When should I buy new clothes?

Options
I'm currently 220 lbs. According to my sister, who is a fitspo expert, I should shop for new clothes after losing about 15 pounds. I'm currently a 14/16. Is my sis telling the truith? What is your advice?

Replies

• PixieDustTwinkleToes
    PixieDustTwinkleToes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 20lbs and I haven't had to buy any new clothes yet. Wish I did, but nope, everything still fits just fine. Le sigh.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body shape and how/where you lose. I wore a (tight) 16 when I was 214 pounds, and I wasn't able to get into a 14 until I was in the 180s, and just recently got into a 10 at 145 pounds. I have an hourglass shape, which means I have super wide hips, so it's hard for me to fit things over them.

I say shop for new clothes when your shirts look like you're wearing shapeless sacks and your pants start sliding down over your butt. It's more about how you feel in the clothes than any particular one-size-fits-all weightloss guideline.
  • futurethin2014
    Options
    Sorry to hear that ... I guess that all our bodies work differently ... at 230, I wore a 16/18 ... Just keep on changing your lifestyle ... even if you can't fit into a tiny size, you will improve your health -- the most important thing.
  • futurethin2014
    Options
    Good advice!
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is the most important thing! I can feel my hip bones where I am, so I know I probably could never get below a size 6 or so in jeans just because of how wide they are. I'm not too worried about it; I like my shape, just not the extra fat that's on it. ;) You keep working and don't get discouraged if your clothing sizes don't change as rapidly as you want them to! People will still be able to see all your hard work, and you'll know that you're healthier!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    New clothes? I'm just waiting to drop enough to start rocking my boxed up parachute pants from the 80's. Gonna bring em back!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds, and I need a new swimsuit bottom, but that's about it. I actually think I could get all the way down to my goal weight (another 10 or 15 pounds) and my shirts at least would still look good. I might need new pants by then.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck in a rubbish place at the moment. I've lost 34lbs and my old XXL clothes are way too baggy but not all XL things fit me. Also I was wearing 44inch trousers but now I can easily get in 38inch jeans, but the 38 inch work trousers barely fit me. Might be because I'm only buying cheap suits while I'm losing that the measurements aren't accurate but it's a pain.
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm just now getting to where I could wear smaller clothes. The only thing that's way too big, is my scrubs.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did my first shop after 34lbs lost, but then shopped again at around 44lbs down. I think it is a great thing to do to boost your confidence - don't wait until you reach your goal to enjoy your body :smile:
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    20 pounds down and some of my clothes still fit the same, and some need to be taken in a little (mostly pants where I added a safety pin on the inside for now).. I think it all depends on your body shape (already mentioned) and style of clothes. One manufacturer's 16 is another's 14 depending on where it was made. So I say always go shop for something new.... buy something pretty and forget about the size tag. Buy something that makes you feel nice and gorgeous and this will keep you motivated! On Thursday I fit into one of my favorite dresses that hadn't fit in over a year (and didn't fit last month) so that was a great boost,!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    It depends on several things $$$, season changes, and desire to go. For instance I'm a teacher so I'm off for the summer I have 2 capris and they are loose, and some T-shirts, along with a plethora of workout type clothes. I'm not buying any until. Get to a size 10 or fall if I need so e items. I'm a loose 14 tight 12 right now. I don't need nicer clothes so I'm going to see where I'm at this fall. I had to catch myself a few times bc I wanted to get it but then thought it will be too big next summer so I'll wait.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    For me, I lost 20 pounds the first month of the 46 I lost in Total. All my pants and skirts looked ridiculous. I think I started buying when I lost two sizes, from a 14 to a 10. But shocker - my final goal weight changed and I dropped to a size 6/8.

I saw this thing on Facebook -if you are a size 10 to 20 you can rent clothes for a month. I thought it would be pretty cool for people who are losing weight . I think it was called Gwenith Bee or something like that.
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    anytime
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I did buy some new shirts and undergarments, but I'm still wearing the same jeans, I just buy new belts. Thankfully work doesn't care. I'll have to buy some outfits that fit before the end of September, but that's because I'm going to a work conference, and baggy britches do not create the impression I need to leave behind. (Thankfully I did have one pair of jeans left that were a smaller size, so I actually have 1 pair that is only a little loose, 4 pairs that are slide down without unfastening loose, and 1 pair that is fall down if I stand up without wearing a belt loose.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've stayed the same clothing size this entire time. Yes, they got tight when I was at my highest weight, but no new clothes for me.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd shop for new clothes when the ones you have start to get loose. How many pounds that will take no one can say. It really doesn't matter. You'll know by the fit of your clothes that it is time.

I've lost over 100 pounds and I've been replacing clothes for a long time! Thank goodness for clearance sales & thrift stores!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 20lbs and I haven't had to buy any new clothes yet. Wish I did, but nope, everything still fits just fine. Le sigh.

Just hang in there & keep working hard. Remind yourself how good you are doing. It will happen one day when you least expect it!

It seemed like it would take forever for me to need a smaller size! Of course, the size I was wearing was at least one sze too small when I started! lol... but I finally shrunk out of them and many more sizes, too!
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    Ahh, I remember this conundrum for me. I was down around 30lbs or so and needed new clothes, but I still had more weight to lose. I didn't want to spend a boat load of money only to have to spend more again later because I was the incredible shrinking man. I bucked-up and bought a few things, but didn't go crazy with buying a whole new wardrobe.

I recommend buying when you feel necessary, but utilizing thrift shops if you still have a lot more weight to go. Good luck!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I bought a new swimsuit when my old one was loose enough that I flashed my water aerobics instructor when one boob bounced out of the old suit.

Beyond that, get new clothes when you feel uncomfortable in your current ones. You may find that you go down a blouse size but your pants are still OK, or the other way around. I also bought pants that had elastic and drawstrings so I could keep them up through two sizes so I didn't spend as much money.