Cycling advice needed please

Options
Hi can some one help. I am a runner but have just started getting out on my bike to cross train. This morning I rode 21.5 miles in 1 hour 37 mins. I did not feel as though my heart rate was elevated and there was no sweat!!!! I do not know if this was a nelow average speed or not.

Just looking for some kind of average ness!! This is not for any other reason than to
Push myself into a new activity;))

Thanks

Replies

• algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    at 14 miles per hour its not bad to begin with.is it a flat run or did you do some hills,are you on a road bike or a mountain bike these questions are relevant to give you a more definative answer,but you seem to be comfortable at this rate treat it the same as your running push a little bit harder next time to push yourself to a better workout.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    my two cents...i agree with above post, it depends on terrain and type of bike, but i rarely sweat on my rides as well. partly b/c the wind helps keep me cool as i ride. just something minor to think about. welcome to cycling. be careful.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    So this was your first time cross training on your bike? If you were a cyclist, and you cross trained for the first time by going for a run, would you expect to be able to run a 10K race pace? Or would you instead remind yourself that that was your first run, and it takes time to get the hang of things.

Like any activity that you're just starting, it's going to take time getting used to it, finding your rhythm.

I love cycling, but then again, I race triathlons, so I suppose I'd better. I got into triathlon when I started cycling to cross train for half and full marathons. My marathon PR came while I was also training for a half ironman. All that cycling helped build my cardiovascular endurance, without all the pounding.

My vote is keep at it. Do you ride with a HRM? That should help tell you how much effort you're putting out. Oh, and I sweat while riding. A LOT. It just doesn't build up on me like it does when I'm running.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi can some one help. I am a runner but have just started getting out on my bike to cross train. This morning I rode 21.5 miles in 1 hour 37 mins. I did not feel as though my heart rate was elevated and there was no sweat!!!! I do not know if this was a nelow average speed or not.

Just looking for some kind of average ness!! This is not for any other reason than to
    Push myself into a new activity;))

Thanks

Glad you got out on a bike for a nice ride!

You will, in general, run a lower heart rate on a bike than running. Using a HR monitor (strap or wrist) and training in the Zones on a bike (just like running) will allow you to get more bang for your buck on the bike.

Training zones for running and biking all explained here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/power-training-levels

Although I know my HR and Wattage/Power zones for bike training pretty well, I like to break them down into an easy to remember perceived effort framework that quickly lets me know what zone I'm riding in on the bike. Rather than heart rate, watts, etc...

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

Based on your ride description, it sounds like you spent the majority of your ride in "old lady pace" with maybe a few bouts into "chatty pace". At the top end of "chatty pace" and moving into "feel good hard" is where your heart rate will pick up and in the "feel good hard" and "feel bad hard" zones is where you willl encounter sweat due to the effort.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your ride! Cycling is great cross training for running, a nice low impact way to improve overall fitness. Each will improve the the aerobic system and strengthen the leg muscles in a different way, a win all around! As with running, it will take some time to ramp up your skill and ability, but since you are already aerobically fit it will come quickly for you. That is demonstrated already in your ability to ride over twenty miles on your first ride, a distance most newbies have to build up to. (But you may still have to get acclimated to the seat!) Because cycling is non load bearing and low impact, it is very easy to cycle at a more leisurely pace, and many runners just assume cycling is therefore easier (too easy). But as with any activity, intensity is what builds fitness, so you will have to push yourself out of the comfort zone to attain improvement in fitness. Cycling is as easy or hard as you choose to make it, and that will be reflected in your heart rate. Train by heart rate, not speed. If you don't have a hrm then just use perceived exertion. If you're not sweating your not pushing hard enough, lol. Running is the easier way to get a good workout in a short time, but cycling offers the same rewards in a low (no) impact way. Again, congratulations on your ride! Cycling is a perfect compliment to running, allowing a great every other day run/ride pattern to ramp up fitness. The combination of the two is superior to either one alone.
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your exploring cycling! If you'd like a rigorous workout, find some hills in your area and hit them :) I guarantee hill climbing will make you sweat! Plus you get the fun of descending like a bat out of hell.

If you'd like to compare yourself to others on the same terrain, try out Strava. It's a free app you can get for your phone that tracks your ride and pace and allows you to asynchronously compete with other members on the same road segment. It's also pretty fun for running too!

Good luck and have fun!
  • gillian211179
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has given me some brilliant advice.

I am currently at the start of my training for my first half marathon. I can comfortably do 10.5 miles in 1 hour 15 whilst running so just got a little to do to get the full 13.5 miles under my belt. Along with the fact that over the past two months I have increased my muscle mass a bit too much, I am now looking to lower my muscle mass to aid my running. Hence the reason I have turned to cycling as a joint cardio routine.

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride this morning and did not intend to ride as far as I did. When I got home and looked at my gps I was shocked but quite pleased with myself.

I did push myself at certain points and there were a mixture of slow gradient and high gradient hills to keep me on my toes. My bike is a mountain bike that is probably more suited to off road. However it was a lovely present from my husband who bought it for me as I happened to mention I wanted to start cycling!!!! Maybe not the right thing but it is showing me support so very chuffed with it;)

My legs are certainly fatigued at the moment so it will be interesting to see how I manage a run tomorrow, then see the recovery on Tuesday;)

My speed today averaged 13mph so will keep this in my sights and set myself 10% increases like I did with my running;))

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom;)
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Giving this a bump because I find it helpful, too. :smile: