Kinect

xxquzme
xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Anybody use this as a way of exercise and have success with it?

Replies

• I have played Kinect Sports and estimated about 200 calories burned for 30 min. Also Kinect Adventures has that game where you have to jump and duck under and over obstacles, and also jump again to make you go faster. That is a good workout!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    even the games get your heart rate going & your body moving , love it!
  • TanMac
    TanMac Posts: 77
    Love Love Love the Kinect!

I have Kinect Adventure, Sports & Dance Central. I played quite a bit on Sunday and I'm still sore. Definetly a work out!!
  • We have had the Kinect since Christmas and I personally LOVE it!!! Not only does it help keep you moving, they have games that are directed just for working out... Such as, Your Shape Fitness Evolved..., I did this workout (or a section of it) last night and I felt amazing afterward, tired, but great!
    It is also great for my son during these winter months when we don't get outside to be active as much... He loves doing the games and it keeps him active when he would otherwise probably be sitting on the couch watching TV or a movie, or sitting at the table doing crafts... I wish u the best of luck with everything, and GOOD LUCK!
  • I have a buddy who plays the biggest loser game and has lost 5lbs in 2 weeks from the shear cardio.

When I had the Wii - I used ankle weights and wrist weights for some additional resistance.
  • I just bought one today! I can't wait to try it out :D
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    LOVE it. I need more games, but I'm trying to hold out for used games next month ...
  • feetypajamas
    feetypajamas Posts: 104 Member
    I've been messing with Dance Central, hoping to use it as a way to get some cardio. I don't think it'll do much good in the beginning, while you're learning the moves. I played for about an hour yesterday, but only got credit for about 1/2hr because of taking the time to "break it down" (learn the dance steps). When you use the Calories Burned feature, it only counts what you do in the "Perform It" mode. It DID get my heart rate up though. Just for sh*ts and giggles I put on one of the songs from the really hard end of the list, and it was pretty wild. Once you work your way up to that part, it looks like it'll be a good workout.

I'm looking into another workout 'game' on Kinect, but I can't think of the name of it right now. O.o

*edit* It's Your Shape Fitness Evolved. :D
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
    I think the Kinect is just awesome. My husband is a die hard playstation guy for major gaming and we do have the Wii for good family fun. Him and our oldest (8) wanted PS3 in worst way as our ps2 is on it's last leg. Well after reading gameinformer before Christmas he was like ok.. xbox it is. The games are great, the graphics awesome (even w/o an HD tv thank you) and best of all... it gets you up and moving when playing kinect games. Every day that system has seen someone in the house playing Adventures, Sports (Track and Field and the Volleyball are awesome), Dance Central which was my gift. Having kids ages 8 and 5 it's nice to see them up and and exercising and they don't realize it because they are having so much fun! Of course Halo Reach has also seen its fair share of play time.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    I have the biggest loser for the kinect and LOVE it!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I love the Kinect. I have Dance Central & Your Shape Fitness Evolved. Your shape tracks your calories burned. As you complete one level at a certain percentage it will unlock another level that allows you to burn more calories in one program. It doesn't stall until you get the move exactly like the trainer. It just tells you how to correct yourself.

Dance Central is a fun way to get your cardio in. Just trying to attempt some of those move will have you losing more calories. There is 3 levels to each song. Right now I've only done the easy...peaked at the medium because I've unlocked those...wow. I can't even imagine how the hard is.

I think its good for getting that couch potato moving and loosening up those muscles that have been inactive. You do start to sweat after about doing the third one and as your progress down the list the sweat starts to pour a little more but you are jammin so it doesn't even matter. :)
  • Duplicate post
  • I love my Kinect and I purchased Your Shaped Evolved to conduct an experiment to see if it would be viable solution to my gym membership. I loved it! It was better than any personal trainer I've ever had. There are three types of activities that you can do, fitness training, gym classes and gym games. I especially enjoy the Zen gym classes... I thought the Zen classes were going to be easy but that misconception quickly went out the window along with my gym membership lol.

I thought it couldn't get any better but then I purchased Dance Central -- At this point I am having so much fun I feel weird calling it exercise. It has a workout mode that allows you to enter your weight and then it tracks your calories burned.
    There are so many songs to chose from from Pop, Funk, R&B, Reggae to Hip-hop. Plus Harmonix (the developer) adds 4-6 new song every month. For those who say, "I can't dance", don't worry, there is a module called breakdown and it breaks apart all the moves, plus you can slow down a move and repeat it until you get it.

Every time I play Dance Central I try to keep beat my high score for each song and I finally scored 1 million on one of the songs. I play Dance Central 4-6 times a week and I average about 45-60 minutes a day which is typically 400-500 calories burned. Now that I have incorporated in a zig-zag diet plan, the fat is melting away. With the Kinect alone I was losing a pound a week but now that I have combined the Kinect with the ZZ diet, I am losing 1.5-2.5 pounds a day and I feel awesome.

Now the only thing I need is a heart monitor so I can keep track of my heart rate and calories burned. Dance Central doesn't track the calories during breakdown mode and sometime I can spend 2-5 minutes trying to get one move right lol.

Lastly I did some research on the Kinect games that will be released this year and now I am confident I will never get bored with the Kinect. I am looking forward to purchasing the Michael Jackson Experience and Dance on Broadway where you can sing, dance and act in the very best of Broadway musicals, from classics to the most modern tunes. Plus there are other fitness games that I have yet to try but I will use Gamefly to test them out.

I know everyone's journey is different but for me, getting the Kinect was the best purchased I made in long time because I know it is going to change my life.

Happy New years and good luck with your fitness endeavors!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I love it too! I have your shape, but I still wear my HRM, I wouldn't trust the calorie tracker on kinect...it said that I burned 66 calories and my HRM said I burned 200 - some odd calories, so I'm going with my HRM lol...I want to get Dance central, I tried the demo and it's rather fun...my fiance was quite impressed that I had rhythm lol. Definitely a step up from Wii
This discussion has been closed.