Can I make cupcakes low-fat?

Options
Well, I'm a cupcake fiend, but I hate how fattening they are. I want to make some carrot-cake cupcakes. Cand I get some ideas on substitutions for the eggs, milk, buttercream frosting, etc?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Egg whites

Low fat milk

Applesauce or greek yogurt for oil

Don't use buttercream frosting?
  • Nancyhusanu
    Options
    do you mean from a box or from scratch?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes are fattening from the calories, not the fat. Fat happens to contribute more calories in bang for buck, but don't get it twisted: the calories from the carbs, sugar, etc. are also contributing.

Achrya's recommendations are good for reducing calories. Working on reducing sugar and/or using sugar substitutes is where you could really shave off some calories, as well. People also swear by Cool Whip as a frosting replacement.

Of all replacements, low fat/skim milk and sugar replacements (stevia, splenda, etc.; even the baking varieties) are a mixed bag, in my experience.

Applesauce instead of oil, on the other hand, makes things taste better, in my opinion.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that "fat" doesn't cause us to gain weight and get fat, excessive calories from ANY source cause us to gain weight. But if you're having trouble fitting a 400 calories cupcake with frosting into your day, check this out:

http://thesveltegourmet.blogspot.com/2010/11/a-maz-ing-100-calorie-cupcake.html

I've made them before and they rock! I'm sure you could add some shredded carrot to them to imitate carrot cake. It already tastes similar because of the spices. Definitely make sure you follow the directions about the egg whites, otherwise the cupcakes will be dense and not fluffy.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Some people use silken tofu, mashed bananas or applesauce for eggs. Bananas and applesauce can also be used for oil. I would google those kinds of things with a eye on the balance of flavors.

Here is a recipe I have for muffins that are healthy(ish). You could use half carrots for some zuchinni. You could also add nuts or even chocolate chips.

This is a huge batch (4+ dozen muffins) so you can half it and they freeze well. It's a good recipe to change things in and it's always been light and fluffy. Many people like to cut the sugar.

Kitchen Sink Zucchini Muffins
    Preheat oven to 325
    Dry Ingredients:
    4.5 cups flour (can replace with half whole wheat)
    2.5 cups sugar
    1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
    1 Tablespoon Baking soda
    1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
    1.5 teaspoon salt
    1 cup Veggie oil (can replace with Olive Oil, applesauce)
    1 cup mashed bananas
    6 eggs
    3 cups shredded zucchini
    1 20 ounce can CRUSHED pineapple (juice drained)
    1 Tablespoon Vanilla

In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in oil, eggs, zucchini, pineapple and vanilla (I think it’s helpful to slightly mix the wet ingredients)

Bake in muffins tins (with cups) for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: Shredded zuchinni has a lot of moisture. I use a kitchen towel to get as much out as possible,
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Some people use silken tofu, mashed bananas or applesauce for eggs. Bananas and applesauce can also be used for oil. I would google those kinds of things with a eye on the balance of flavors.

Here is a recipe I have for muffins that are healthy(ish). You could use half carrots for some zuchinni. You could also add nuts or even chocolate chips.

This is a huge batch (4+ dozen muffins) so you can half it and they freeze well. It's a good recipe to change things in and it's always been light and fluffy. Many people like to cut the sugar.

Kitchen Sink Zucchini Muffins
    Preheat oven to 325
    Dry Ingredients:
    4.5 cups flour (can replace with half whole wheat)
    2.5 cups sugar
    1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
    1 Tablespoon Baking soda
    1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
    1.5 teaspoon salt
    1 cup Veggie oil (can replace with Olive Oil, applesauce)
    1 cup mashed bananas
    6 eggs
    3 cups shredded zucchini
    1 20 ounce can CRUSHED pineapple (juice drained)
    1 Tablespoon Vanilla

In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in oil, eggs, zucchini, pineapple and vanilla (I think it’s helpful to slightly mix the wet ingredients)

Bake in muffins tins (with cups) for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: Shredded zuchinni has a lot of moisture. I use a kitchen towel to get as much out as possible,

Looks awesome. I'm trying it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    If you're using a boxed cake mix, combine the mix with 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree (just that; no eggs, oil or water) for fat-free, higher-fiber cupcakes. Works especially well with chocolate or spice cake mix.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters for the eggs, Kroger carbmaster milk for the water, and replace half the oil with any fruit purée from those squeeze pouches. That way I get higher protein and cut some of the fat. No one has even noticed the difference in my cakes. I don't actually eat cake much myself but I really enjoy decorating them and taking them to church.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I mean.. isn't a low fat cupcake just a muffin?
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Covered Katie has some low cal/ low fat recipes. I haven't tried any of them.

chocolatecoveredkatie.com/category/healthy-pies-and-cakes
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Nope:sad:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a cupcake fiend, but I hate how fattening they are. I want to make some carrot-cake cupcakes. Cand I get some ideas on substitutions for the eggs, milk, buttercream frosting, etc?
    Cup cakes aren't fattening themselves. What's fattening is just consuming extra calories than you burn. I'm making my normal blueberry cupcakes today and I'll eat one because I have factored those calories into my day. There is no reason why you cannot eat things you like as long as you plan them and eat them in moderation.

Make cupcakes eat and enjoy
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think I would much rather have a smaller, full-fat cupcake than a great big, low-fat one. My advice would be to make mini cupcakes using all the normal ingredients.
  • futurethin2014
    Options
    Sounds good to me ...
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The zucchini ones sound good