how many steps

Options
I am only using the pedometer on my phone but I was wondering what is an acceptable number of steps a day?

Replies

• katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think the standard that is recommended for health is 10,000.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    10,000 steps a day is a good goal to aim for. :tongue:
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and official guidance is 10,000 steps :laugh: :laugh:
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do 10,000 every day.:flowerforyou:
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am starting back with this after almost a year not doing it (and gaining weight back!). I found that while the ultimate goal is 10,000 steps per day, it was very frustrating for me if I expected getting anywhere close when I started doing it--not getting 9000-10,000 seemed like "failing" and I really don't want to get myself in that sort of mind set! I did eventually consistently get 6 days a week at 10,000 after learning a lot of tricks to add steps to daily activities.

My suggestion is to find out how many steps you are currently doing without making any special effort for a couple of days, then add on 1000 steps to that as a weekly goal. Because I did it in the past, I've given myself a minimum per day to shoot for rather than a max. My goal for this week is to always be above 7000 steps--if I can do that, the following week the minimum will be 8000, and so on.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There is no best number of steps. Your goal should be to improve.

First figure out how many you do on an average day. Then make your goal a bit higher than that. Not too easy to reach but not so hard you can't reach it. Hit that goal every day & then increase a bit the next week and repeat.