Any other female lifters with high testosterone levels?

Options
I've been lifting heavy since October. I had my 3rd baby in August. Breastfeeding two kiddos but was still menstruating. Quit menstruating in February. Had a hormone saliva test and my testosterone is way elevated at 91. Lifting doesn't cause this, right?

Replies

• wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lifting does elevate testosterone levels in both men and women, though generally not "abnormally" so. It may be a contributor, but my (totally amateur) guess is that it's not the sole cause. Hypergonadism is a thing for both men and women, and should be totally treatable.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    and usually for only short periods of time......
    After exercise, testosterone levels rise -- but not for long.

"Sometimes it’s 15 minutes after exercise that testosterone is elevated. Sometimes it can be up to an hour,” says Todd Schroeder, PhD, who studies exercise and hormones in older men at the University of Southern California.

http://www.webmd.com/men/features/exercise-and-testosterone
  • mommacxjx
    mommacxjx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I see a functional medicine doctor Friday to help figure out what the cause is.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    The fact that you did a hormone saliva test instead of a blood test, and that you're seeing a "functional medicine doctor" raises red flags. Hopefully the doctor has a M.D. degree, or they may not be qualified to diagnose & treat you properly.
    Just my 2 cents..
  • mommacxjx
    mommacxjx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    He's a board certified OB/GYN. Hormone saliva tests are much more accurate than a blood test taken at a non specified time of the day, actually. Unlike a regular OB/GYN he will look at all my systems and body functions to treat me instead of finding drugs to mask symptoms.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    I recently had a blood test, and my testosterone levels are significantly higher than the female average. I asked my coach, who confirmed it is more likely that it is an effect of a low weight/body fat.