1st week and no weight loss!

Options
SAMTMM42
SAMTMM42 Posts: 3 Member
Good Morning,

I have just stepped on the scales after my first week of MFP and have put on a pound! Why? I have been keeping to 1340 a day and have been walking every day.... What do i need to do to start dropping some weight???

I have got 100lb to lose and just want to get rid of it now!

All help would be appreciated.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have lots of energy. That's good. This path requires patience. Keep doing what works and the scale will catch up in time.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    First off not sure height and other details but with 100lbs to lose you can probably still aim to net those 1300 calories. Make sure you're getting enough nutrients.

Also highly recommend you buy a food scale and weighing you food might be useful. Most prepackaged things the servings are 50-100 calories off so a bit here and a bit there means bye bye deficit. :( really annoying but true.

And don't worry the scales a pain it doesn't always drop as fast as we want but then drops big amounts randomly.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First it's been 1 week! This takes time. Now in that one week with a quick look at your diary you need to work on your logging.

1 week in you have:

Saturday looks incomplete
    You have entries like this: Generic - Basic Salad, 200 g 60 14 0 1 0 8 (What's a basic salad?)
    My basic salad is lots of bacon with a bit of lettuce and tomatoes.

Here's a few links that should help:

Log your food accurately and honestly this thread will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? That is the first place I would suggest you start if not.. Alot of us at some point on this journey had the hard realization that we was eating more than we thought we were. What is your height/weight/age? Need alittle bit more info to be able to establish some of answer to the question your asking..... :-)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My advice is to look at sodium, make sure youre drinking enough water, im guessing if you are not usually active and you've just started exercise that its water weight give it a little longer another week or 2 and weigh again
  • Pinkgoldturquoise
    Pinkgoldturquoise Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That really is weird! Im guessing you accidentally went over your allowance?
  • rugrat1mi
    rugrat1mi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just came off a slump and it was frustrating! Don't give up!

Keep tracking and you will begin to see the patterns that are helpful to you.

I would check your selection for clover spread. It probably doesn't have 0 calories.

Hang in there.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Patience. Rome wasn't built in a day. :flowerforyou:
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just had a peek at your food diary and wondering if there are some errors in there? For example the Clover spread 1tsp has no calories but 140g of fat? That doesn't sound right to me, double check the nutrition info on the pack.

Keep at it, best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

(Edited because I realised someone else above me just gave exact same advice earlier - sorry, should have read the whole thread!)
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's probably very unmotivating to not see your weight go down fast. To lose that much weight will take a while, it didn't come on overnight and sadly it doesn't disappear overnight. I have 88lb more to lose, already lost 44lb. My suggestion would be weigh your food, make sure it's nutritous and filling and drink plenty of water and try to stay with the calorie goal. If you need support feel free to add me, I'm always here :-).
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You say you're walking everyday yet I don't see that logged. Walking is exercise if you're raising your HR so you need to be eating those. If you're eating 1340 and burring 200 walking your net calories is 1140 which is to little. I would re do my calorie goals and choose lose 1 lb per week. Basically I think you're eating to little. Hope this helps.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    hey. firstly welcome to MFP. im also on 100lb journey and im 102 days in! my scale has been up and down but im not discouraged, we both have alot to lose which shows we have a lot to learn, and i certainly didnt learn it in a week. you will get there... just keep on pushing... add me if you wat. we can do this x
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Hi. 2 years ago, I was where you are now. Just beginning. I just logged in my 775th day today and over 100 pounds are GONE. Here is what I have learned from some very smart people on MFP:

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Practice delayed gratification. Work on this skill every time you feel the need to binge or eat mindlessly.

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.

This works. Also, read the sassy pants link above and work on building a plan to help you be successful.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Generally, the first week will have the biggest loss (water). Check your sodium intake, like the comment above suggests. Are you drinking at least 64oz of water everyday? That's really important!

Otherwise, unless you could have a medical issue (high stress, insomnia, hormones, thyroid issues), it's probable that you are overestimating your portions and/or logging inaccurately.

I find that entering my meals into the food diary before I eat will help me know how much I can have within my goals. :flowerforyou:
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, be patient. When I look at your logging a lot of things seem "suspect" crackers & roast beef that don't have or have very little sodium? Some sort of butter that has lots of fat but no calories? I have never seen anything like that here in Canada!

Tighten up your logging, eat more veggies (not necessary to lose weight but helps me to fill my tummy & not feel so hungry!), drink more water & eventually it will come off. If you are exercising, log it. Even if you don't eat back those calories, it gives you a reference to look at down the road if nothing has changed after a couple of weeks. It is all about trial and error & finding what works for you.
  • blairf83
    blairf83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's been a week. Give it time. I'm down 30 lbs since new years and there were times that I was ready to give it all up. I was hungry all the time, I wanted something delicious... but that gosh darn scale would not MOVE. And then one day... *boom*, there it went. Whatever it was my body was holding on to just dropped off! Differences in hydration will yield different results from day to day and even hour to hour on the scale. It's enough to drive a gal crazy but.... just keep doing!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You have 100 lbs to lose. You may as well settle in for the long haul. You are not going to lose it "now."

Having said that, it's better that you learn now that weight loss is not linear. What I mean by that is, it won't always go by the numbers. You may have some weeks where you stay perfectly within your calorie limits and gain weight, followed by a week where you go over on your calories and lose weight. And don't even get me started on daily fluctuations.

What you really want to track is your trends over time. If the numbers are generally going downward, then you are successful.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. 2 years ago, I was where you are now. Just beginning. I just logged in my 775th day today and over 100 pounds are GONE. Here is what I have learned from some very smart people on MFP:

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Practice delayed gratification. Work on this skill every time you feel the need to binge or eat mindlessly.

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.

This works. Also, read the sassy pants link above and work on building a plan to help you be successful.

This is excellent advice, as well as the links others have posted. Best of luck to you!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You won't drop 100lbs now!!. My weight loss has been very slow and i feel like giving up sometimes but you just have to keep at it, im going in the right direction of down which i would have been going UP if i had not stuck to it. Log everything you eat and drink and log your walking, it will come off but it is a marathon not a race.

Good luck and you can do this.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you have 100 pounds to lose, and have only been restricting calories for a week, then yes, you should have lost a few pounds. The obvious answer is that you are not logging your calories correctly and are eating more than you think you are.

That was the hardest thing for me to finally accept- that I had to log everything as accurately as possible. No eyeballing it, or guesstimating. I had to measure and weigh everything and log every bite I put in my mouth.
    I also had to accept that I needed fewer calories than I thought I did.

So work on that food log. -I noticed the spread that had 140 g fat per teaspoon as well, but no calories listed. If you found that in the database, it is wrong. Check the label on your container and create a correct entry. 140g = 1260 calories. I don't think 1 teaspoon of anything has that many calories.
    Also, up your protein some. Make sure you hit your goal on that every day.