Sour Cream vs. Greek Yogurt

Options
My doctor has me on a low carb/low sugar eating plan right now and I'm trying to decide which to use for a veggie dip I'm making, greek yogurt or sour cream. Greek yogurt has a lot of protein and no fat, but has higher carbs and sugar than sour cream.

Sour 60 calories, 5 fat, 1 carbs, 1 sugar, and 1 protein in 2 tablespoons.
Fage Greek yogurt has 130 calories, 0 fat, 9 carbs, 9 sugars, and 23 protein in 1 cup.

What are your suggestons/opinions. Thanks.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to compare a CUP of yogurt to a CUP of sour cream and make your choice from there. Or whatever portion you're likely to eat. If it's 2 tablespoons, the difference in macros probably isn't going to matter for anything.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You can't really compare 2 tablespoons to one cup. First, figure out the equivalent measurements so you can compare them equally.
  • CorydonCutie22
    Options
    Wow...I didn't think about that. I guess since there are 16 tablespoons in a cup and there are 2 tablespoons in a serving I'll need to times everything on the sour cream by 8. Kind of makes my decision a little easer. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Wow...I didn't think about that. I guess since there are 16 tablespoons in a cup and there are 2 tablespoons in a serving I'll need to times everything on the sour cream by 8. Kind of makes my decision a little easer. Thanks for your suggestions!

yep. cup for cup, the carbs are almost the same - so I'd go wiith the greek yogurt for all that protein. But, I get plenty of fat elsewhere in my diet
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    The sugar in the Fage yoghurt is not added (refined) sugar and comes from the lactose in the milk.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    normal greek yogurt does contain fat unless you buy the fat free version.