Nutritionist

Options
Has anyone used a nutritionist? Do you think it's worth spending money on a Nutritionist?
Opinions wanted :)

Replies

• voitdancer
    voitdancer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I second your question?!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I did last year while I was doing marathon training. For me, it was more just overall evaluation and confirmation that I was in the right place doing the right thing. I really enjoyed her help and she gave me a lot of good info on things like best combinations of foods and what areas I had deficits in to correct. I didn't ask her to do any extensive meal planning or anything for me, because I like the freedom to do that stuff myself.

I think they can be a useful tool, but since you have access to the internet, you really could do a lot of it on your own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    It's probably better to go with a Registered Dietician. Just about anyone over 18 can take an online study course in nutrition, pass the test and be "certified" by the organization hosting the test.
    I could probably pass the nutrition test in A.C.E. with no issue, but personally I don't think that would be as legitimate as an actual BS in nutrition or being a licensed RD.
    That's not to say that ALL nutritionists aren't credible. You just have to make sure that the one you get has credibility.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information ninerbuff. I will look out for that and do a little more research.

@thepetiterunn
    Yeah that's basically what the girl in my city does. She kind of tells you what to eat, when to eat, what combo's to eat together, ect.
    I'm a really picky eater.. For example I don't like fish, avocado, tomatoes, cottage cheese, oil and vinegar and lettuce freaks me out,etc lol SO she would put together a menu for me for the week that would actually have things that I like to eat. That's one of the biggest reasons I would want to pay her.I like the structure but hate putting together menus lol like I know what is bad and what is good but I don't know how much to have of each so having it all laid out before me would help..

I'm still thinking about it.

Thank you!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It's probably better to go with a Registered Dietician. Just about anyone over 18 can take an online study course in nutrition, pass the test and be "certified" by the organization hosting the test.
    I could probably pass the nutrition test in A.C.E. with no issue, but personally I don't think that would be as legitimate as an actual BS in nutrition or being a licensed RD.
    That's not to say that ALL nutritionists aren't credible. You just have to make sure that the one you get has credibility.

IDEA Fitness member

This x1000. Nutritionist isn't a protected term, like registered dietician, so anyone, even a person with zero nutrition education, can call themselves a "nutritionist." With an RD, you know you're getting someone who knows their stuff.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've worked with both a nutritionist and a dietician. A dietician is much more aware of the ramifications of nutrition on an individual. Anyway, yes. I would recommend seeing one. I have gotten a lot of information and support from seeing a dietician. She's the reason, I found out that I wasn't eating enough protein for the amount of exercise I do and also she helped me start to eat better even though I thought I was doing ok. Unfortunately, she had to move so I am looking for another to work with. I tend to undereat when left to my own devices. And as a result of her intervention, I now am drinking enough water a day for the first time in my (long) life. :smooched:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This x1000. Nutritionist isn't a protected term, like registered dietician, so anyone, even a person with zero nutrition education, can call themselves a "nutritionist." With an RD, you know you're getting someone who knows their stuff.

This. My "nutritionist" is an RN who is also an RD with a Masters in Nutritional Science. I trust what she has to say, especially because she backs it up with a list of various studies I can read on my own.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a registered dietician. I do like to plan my own menus but she has had wonderful suggestions. Things like adding cinnamon to my sweet potatoes even though I don't add sugar. My Dr suggested her and I wanted to make sure I did this correctly.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Nutritionist is a meaningless term. Get an RD.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think most people don't need either, especially if you're willing to read a couple books. Learning how to eat well is the easy part, complying is the hard part. But sometimes paying someone is a better learning experience and increases compliance.

Though what I've seen come from some 'nutritionists' (and even RDs) makes me wonder what they're taught, because it seems to usually be the same old diet advice that's been recirculating for 50 years, and half of which is based on myths and misunderstandings. Drink x glasses of water, eat every x hours, etc.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I think most people don't need either, especially if you're willing to read a couple books. Learning how to eat well is the easy part, complying is the hard part. But sometimes paying someone is a better learning experience and increases compliance.

True, but if insurance pays for it why not take advantage of all resources available? I really don't think I would have gone to my RD if it wasn't covered but I feel that informing yourself from a number of different sources is a good thing.
  • LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a dietician regularly right now, for eating issues. She's actually been really helpful with meal ideas that don't go over my fear calorie level, but still provide a lot of nutrition! I think if you find someone good it's a great idea. :)
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used a nutritionist to help guide me with food choices etc. He explained everything with diagrams (all the sciencey stuff). I followed his advice and dropped 21lbs and I am very happy with that. I used his food diaries for a while (paper ones) before I discovered MFP and switched to that instead and even though I hit my target weight I still log on here. He was great though, he was available via facebook for advice at any time.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    I wouldn't use a nutritionist as by and large they are unregulated. Instead, seek out a Registered Dietitian. Registered Dietitians are regulated by law and must pass board certifications. My R.D. has been instrumental in helping me lose weight. She is truly an expert in the area of eating behavior modification as well as nutrition.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Out of desperation, I called the only one in town to see if she could help me and she told me she only "spoke for companies". :huh: I took that to mean she did the motivational speaking crap and had no interest in helping a lone, fat slob.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    With some of the 'advice' I've seen come from both, if I wanted good advice, I wouldn't bother, but would take the time to do the research myself - which I have done.

And the vast majority of my research leads me to the conclusion that overall it's a lot simpler than most people try and make out! :)

This is a good start: http://rippedbody.jp/2013/12/19/nutritional-hierarchy-importance-fat-loss-muscle-growth/
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Out of desperation, I called the only one in town to see if she could help me and she told me she only "spoke for companies". :huh: I took that to mean she did the motivational speaking crap and had no interest in helping a lone, fat slob.
    If you've lost 137 lbs., you probably know more than she does, anyway.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it would be a waste of money. From what I've heard from people who have been to one they really rarely offer sound suggestions.

I have done/do a lot of nutritional research on my own and really suggest others do the same. We know our bodies better than anyone else ever could and, if we are honest, we can learn what will work best for ourselves. I've lost over 100 lbs (still losing) using my own customized plan based on what I have learned about nutrition & my body.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist for a little bit before she ended up having to move. She was really nice, was able to help me iron out some goals etc. And she's the one who introduced me to this site, which is helping to keep me motivated to lose weight now that I'm on my own. So not all of them are bad. It's like any other job where you're expected to give people advice: some people know what they're talking about and some don't.
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So basically this is what I wanted to do. Please let me know what you think. It doesn't look like she is a registered dietician but she trains and competes and helps others lose weight so she has to know what she is doing, correct?
    She works for max muscle so I'm sure she suggests their supplements but what I like is that she will plan my menu for 4 weeks and I can learn when and what to eat
    http://maxmuscleoceansideca.com/customized-nutrition-plans-personal-training/

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!