BMR - My fitness pal has me eating below it

Options
According to the BMR calculator on the site, mine is 1,361. When putting in my information, I said I wanted to lose a lb a week. MFP put my daily calorie intake at 1200. Why is the site telling me to eat less than my body needs to actually function and how the hell I am supposed to lose weight? I know in order to lose a pound a week I need a daily deficit of 500. But don't I also need to meet my BMR calories and not go under? How does someone like me (I'm a short female) do that and still lose a lb a week?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well to start off with 1lb a week with 15lbs to lose is too agressive...change it to 1/2lb a week.

And

Eating your BMR is not "deadly"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Change your calorie goal to Custom, and set it to at least 1361. It gave you that calorie goal based on the numbers you entered. I don't know your stats, but it seems that losing 1 pound per week is too much for you. Either set it to .5 pounds per week or use the custom settings and set your calorie goal yourself.
  • littlebug627
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I weigh 146 right now. I'm trying to get down to 130 lbs, which is a healthy weight for me.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    you need to exercise to increase the calorie deficit. when you do not have that high a weight loss requirement, if you put a fast weight loss goal with no or minimal exercise calorie burn, MFP will have to give you a small calorie intake. remember its just a calculator, not a nutrition and fitness adviser, so it will not take into account your body's essential needs. cardio will help you burn more calories in shorter time. but if you are looking for sculpting your body at the same time, do weight training as well.

i am 5'4 and started at 155 lb. i ate at 1200 to 1400 calorie (strictly) and did 2 hr cardio per day (1 hr in the morning and 1 hr in the night) at least 5 days a week and i lost 1 lb per week consistently.
  • littlebug627
    Options
    I've started training for a 5K, and I run 3 times a week for about 30 minutes (I'm on week 5 of the Couch to 5K program), and I've started adding in light weight training on my off days as well. At that point, should I be eating back my workout calories, or just some of them?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    suggestions is 50-75%...
  • littlebug627
    Options
    Thanks for all the links! I've got a lot of reading to do....
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This board in general has a VERY bad understanding of BMR and how it applies to weight loss.

Eating below your BMR will NOT be dangerous or deadly. BMR is how many calories your body uses at it's base. You know, to make you breathe, pump your heart, etc. Then TDEE includes your activity.

When you're losing weight, your goal is to eat less calories than your body uses.

If you eat below your BMR, that just means your body will pull the "stored calories" - AKA, from your fat.

It does NOT mean your body doesn't have enough calories to perform basic functions. It just means your body won't have enough calories from food ALONE to perform those functions.

Eating below BMR just means you'll lose weight a little faster than if you eat at or above BMR, because you're eating at a higher calorie deficit.

All this bull about "dangerous" and "deadly" means you're not understanding basic biology. Why is it dangerous to go below BMR for body functions but not for activity? The fact is, it isn't dangerous, not inherently. Eating below activity, if you think eating below BMR is dangerous, means *gasp* what if you faint??? or plonk while walking??? because you're eating below your activity!!! that must be dangerous!!!

Sorry for the sarcastic bit up there. I just want to emphasize that eating below BMR is NOT INHERENTLY DANGEROUS. It's only dangerous when you eat WELL below BMR for a long time and if you have very little body fat for your body to pull from.

(also, heads up - you do NOT have to eat all your calories from exercise.)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Practically anyone plugging in sedentary and 1 lb/week of loss will get a calorie target below BMR, it's what the numbers say.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    According to the BMR calculator on the site, mine is 1,361. When putting in my information, I said I wanted to lose a lb a week. MFP put my daily calorie intake at 1200. Why is the site telling me to eat less than my body needs to actually function and how the hell I am supposed to lose weight? I know in order to lose a pound a week I need a daily deficit of 500. But don't I also need to meet my BMR calories and not go under? How does someone like me (I'm a short female) do that and still lose a lb a week?

You are also supposed to count the exercise calories.

Eat 1600, burn 400... viola you are at 1200 calories for the day.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have been eating below my BMR for 4 months now. HOW AM I STILL ALIVE OMG
  • lenababy33
    lenababy33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With my fitness pal is it best for me to let my fitness pal to set my calorie goal or should i customized my own. when i allow my fitness pal to do the recommendation it says i should eat 1710 calories a day. I am actie a nursing assistant at a hospital i constantly walk and move around. I also told mfp i want to lose two pounds a week. So what is best for me?????
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    Lena....I would recommend trial and error. I think that is what most people do on here. MFP cannot be right 100% of the time, but their method is very simple. Calories in/Calories out. If you eat more than you use in any 24 hour cycle, you will gain weight (although, I should mention this is from one time to the same time the next day---your body will gain and lose a few pounds each day).

if you constantly move around, then go with a moderately active lifestyle. I am a tow truck driver, and that is where I have it. YOU have the option of where those calories come from to fit your lifestyle. Some like to go carb free, some like to eat more healthy fats (ketogenic). Myself, I like more carbs and fats throughout the day. I also track my micro-nutrients (Polo/mono/saturated fats, potassium/sodium, etc). It is fully customizable to what you want.

Two things I can recommend, if possible for you: eat small meals throughout the day, and find out if your body can handle dairy. Dairy works wonders for your digestion and metabolism. I drink 2-3 cups right before bed. It helps the body stay busy throughout the night. But the purpose of eating small and often is so that your metabolism doesn't slow down. It speeds it up, and allows you to burn more.

good luck!
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. That's how its creating a calorie deficit.