Cut back the calories and no luck! HELP!!!

Options
CW: 128lbs GW: 120lbs
Height: 5"5
Female

Hi,

I've been desperately trying to get down to 8 stone 6lbs for a long long time. Cutting back to 1200 calories on average a day and always ensuring I get at least 30 mins worth of exercise a day! But I am seeing no luck whatsoever.

Really getting tired of seeing no results on the scales and I've cut back on wheat, dairy and fizzy drinks. I don't know what else to do! Please can you help? I'm quickly losing motivation after a month of trying and I don't know where I'm going wrong

Thank you

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here is some great info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

P.S. You are not eating enough to support your exercises.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    How long has it been?
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/737101-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

And seriously it will take longer than a month if you're not trying to "crash diet".

Good luck.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You're pretty lean already, it can be very difficult to shed those last few vanity pounds. How certain are you about your calorie intake? Are you logging? Weighing your food with a food scale? How are you determining your calorie burns and do you eat back any exercise calories? You're going to need to be very precise (and patient) in order lose those eight pounds.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I've heard those last few pounds are always the hardest because they are vanity pounds. Physically your body feels there is no need to lose anymore weight and it resists. Stick with it and they will shed but it will take a while.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You have come to a great place for advice! There are lots of encouraging and experienced folks on the site. When you have so little to lose, it takes a little more patience. And precision. Accuracy will really save you headaches in the long run. Many will say weight loss is not linear, and my experience certainly agrees with that. I don't have much body fat to start with, and when it is time for me to drop 5lb, I may maintain a steady caloric deficit for 3-4 weeks before I see the scale move significantly, and then it's a big drop all in 1-2 days. All your hard work WILL pay off, it just might take a while to start moving.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest strength training instead of a minimal calorie diet and cardio. More muscle will increase your metabolism and, frankly, wouldn't you rather look fit and sexy than just skinny? You'll be able to eat more and maintain your figure, too. If you go this route, ditch the scale and grab the tape measure. Since muscle is more dense than fat, you may gain a few pounds while you shrink in size. And isn't your size what other people see? They sure as heck don't see the numbers on the scale.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Considering your height and current weight, you might want to focus on body composition instead of weight loss.
  • MissMotivated92
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support :)

I typically weigh myself once a week and keep a record of the general food I eat (not the calories) due to possible ibs symptoms that I need to clarify with the doctor. I exercise 3 times a week which is anything from walking briskly, running, cycling or going to the gym. I do eat treats but limit myself as it's almost impossible for me to go a day without chocolate!! It's my biggest weakness :(

I weighed myself this morning though and I have gained 3 lbs!!!! I did come on my period yesterday though, would that have anything to do with it? Really hope it is.....

Thanks
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support :)

I typically weigh myself once a week and keep a record of the general food I eat (not the calories) due to possible ibs symptoms that I need to clarify with the doctor. I exercise 3 times a week which is anything from walking briskly, running, cycling or going to the gym. I do eat treats but limit myself as it's almost impossible for me to go a day without chocolate!! It's my biggest weakness :(

I weighed myself this morning though and I have gained 3 lbs!!!! I did come on my period yesterday though, would that have anything to do with it? Really hope it is.....

Thanks

It's not uncommon for women to retain water weight during that time of the month. I don't experience it myself (though I do have to fight off the cravings) but I've heard reports of fluctuations of up to 5lbs.

So wait, you're keeping a record of food but not the calories? How do you figure you're eating 1200 calories if you're not recording them? You shouldn't have to cut anything from your diet unless there's a medical reason to do so, as long as it fits into your deficit you should still be losing weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging calories you may still be eating more of them than you think you are. I'd suggest starting to count them since you're using the site anyway. You don't need to shoot for any particular goal but just gather the information for now.