stand to eat the healthy foods,
my fruit and veggie foods are just pea's and carrots, i can eat apples at a push but not alot.
is there any other really fussy eaters on here trying to loose some weight and do you have any tricks up your sleeve that can help another fussy eater??

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You can do what I do with my children. When I make spaghetti, I make a nice homemade sauce, but I blend in veggies with it. I will blend in broccoli, carrots, onions, green peppers and mushrooms. They have no clue and think it is the best spaghetti they have ever had.
    You can also add stuff like spinach and zucchini into casseroles. I do that a lot too!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat them anyway.

Here are some tricks.
    Use a food processor to grind up veggies to add to pasta and pizza sauces.
    Use baked or boiled squash (acorn, butternut, or even pumpkin, all mashed) to add to mac and cheese, has a creamy texture and the cheese flavor outweighs the squash.
    Add pureed veggies to soups and frozen entrees.
  • momwifenurse021406
    momwifenurse021406 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.. I hate most types of fruits and veggies. Gag if they even come near my mouth. I can eat a banana or some potatos or mushrooms from time to time but anything green, I can't force myself to eat.. I looked it up apparently there are quite a few out there. I thank god I am not as bad as some ppl are. One lady could only eat a handful of things like chicken fingers :( Anyway there are a few things I can suggest.. One is just try to eat the healthy stuff you can as much as possible. Two is have you tried any of the V8 products. You dont taste the vegtables and the juice is manageable to drink. It may not be your favorite but it provides 1 fruit and 1 veggie per 8 oz. There is a new product out by them its fruit juice and green tea that I find that I can actually swallow and its pretty good. I got the Rasberry flavor but there is alot of varitey. The third thing I can suggest is to pick up a cook book called Deceptively Delicious or any number of the cook books avaliable for picky eaters. That way you can bury the fruit and veggie taste in something that you enjoy eating... I know its very hard and I am in the same boat.. Good Luck!!!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    hi there, i think that you also have to train your palate to like things, you want to eat healthy, so do so! and ask yourself why you dont like what is good for you............. there will always be the odd thing, the odd texture that wont suit all but go to it and get on the healthy gravy train!!!!!!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other suggestions, and the suggestion to eat them anyway is what I was thinking because eventually your taste will change and you may actually learn to like the healthy stuff.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have found if I chop something into smaller pieces I can get it down easier. I don't like most veggies whether it's flavor or texture or whatever reason. That's what I like about making salads. I can put veggies like cucumber, green peppers, cauliflower, etc in it. I don't really like any of these but I can tolerate them in a salad with a yummy dressing. I like california french and raspberry vinaigrette - lite or low fat of course. I find putting a little sweet in there helps a lot (like a few raisins)

I have sort of learned to like some veggies. You can acquire a taste for them.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I suppose if you JUST CAN'T force yourself to eat healthy foods...

Reduce intake of the bad foods...
    Exercise a lot more...
    Drink a lot of extra water
    Take vitamins and other supplements to get the things your body needs (that you are depriving it of).
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I see that you are a mother from you picture. When my children were little I didn't force them to eat things they didn't like. I did, however, ask them to take at least one bite of everything I made including the healthy veggies. Over time they acquired a taste for them and love all veggies. Maybe you can start off like that. Take one bite each time you get an opportunity and over time I think your brain will retrain itself.

Don't look at the veggies like they are the devil in disguise but think about what they can do for you and your family in the long run.

My son's GF is from Puerto Rico. They don't eat many green veggies there (mainly because they are so expensive). Her family was here over Christmas so he spent a lot of time with them. He was home one day and told me I am so craving vegetables.

I do hope over time you will learn to like them.

Mama Cindy
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I also "cheat" by drinking V8 Fusion Lite.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I don't like any fruit or veg. Loosing is possible, its just a case of cutting out some of the junk and replacing it with healthier stuff like yogurts and porridge (I'm a new devotee to this, quaker oats so simpke makes a great lunch, even when I'm at work)
  • CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    Hi there, I used to be exactly the same. But recently I've forced myself to 'hide' vegetables like mushrooms in bolognaise sauce and things like that.

If you like bolognaise sauce, you could replace that with passata and season it yourself. I think passata counts as one of your five a day as it is just sieved tomatoes and you don't have all those added yet hidden calories. And it's way cheaper than jars of sauce, I think it's about 50p for a carton.

Also, opt for low fat yoghurt and have soup - I think this is going to be my secret weapon. My favourite at the moment is carrot and coriander and it is only 135 calories for 300g, half the carton (the Tesco one, not sure if you are from UK) but it fills me up. There should be a variety of lots of different flavours, chicken, ham and pea, etc

Also, try to drink a glass of water before every meal to fill you up where the vegetables would have. I'm not the biggest fan of plain water, so low-calorie squash is good. I have a cup of tea with milk, or herbal tea instead especially as it is winter!

Hope this helps. I guess you should keep eating the vegetables you do like.

Good luck :-)
  • jmelhouck
    Options
    I hate the taste and/or texture of most veggies and fruits. However, I am slowly training myself. Just yesterday I grabbed a raw carrot and did my best to make it my b.... I got half way and the carrot won, but I tried. Knowing what to expect, I try again another day. I've already "re-trained" my pallet to take on oranges, peaches and plums. I'm working my way on some veggies now. Some beans don't settle well with me either, but I'm determined to have control over my body and not let it tell me what I can and cannot have. Besides, it likes fat cheeseburgers way too much. :D
  • Chelsey8D
    Options
    have you tried cooking them differently?

For instance, a tbsp of parmesan cheese is very low calorie, put it on steamed broccoli with a pinch of salt. If you're not huge on fruit, maybe try a juicer? I just got one for christmas, and there's nothing better than fresh orange or apple juice.

If you truly hate it that much, maybe go with the suggestion above and trick yourself with V8.