Lost weight...and my period

Options
Okay guys, this might be a little personal but I need some advice...
I went to college in the Fall of 2013 and gained the freshman 15.. I was up to 180ish lbs. I decided to take control of my health and the way I look by deciding to lose weight. I started using the myfitnesspal app and I started eating their suggestion of 1300 calories a day. I am a 19 year old girl who is 6 ft tall. I started this in February and was extremely strict with what I ate and was exercising 3 times a week. The weight fell off and I was looking better. I had one heavy period around March and I haven't had it since. I am currently around 144-146 lbs and eating 1800 calories a day and my period hasn't came back yet. I have continued to take my birth control pills just to be safe but I am worried about my period. I've read that this has happened to other people but I'm not entirely sure what to do.. any bits of advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• A_shlynn
    A_shlynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to be getting enough fats for periods to happen normally, so if you're doing low fat, don't. It also could be stress, so try to avoid that. Other than that, your body may just not like being that small (at six feet you should probably weigh a bit more I'd say) so try eating a bit more (maybe 1850 or so) and see what weight you maintain on that and how your body reacts
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat more dietary fat, it's responsible for hormone production
  • arf24_1
    arf24_1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are on BCP, could be a side effect of the drug. I would check the info packet and talk with your doctor first and foremost.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As they've said, maybe you just need an adjustment in macros, but it never hurts to see your doctor, just to make sure something else isn't going on too.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Glanced at your diary.... your goal is 1800 but you usually fall short of your goal by a few hundred calories. Try to actually eat 1800 every day and see if that helps. It could also be an effect of BC depending on what kind you take. And of course, you've probably considered this, but is there any way you could be pregnant?

1300 cals a day is too little at 6 feet tall, so I wouldn't be surprised if that just threw your body off and it's taking some time to adjust back to normal. If nothing changes though I would see a doctor to be safe.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Is there a possibility that you could be pregnant?

Other than that, I've known one person in my entire life who didn't get her period anymore and it was because she became a raw vegan. She only eats fruit and veg, nothing else.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things. Firstly birth control has A LOT of side effects that can come on at any point. I unfortunately found this out the hard way when the depo shot nearly killed me. Of course, I am going to suggest you take a home pregnancy test because 3% of people still get pregnant on the pill. That would be the first thing I would do if I were you.
    Secondly, maybe increase your fats a bit if you're doing ultra low fat, as other posters have said fat can help regulate your menses. I calculated your BMI at 19.5 so I don't think you're underweight or atrisk of that.
    Stress also has an amazing ability to make aunt flow disappear so try to relax and if in 1-2 months your period still doesn't return I would really consider going to a doctor, if not sooner if you can afford it, but a lot of doctors will throw it down to stress unless something is wrong with you so be prepared for that frustrating conversation.

I with you the best and way to go on the weight loss!
  • hrhboo
    hrhboo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You may need to talk to your doctor about adjusting the dosage of the hormones in your birth control pill. BC pills impact your body differently after losing/gaining a significant amount of weight. My regular pill that I had been on for years was too high of a dosage for me after I dropped a lot of weight.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yep, happened it me 2 years ago. I am 5'3 and went from 134 to 125. I lost my period for 6 months. You need to eat more. After I put back on about 7 lbs it came back! I'm older than you (37) and done having kids.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when a girl is on birth control for a while her period will change or she will sometimes miss a period.

http://www.pregnancycorner.com/pregnant/pregnancy-symptoms/missed-period-on-birth-control.html
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    See a medical doctor!
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OH PA-LEASE with all the "eat more fat" crapola. She needs to SEE HER DOCTOR. We shouldn't be handing out medical advice. OP, see your doctor, because this could be caused by a myriad of things, and no one here can speculate with any kind of accuracy.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You lost it most likely because you are eating at a calorie deficit therefore you are not eating enough to fuel your body so your body is going to stop any unnecessary "calorie expensive" processes that are not vital to life, such as reproductive processes. I have lost my period at different weights/body compositions and diets, the only thing that has caused me to lose my period was eating at a calorie deficit. So you just need to eat more to make sure you're properly fueling your body and your period will come back eventually.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor.There could be a medical cause.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is a somewhat common thing to happen with weight loss. I had a 60+ day cycle after losing 25 lbs. and my OB/GYN said he would have been more surprised if my period had not been affected by the loss. And yes, I was getting plenty of fat and calories. Still, you should see a doctor just to be checked out.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. It happened my first year of college when I lost weight too quickly. Period came back after going to a nutritionist and she upped my calories.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OH PA-LEASE with all the "eat more fat" crapola. She needs to SEE HER DOCTOR. We shouldn't be handing out medical advice. OP, see your doctor, because this could be caused by a myriad of things, and no one here can speculate with any kind of accuracy.

Agree with the above post. Truly, when you are on birth control, you do not have a "true" period, due to how the birth control works. I am not going into details here, as you should ask your doctor about this.
  • dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    I am in a similar situation I started working out like crazy and truly lowering my calories and I just missed my last one. But I am not thin I've just been stressing my body and if I miss the next one I'm going to be super concerned. You however seem to be at a low weight so this could be part of why you aren't getting it, being so tall and all (jealous!)

When you don't get it, your body is out of whack and it affects your bone density and overall health. Your bones will suffer if you continue like this, so you need to see your doctor. If you can't get in to the doc for a while, eat more in the meantime and don't push yourself in the ways of stress and exercise.. At your height you could probably get away with eating a lot more than 1800 and still not gain even still lose.

Be careful, and dont let this go on. every missed period is hurting your bones :(
  • courtneyyyx21
    Options
    Hey everyone thanks for the feedback (even the rude comments) I have talked to my gyno and he said that he would be surprised if my period wasn't affected and that its normal. Also, he said that my BC is stronger now that I weigh less so he is adjusting my prescription accordingly!