Night eating and sabotaging all my good work

Options
Help! does anyone have a cure for night eating? Every night I get up and eat between 300-500 calories. It happens between 3am and 4am. I've had this as long as I can remember but it's got worse. When I was younger it was chocolate, now it's carbs and sweetness. Basically if I didn't do this my diet I would be healthy and within my calorie intake for the day. Is there anyone out there the same? Have you controlled it? I hate it so much. I wake up and start eating, I know what I'm doing but I can't stop myself from doing it. Sometimes I don't know I've done it til the morning.
I don't know if my fullness hormone is working properly. Even after a meal during the day I don't feel full until about an hour later.
Any advice gratefully received, I feel so stupid for it.

Replies

• fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting yourself during the day too much? Cut out entire food groups?
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    In to see if you get any answers/suggestions.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor about this.

Edited to Add: A quick Internet search labels night time eating as an eating disorder. It mentions you could have low melatonin. Granted, the article I found is on Wikipedia.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber?

Only at weekends, as it makes me bloat.
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Try slowly increasing fiber intake. Drink enough water too.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Randomly, this group is listed in the sidebar for me at the moment - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/22041-no-nighttime-eating-support-group

It might be a fairly obvious point, but is there anything you can do to sabotage your night-time eating self? Such as, to hide the food you're likely to want, put it under healthy things...... ermm mousetraps?
  • shapefitter
    Options
    Are you restricting yourself during the day too much? Cut out entire food groups?

I eat mainly cheese, dairy and egg.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

I eat mainly cheese, dairy and egg.

So you either need to work those 500 calories into your daily allotment, or try eating the things you crave at night, during the day.

Both are doing pretty much the same thing.
  • cdavison2018
    cdavison2018 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you confusing tired and hungry urges? A lot of people seem to have this problem and try to eat away their fatigue. Waking up may mean you are just completing one of those 90 minute sleep cycles and are still quite naturally tired. If your stomach is growling and you are genuinely hungry that is another matter.:yawn:
  • shapefitter
    Options
    You should see a doctor about this.

Edited to Add: A quick Internet search labels night time eating as an eating disorder. It mentions you could have low melatonin. Granted, the article I found is on Wikipedia.

I'd suggest it's more of a habit, than anything else. Eating protein, two hours before bedtime should set you straight. My family, where all night time snackers. Good luck!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you're eating mostly cheese, dairy and egg you're probably craving carbohydrates. Maybe you can try working some good carbs (whole grains, veggies) into your food plan. This might curb your craving for sweets at night.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it. Unless you're sleepwalking and have no control over what you're doing, just don't do it.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! YES! I had the same problem. I am T2 diabetic and the doctor figured out that my absolutely ravenous eating....and I mean ravenous, as no matter how hard I tried to ignore it or drink water, I HAD TO EAT!! It was my blood sugar dropping very low in the middle of the sleep cycle. I was instructed to eat something very, very high fat just before going to bed and that cured it. So, I eat an ounce of cream cheese on celery, or 3 TBSP heavy cream in tea, or 1 oz brazil nuts or macadamia nuts, right before I brush teeth and go to bed. I also make sure that I take that snack with a full 16 ounces of water to get that "full" feeling, like I had just eaten a large meal (the psychological factor). It works. I do not wake up hungry until after 7:00 a.m. in the morning. Hope this helps.
  • Dwinklepleck
    Dwinklepleck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would set out something to eat that wont destroy your diet...I have an entire package (4 cups prepared) of sugar free jello premade waiting for me if i feel the urge to late night binge.. (80 calories), everything else in my fridge requires prep work which I am not going to do at 3 AM.
  • nicolahall24
    Options
    Try keeping a little bowl of raisins and some water next to the bed.. it does help.. or putting a lock on your kitchen door... then if you wake up and head to the kitchen you will br forced to think about it a little more when it happeneds. If you live with anyone give them the key before bed.. as soon as you are out of the habit it should get get easier and eventually stop
    Good luck
  • shapefitter
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! YES! I had the same problem. I am T2 diabetic and the doctor figured out that my absolutely ravenous eating....and I mean ravenous, as no matter how hard I tried to ignore it or drink water, I HAD TO EAT!! It was my blood sugar dropping very low in the middle of the sleep cycle. I was instructed to eat something very, very high fat just before going to bed and that cured it. So, I eat an ounce of cream cheese on celery, or 3 TBSP heavy cream in tea, or 1 oz brazil nuts or macadamia nuts, right before I brush teeth and go to bed. I also make sure that I take that snack with a full 16 ounces of water to get that "full" feeling, like I had just eaten a large meal (the psychological factor). It works. I do not wake up hungry until after 7:00 a.m. in the morning. Hope this helps.

This should work. But, just in case, keep a glass of milk next to your bed, as it's low kcal and will stabilise your blood sugar. And don't forget to brush your teeth :)
  • 2balletgirl
    Options
    The same thing happens to me sometimes, especially when I don't eat a substantial snack before I go to bed. But when I do wake up super hungry I find a hot cup of chamomile tea really helps. I put in some milk for protein and that's it. Plus chamomile always tea makes me sleepy! Hope this helps!:)
  • KornishPiskie
    KornishPiskie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't have fibre on my diary but my fibre is pretty good, but will change that