7 year old almost vegatarian

Options
shel0158
shel0158 Posts: 31 Member
My 7 year old stopped eating almost all meat. This last year in school they started teaching them about organs. I dont remember what they call it, but each organ is outlined and then tells what veggie and fruit help that organ. They did not teach about meat at all that I know of. At least none of the paperwork she brought home said anything about meat. All I know is she stopped eating meat. Chicken is the only meat she will still eat. She cannot live on only chicken as her source of protein. I keep nuts in the house and she eats them good but they are high in calorie for her to eat enough to meet her protein requirements. Any ideas on how to get her to eat meat again, or other options to get her her protein in a healthy way. When I fix supper and I fix any other meat she tells me repeatedly she dont like meat. We are a meat eating family. Usually pork but sometimes we do have beef. The whole School teachings is what did this I think because she liked meat before this last school year. Has anyone else had this problem too???

She is already anemic, which runs in my family. I am and so is all of my children except for 1. My Mother and Brother are as well. I dont want her to have more problems then that. She does take a multivitamin with iron daily.

**She doest like peanut butter either so that dont help**

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't say for your daughter, but my children have gone through picky phases. I also am not a "big" red meat eater, but I do get a fair amount of iron from food alone (I average 80% RDA, the rest comes from my daily multi vitamin/mineral). Here's a helpful list of iron-rich foods. I'm sure your daughter eats at least a few of these foods every single day: http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods

Chicken does have a significant amount of iron; turkey has amounts equal to beef. If she likes chicken, perhaps she's open to turkey. Breakfast cereals, enriched wheat products (breads, pastas, etc.), and dark green veggies will likely fulfill her remaining amount.

Of course, if there's any concern, seeing as anemia is prevalent in your family, a lab test can be performed by her pediatrician to check she's at a healthy place.
  • shel0158
    Options
    Thank you for the site. I know about the iron. She has her blood tested for Iron levels 1 to 2 times a year depending on the results. With the iron vitamin she stays at the low end of normal. I am worried about the protein she is not getting from meat. She does get it from nuts but they are so high in calorie I would like a more healthy option for her. I dont want protein to cause another health problem. She does eat fruit and vegetables and I havent found any she doesnt like. BUT will she get enough protein from just that.
  • williams969
    Options
    Protein requirements for children under 13 are only around 19-34g/day (CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html). That shouldn't be too hard to reach. Just three or four ounces of chicken a day and she will hit her protein goal, plus a bonus for all other small protein sources throughout the day (eggs, dairy, beans, nuts, etc.).
  • shel0158
    Options
    Thank you again for the site. It tells me she does get enough protein in a day. She likes her milk and she loves cheeses and yogurt. With those combined along with veggies she does get her protein. Thank You Again.
    She is like me she likes to eat yogurt as her snack. And of course milk for breakfast. Just those 2 give her the 19 grams she requires.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    My daughter lived on mac and cheese and toast for like 6 months of her life...

So...I think she'll be okay. ;)
  • williams969
    Options
    Yes, I think she'll be A-OK. Great for you for having so much concern and researching for your daughter's health. Focus on what you and her are doing right. Um, a 7 year old who loves all her veggies and eats her yogurt? Yep, praise her for that, definitely! Good for you for promoting the best health you can, even if it means she's on a "chicken kick", she's making so many other great food choices to compensate for it.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah there's tons of kids out there with parents that raise them vegan so a girl that eats chicken and dairy is going to be just fine. Even all veggie is alright as long as she keeps an eye on protein and nutrients. Pretty sure humans haven't always had a cow handy to munch on and we've made it along okay so far.

And it is probably just a phase.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Actually she could live perfectly fine eating chicken as a protein source.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating most meat when I was around 2ish years old. My mom said one day I chewed on a piece of roast for a while, spit it out, and never touched it again. To this day I can't stand the texture of meat and only eat chicken maybe once a month and pepperoni every great once in a while. I'm a perfectly healthy 5'6" 27 year old woman, although I do think I took iron supplements as a kid. I even went through pregnancy without being anemic. My parents would make a normal meal growing up (meat, side, veggies). I'd eat the side and veggies only. Still tend to do that. I'm just saying that you shouldn't panic. She'll be fine :).

Push the beans if she'll eat those, but even if she won't, it'll be ok! She's perfectly fine with chicken and dairy :).
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    will she eat beans and pulses?- they are excellent sources of protein and much healthier than meat It's perfectly healthy to be vegetarian or even vegan.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hundreds of thousands of children are raised vegetarian. It's really no big deal as long as you're willing to accommodate her.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    She is 7 years old, you are the parent, she is not eating meat because of feelings towards animals but because of lesson taught by a teacher apparently which vegetables supported particular organs....is the teacher pushing their own ideals onto the class?

If you are concerned shouldn't you be talking to the teacher to find out exactly what was taught and make the teacher aware of the consequences. Following that you should be talking to your daughter to find out exactly what her feelings are, explain to her your own thoughts, and what you would like to happen from here on in.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi. It's great you're worried about your kid's health - but there's no need to worry. I've also been vegetarian since about that age, and I'm totally fine. She will NOT lack protein, as there's really protein in everything. If you're worried - add more pulses, whole grains and tofu to her diet. However you should know this has nothing to do with anemia, and if it goes in your family, you can see a doctor to take care of this problem. Also, leafy greens, pulses and nuts contain a lot of iron.
    I do not think making her eating meat again would work. Maybe it won't last - but maybe it will. I think it is a good idea to educate YOURSELF about vegetarian diets - I promise you you'll discover it's not a bad thing as you think it to be. And it will give you many great ideas.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I'm anemic and i don't eat meat. Since she is eating only chicken i think she will be fine, no need for worrying. There is pretty much protein in alot of things, you don't need meat for protein that is a myth.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    She is 7 years old, you are the parent, she is not eating meat because of feelings towards animals but because of lesson taught by a teacher apparently which vegetables supported particular organs....is the teacher pushing their own ideals onto the class?

If you are concerned shouldn't you be talking to the teacher to find out exactly what was taught and make the teacher aware of the consequences. Following that you should be talking to your daughter to find out exactly what her feelings are, explain to her your own thoughts, and what you would like to happen from here on in.
    I don't think teaching children that vegetables are good for them/their organs, is "pushing an ideal" it is simply a fact.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lighten up. She is seven. Big family food issues could set her up for a lifetime of eating disorders.
    Keep available for her and let her eat whenever she wants any of the following high iron foods:
    beans
    chicken
    pumpkin seeds
    dried apricots
    baked potatoes
    broccoli
    green peppers
    rice
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I don't think teaching children that vegetables are good for them/their organs, is "pushing an ideal" it is simply a fact.

It really depends how that fact is presented.