Women, what are "maintenance calories" for you?

Options

Replies

• DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The same question has popped into my head recently as I near my desired weight of 57kg (which is the weight I've been for most of my adult life, until menopause and two broken ankles contributed to a 20 kg weight gain). I'm 165cm tall (5'6") and almost 58.

I've been sticking at 1200 cals for weight loss, and hardly ever eating back my exercise calories. Once I hit my goal weight, the first thing I will do is eat back my exercise calories and raise the limit to 1500 cals. After a month, I'll review my weight change and adjust if necessary. It will certainly be nice to have a few glasses of wine!
  • noxnib
    noxnib Posts: 1
    Options
    5ft. 2,500-3,000 cal
    i've gained about 33 pounds on it so far but i am now maintaining on it which is awesome
    im now 103 lb
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for six months prob eating up to around 2800 or even more a day - i binge eat outwith my logging - yes something Im getting help with. Im 146lb age 30 5 ft 5 but I do seven workouts every week including hiit training, weights etc. Im very active.
    I reckon trial and error and don't be afraid to eat more!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 5'7" and 127lb. I maintain without exercise at 1750-1800.

I burn 600 cals an hour running
    4-500 cycling and swimming
    200 walking
    300ish weight training, maybe more....

non exercise days are sad food dayz.....

I've got in the habit of under playing my exercise calories a little(10%), and allowing the odd day 'off piste' ie for a heavy weights day, I may add a few hundred extra cals to bulk a bit that day, and cut a little fat all the other days. Just a bit of recomping as I am happy where I am.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have recently his maitenance weight, so working my way up to maitenance calories.

It should be around 2100 a day...

I am 41, 5 ft 7, lift 3x a week (heavy), HIIT/Cardio 2-3x a week, desk job but a mom and lead a very active life.

I am still losing eating 1900-1950 a day...about 1/4lb-1/2lb a week...

I am hoping that my maitenance goes up as I see lots of women my size eating more...not sure what I would eat as the food I consume seems to satisfy me quite well.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    34yo, 5'2 135lb around 17% BF. I have a large amount of lean mass and maintain on 2400-2500 cals. This is via TDEE, I don't play the tracking burns game. I've built my metabolism up to this level as I use to not be able to maintain so high even when I had a higher activity level. Right now I'm just lifting as always with a powerlifting focus 4 days a week, sometimes 5 for 45-60 mins. I think I fit in cardio once a week right now for 15 mins.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 5'5" and around 155lbs - work from home and walk 30-60 minutes daily with strength training 2x a week -- 1800 calories seems to do it for me and I do not eat back exercise calories as my day is way more sedentary than MFP assumes

but like most people note - we are all going to be different :)
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and always stay at 110lbs no matter how much I eat. I could eat 1500cal or 2100 cal and all it does to me is my body will trigger itself to go to the loo more... And my weight stays the same. I know it's weird... But then it's impossible for me to go above or under that weight. Actually if anyone has any tip to help me with this I would love you forever. Lol. Thanks.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and always stay at 110lbs no matter how much I eat. I could eat 1500cal or 2100 cal and all it does to me is my body will trigger itself to go to the loo more... And my weight stays the same. I know it's weird... But then it's impossible for me to go above or under that weight. Actually if anyone has any tip to help me with this I would love you forever. Lol. Thanks.

Why do u want to be under 110? You are certainly not overweight. maybe you want to gain? My advice: if you are seeking body changes relative to size and definition, strength, firmness aka tone - don't seek to lose weight. Focus on body recomposition. Eat as high as you can and add progressive strength training to your life. You may go up on the scale but your body will transform to leaner, stronger and firmer.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Under 1500. :sad:
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3.5", 64 years old, wanting to lose another 9-14 #, and average about 1700 (gross, not net). I am losing very slowly, so maintenance for me will probably be about 1800 (1850 according to Scooby!). My main exercise is walking & try to get at least 10,000 steps on Fitbit, but a lot of days life gets in the way & it is way less. (retirement is rough, lol!) Think I will have to start some strength training (or at least body weight exercise at first), because I like to eat!!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

non exercise days are sad food dayz.....

Truth :cry:
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am 38 years old, 5'4" and 144 lbs. I maintain at about 2100-2200 calories. Right now, I am eating about 1900 a day and losing about a 1/2 a pound a week. I lift heavy 3x a week, HIIT 3x a week and walk 3+ miles almost every day. I work from home and it's pretty much a desk job, but I do a lot of running around. I try not to sit for longer than 45 min at a time. I also have 4 kids ranging in ages 5-21 who all still live at home, so they keep me busy, too.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    nearly 42yo, 5'8.5", still have some weight to lose (? 15-20lbs?), no PCOS or other metabolic issues.

I inadvertently maintained for awhile and found an average of about 2400 worked for me under normal circumstances. I'm basically a slug at home, but when I'm out of the house, I move around alot (city living without a car), keep up with my 9yo & 3yo, also run, take long walks for fat burning, and hit the gym 3-4 times per week. I'm currently averaging 17,000+steps per day, mainly because I've upped the running & walking so I can eat the same but still create a deficit to try to lose the rest of this flab.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think it's 2225? that includes lots of walking due to the fact I don't own a car and 1-2 x5 hour waitressing shifts at my work. It's hard to say, cause it's holidays now and if I'm not working extra my maintenance calorie well be less :3
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 2,000/day. I don't work out. But I do run around at work a lot some days. :-)

Any exercise I do, even just walking around, I will log and gladly eat back. I try to walk at least thirty minutes a day.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of trying to figure this out. I switched to maintaining about a month ago, going by MFP's estimate for me (I'm 27 years old, 5'1", and trying to maintain around 105 lbs). Since switching to maintenance, I've lost another 3 pounds, which is not cool. . . I'm starting to notice hormonal issues connected to low body fat. I'm going to be attempting to gain those 3 pounds back. The maintenance number MFP gave me is 1600, so I suspect my true maintenance number for staying between 104-106 is around 1800-2000 (net).

This maintaining thing is hard, a lot harder to figure out than losing. I think it is going to take a couple months to figure it out, at least!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    5'5" 122-125 lb - maintenance is about 2300 for me. I'm quite active.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    Oh boy. I was still slowly losing weight at 2700 so my coach has me up to 3010 now with very specific macros. I train powerlifting 3 days a week, LISS for 20 min 3x/wk.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    an average of 2000 seems to work for me if I want to maintain my weight