Confused

Options
MrsC1st
MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
Are you supposed to burn half of the calories eaten each day. If you consume fourteen hundred fifty calories per day, how many calories should you burn per day?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What? No. Create a reasonable calorie deficit every day, say 500. That means, if it takes you 2500 calories to maintain the weight you are currently, then consume 2000. If you exercise, you are creating an even greater deficit, so you will want to eat those calories back. For instance, if you eat 2000 calories, then burn off 365 through exercise, then you will have created an even greater deficit and you will want to eat those calories back.

ProTip: Most agree that MFP overestimates calories burned. I generally record about 2/3 of the actual exercise I do, then eat all of those calories back.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP to calculate your calories then you're supposed to eat that much every day; your deficit is worked into it. If you exercise on top of that, you should eat roughly half of the calories back that you burn (if calculated by MFP because it over estimates).

So, if MFP told you that your daily allotted calories are 1450 then you eat that many calories. If on top of that you exercised enough where MFP is telling you that you burned 200 calories, you eat 100 calories back on top of your 1450, so you eat 1550 that day.

Hope this helps!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal that MFP has assigned you is what you need to eat to lose the amount of weight you specified. If you add exercise to your normal daily routine, you should eat at least some of those exercise calories back.

Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Exercise for fitness.
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    What? No. Create a reasonable calorie deficit every day, say 500. That means, if it takes you 2500 calories to maintain the weight you are currently, then consume 2000. If you exercise, you are creating an even greater deficit, so you will want to eat those calories back. For instance, if you eat 2000 calories, then burn off 365 through exercise, then you will have created an even greater deficit and you will want to eat those calories back.

ProTip: Most agree that MFP overestimates calories burned. I generally record about 2/3 of the actual exercise I do, then eat all of those calories back.

Thanks for breaking this down for me in simple, easy to understand terms.
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    If you're using MFP to calculate your calories then you're supposed to eat that much every day; your deficit is worked into it. If you exercise on top of that, you should eat roughly half of the calories back that you burn (if calculated by MFP because it over estimates).

So, if MFP told you that your daily allotted calories are 1450 then you eat that many calories. If on top of that you exercised enough where MFP is telling you that you burned 200 calories, you eat 100 calories back on top of your 1450, so you eat 1550 that day.

Hope this helps!
    [/quote

Thanks for helping me with this!
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    The calorie goal that MFP has assigned you is what you need to eat to lose the amount of weight you specified. If you add exercise to your normal daily routine, you should eat at least some of those exercise calories back.

Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Exercise for fitness.

Thanks for your help