how many steps

I am only using the pedometer on my phone but I was wondering what is an acceptable number of steps a day?

Replies

• katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    I think the standard that is recommended for health is 10,000.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    10,000 steps a day is a good goal to aim for. :tongue:
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    I'm in the UK and official guidance is 10,000 steps :laugh: :laugh:
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    I am trying to do 10,000 every day.:flowerforyou:
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    I am starting back with this after almost a year not doing it (and gaining weight back!). I found that while the ultimate goal is 10,000 steps per day, it was very frustrating for me if I expected getting anywhere close when I started doing it--not getting 9000-10,000 seemed like "failing" and I really don't want to get myself in that sort of mind set! I did eventually consistently get 6 days a week at 10,000 after learning a lot of tricks to add steps to daily activities.

My suggestion is to find out how many steps you are currently doing without making any special effort for a couple of days, then add on 1000 steps to that as a weekly goal. Because I did it in the past, I've given myself a minimum per day to shoot for rather than a max. My goal for this week is to always be above 7000 steps--if I can do that, the following week the minimum will be 8000, and so on.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    There is no best number of steps. Your goal should be to improve.

First figure out how many you do on an average day. Then make your goal a bit higher than that. Not too easy to reach but not so hard you can't reach it. Hit that goal every day & then increase a bit the next week and repeat.