Anti-depressants (citalopram)

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone was taking this medication and if had any affect on your weight. I have been taking it for around 5 months following the birth of my baby in June 2010. I have gained 2 stone whilst taking this medication, however I am not under the illusion that its the medication that has caused the weight gain.

I love my food and far too much of the wrong stuff, and would have expected weight gain, but not as much as I have put on.

Also, providing I stick to my calorie intake and exercise do you think I could lose some of the weight? What have others done?

Many thanks for any response you can give. x

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take a different anti-depressant. I have gained weight since I started, but I also quit smoking, so that didn't help! I think anti-depressants can cause weight gain by increasing your appetite, but it is worth it to feel better. I may want to eat more, but at least I have more will to do something about it. If you stick to the diet and exercise, you will lose weight. The meds wont stop that.
  • sinks
    sinks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started taking an anti-depressant in the middle of my weight loss. And I just kept losing. Most anti-depressants have the possible side effects of weight gain initially, but that goes away once your body adjust to the medication. So, I would say, diet and exercise WILL WORK, but talking to your doctor is probably your best bet.