Can overweight people learn to do handstands

Options
Yes, the title of this topic might sound funny.

I want to be more flexible and strong... I think it'd be nice practicing to do a headstand and then a handstand. I would need a lot of core and arm strength... This link shows a bit how to practice with yoga moves.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Do-Headstand-Yoga-18931450

Question -- Since I am 155 lbs and have a BMI of 27.5 , would I not be able to hold my weight up? Would it be too much strain on my body and be sort of impossible holding myself up?

Maybe I would only be able to do this when I am 20-35 lbs lighter.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's really more about your strength and balance than your weight.

It's not impossible. 155lbs isn't morbidly obese. Just train yourself and try it. It will get easier as you lose weight, but at 155 lbs it's not your weight that's holding you back, it's your strength and balance.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Practice up against a wall. Most yoga instructors I know like you to do this if you cannot find the right balance in the pose.
  • sbs8855
    sbs8855 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agree - you could do it now. You just need to build your strength.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm doing it. i'm starting against a wall and doing head stands first. like morebean said it's more about strength than weight.

even though my legs are supported against the wall and i'm only using more arms for keeping balance, the head stands are a killer workout on my upper back, shoulders and biceps and triceps.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think thats a fantastic goal, and your joints should be fine.
    Sounds like a great way to build up strength.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm about 125 and 4'10 so I am overweight too. Like everyone else has been saying, handstands are definitely strength and balance-based and you should start out by doing them against a wall. It's also important before attempting to go through the motions of a handstand against a wall to get comfortable with holding your upper body upside down. So it is best to either use a chair to support your feet or you can walk your feet up on a wall, and you can straighten your arms and point your head towards the floor.

I have been working on hanstands for ages. I have my technique fairly well--although I am not free handstand ready. However I am able to do a few handstand pushups and hold against a wall for more than a minute. Hope this helps/motivates you!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yes you can and yes it is more about learning where you are in the inverted postures rather than how much weight you have to invert. I am currently a BMI of 29 and I am doing headstand as part of my daily (Ashtanga) routine and we routinely do handstands in class.

Alignment is more important than the strength to do it - you already most likely have that and you just need to learn the skill. A lot has to do with how flexible you are in your hamstrings as that will determine how far you can get your hips over your shoulders and your wrists in a vertical line before you commit to the full inversion - that will make things much easier. Core strength - getting up there and then holding the pose - is more important than arm strength as your weight is being carried through the vertical arm rather than by muscular strength; like the shoulder press in the lock out position.

- even more awesome would be to go along to a good yoga class where you will work the handstand in the middle of the room with one or two partners under the direction of a teacher - that will take you away from the reliance on the wall, which can become more of a crutch than a support eventually.

Do it! The world looks totally different from upsidedown!
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I could do a handstand when i was 1.50 cm tall and weighed 60 kg (i was like, 12). So yes, you can.

And i still can, but 75% of the time i fall on my *kitten*
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, the title of this topic might sound funny.

I want to be more flexible and strong... I think it'd be nice practicing to do a headstand and then a handstand. I would need a lot of core and arm strength... This link shows a bit how to practice with yoga moves.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Do-Headstand-Yoga-18931450

Question -- Since I am 155 lbs and have a BMI of 27.5 , would I not be able to hold my weight up? Would it be too much strain on my body and be sort of impossible holding myself up?

Maybe I would only be able to do this when I am 20-35 lbs lighter.

Not sure why you think your weight is an issue if you're 155lbs... That's hardly heavy...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I weigh 170 and do handstands regularly. You got this. I'm almost to full handstand pushups. You can do whatever you believe you can, for the most part. Good luck and have fun!:smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options

Alignment is more important than the strength to do it - you already most likely have that and you just need to learn the skill. A lot has to do with how flexible you are in your hamstrings as that will determine how far you can get your hips over your shoulders and your wrists in a vertical line before you commit to the full inversion - that will make things much easier. Core strength - getting up there and then holding the pose - is more important than arm strength as your weight is being carried through the vertical arm rather than by muscular strength; like the shoulder press in the lock out position.

Yep, just like Carl said. It's about flexibility as much as strength. It's also about confidence. I've helped many people up into handstand that weigh more than you do, and confidence is the biggest issue I work with. Flexibility is next, then strength. I weigh about what you do and handstands are no problem for me. I also do 5+ minute headstands. You'll get this no problem.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's really more about your strength and balance than your weight.

It's not impossible. 155lbs isn't morbidly obese. Just train yourself and try it. It will get easier as you lose weight, but at 155 lbs it's not your weight that's holding you back, it's your strength and balance.

Yeah, human muscles can hold even more than that, you just have to train gradually. Stay strong. ;)
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh 321 pounds and can do free standing hand stands and hold them for about 20 seconds.

The only thing that ever stops someone from accomplishing something is their own self doubt.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said - I could do handstands when I was +200lbs. Mind your wrists - practice with bunny hops first and up against a wall and make sure there is cusioning (spl?) and a safe area around and behind you. I love that I do handstands - I do it in the playground with the kids at school and they are always delighted and surprised lol. I even went as far as doing a full forward walkover the other week :). Good luck - and post a pick when you succeed!