Ounces to grams question

Options
I know that when measuring food items, grams is the best way to go, however before I knew anything about cico I used ounces, so nearly all of the entries in my personal history are in ounces, tablespoons, cups, etc. I use a kitchen scale and if the label says a food item serving size is 2 tablespoons or 32 grams, I weigh it using the grams function on my scale and have my diary reflect two tablespoons. I know it's a little tedious, but it is what it is. However, I notice I rarely hit my protein macro, and I'm trying to get better about balancing them, even though I have been losing weight. Now here is my question. Iifym tells you to minimally eat .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight. For me that would be 200 grams a day, which in ounces that would mean 7.05479 ounces. I regularly eat more ounces of protein than that a day, but rarely meet my protein at the end of the day. 7 ounces of protein is what I eat for lunch and dinner, typically. Is this just an issue with conversion or am I doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pwrdbytrd
    pwrdbytrd Posts: 6
    Options
    4oz of chicken (112g) has approximately 23g of protein.

Over 2lb of chicken would be required to intake 200g of protein.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For me that would be 200 grams a day...

First, that's a huge protein intake. People with a lot of weight to lose should be calculating their intake using lean body mass, not total weight.

Second, it doesn't matter if you're measuring in ounces or grams, so long as the conversion is right (28 grams -> 1 ounce, google will do it for you). Keep in mind that 4oz of beef doesn't have 4oz of protein.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

First, that's a huge protein intake. People with a lot of weight to lose should be calculating their intake using lean body mass, not total weight.

Second, it doesn't matter if you're measuring in ounces or grams, so long as the conversion is right (28 grams -> 1 ounce, google will do it for you). Keep in mind that 4oz of beef doesn't have 4oz of protein.
    [/quote]

This
  • tatecass
    tatecass Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That us where my confusion was coming from. For whatever reason I was not thinking of how many grams of protein was in the food, only the weight of the food. (Blonde moment!!) However, how would I know how many pounds of lean mass I have? I use a scale with body fat percentage, but I know they are ridiculously unreliable!
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You can do the math but there is no perfect way to get body fat percentage. Go with the scale for now.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I regularly eat more ounces of protein than that a day, but rarely meet my protein at the end of the day. 7 ounces of protein is what I eat for lunch and dinner, typically. Is this just an issue with conversion or am I doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Protein is a constituent of meat, not the only thing in it.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    For me that would be 200 grams a day...

^ All of this...