Water ....

Options
Ok I have been doing some research and asking around and it seems to help the weight loss that I should be drinking half my body weight in ounces.
145 ounces a day seems like a awful lot to me.
Also being on a water pill like I am won't that make me sell up more?

Thoughts etc?

Thanks
swtsassy65

Replies

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never seen that recommendation. Water is water. It's good to drink it but the amount needed varies from person to person. Basically it's like every other bodily function. When you're hungry, you eat, when you need to pee, you go to the bathroom, when you're thirsty, drink something.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I really don't follow any set X amount a day for water intake. In fact if I'm honest I don't like water very much. I drink pop, tea, & a bit of water during the average day. When I workout I get through a 750ml water bottle. Don't overthink it as previous poster stated just follow the cues your body provides.
  • tgab1234
    tgab1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinking half your body weight has been a common recommendation for a while. However, if you have a medical reason for taking a diuretic then I'd ask your doctor for the appropriate amount for your specific health situation, as well as, to support your weight loss efforts.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never seen that recommendation. Water is water. It's good to drink it but the amount needed varies from person to person. Basically it's like every other bodily function. When you're hungry, you eat, when you need to pee, you go to the bathroom, when you're thirsty, drink something.

If you wait until you're thirsty to drink water, you're already dehydrated
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Drinking half of your body weight in water has been a common guideline for a while. However, 145 ounces would be like 18 cups of water per day, which is a lot. I generally try to hit 8 cups of water a day, and even more if I am still thirsty. Do not wait until you are "thirsty" to drink water. Drink a glass before every meal, and during your workouts.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I don't track water but I drink a lot of it. It helps keep me from eating too much because of feeling somewhat full from the water.
  • Swtsassy65
    Swtsassy65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    It was my nurse which first told me to drink that much. And is just way to much for me I think. Plus we only have 1 bathroom in the house :)
    I will go on what my body says and then a glass before I eat.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I stick with the 64oz/day. I don't really like water, but when I drink it, I find the scale doesn't fluctuate so much daily (because of salt).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Drink when your thirst the science behind 8 glasses of day is well non existent. Your body can perfectly tell you when your thirsty. You also get a lot of fluid via foods most vegetables and fruit are at least 70% water. Keeping hydrated is great but far too many people over do it.
  • KennaCanuck
    KennaCanuck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's also possible to die from drinking too much water, and that it will flush out needed electrolytes like sodium and potassium from your body if you drink too much. This is another fad, in my opinion, and the research is very sketchy if nonexistent. There's something called evidence-based practice that medical personnel are supposed to follow, but I have seen nothing on this in any site I've read or seen or heard about, just some post-WWII research that recommended 8 glasses of water a day including food, for soldiers.
  • 2balletgirl
    Options
    I've read that it's also possible to die from drinking too much water

Yes I have heard of this happening (radio contest called "hold your wee for a wii") but don't worry you would have to drink an absurd amount of water for this to occur.
    I read in National Geographic that their isn't a set amount of water that any person should drink. You should drink water before and after workouts (just small sips during to avoid stitches), before meals, and when you are thirsty.