Am I able to get a flat stomach (never had a baby)?

Options
Hi everyone! I am in the process of losing 9 lbs. of fat (which would put me at my ideal weight) by creating a caloric deficit through clean eating and circuit training. I recently found out I have a banana body shape, although my problem area is my lower belly.

Despite my genetics, am I able to achieve a flat stomach at a healthy weight?

Are people who have never been pregnant all able to achieve flat stomachs at a healthy weight?

Replies

• November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't think genetics counts for as much as people say. I was told 'you'll never look the same' after two kids. 10lb lost and voila. Flat stomach and visible top two abs.

I lost fat on my boobs, back, upper arms and legs before the belly, but it shrank 3 inches in 8 weeks just calorie-counting. It can be done!
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Of course you are. :)

I am (or would be) the worst apple-shaped female, but by being at a lower end bmi and incorporating lots of exercise to tighten the abdomen area, a flat belly is no problem at all. I don't believe there are many people who are unable to achieve a flat mid-section.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    <----I HAVE been pregnant/had a baby. So, yes, "despite genetics" (which IMO is a total cop-out 90% (or more) of the time), you can have a flat stomach. Get liftin'
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Having a baby has nothing to do with it. You can have a flat stomach before and after having a baby.
  • arf24_1
    arf24_1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 babies and have a flat stomach, so I can't see why you couldn't
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow. I must be honest, I have some-what contemplated having a baby and this was one reason that kind of held me back, especially the work I am putting into my weight-loss right now.

I am very relieved to hear that as long as if you put in the effort, it can be done! I kind of just figured that for some, it is impossible...which I am sure it is, but rare. :D
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    how can you be shaped like a banana? do you have back problems?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    how can you be shaped like a banana? do you have back problems?

I was wondering the same exact thing.

BTW, defined stomachs aren't just about being at an ideal weight, it's about body composition and body fat %. I say this because there are many women on this board who still don't have flat stomachs despite being underweight or borderline underweight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've had two children and my stomach is almost back to flat. Also, haven't you already made several posts about flat bellies where people have told you that it's going to come down to body fat% and where you body stores weight?

I'm just going to leave this here, although I suspect someone has already shared this with you in one of your previous posts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • dasak59
    dasak59 Posts: 1
    Options
    My mentor put this on his FB page. Maybe this will help with explaining why flat stomachs come from body composition, not weight.

Myth: Doing ab exercises will result in a flat stomach and well-defined 6 pack abs.

Yes, you must work the abs with solid ab exercises, strengthen and build the muscles of the abdominals, obliques, and even lower back to build and have a strong core, but this does not directly result in a flat stomach or chiseled 6-pack.

A popular phrase floating around these days is, “abs are made in the kitchen.” This is partially true. Diet is an essential part of the equation to having that flat and defined mid-section. Clean and healthy eating is essential to any healthy and fit lifestyle, but not simply for the fact of having nice abs.

Covering the abdominals is a layer of fat. Plain and simple, this fat is what stands between the results of all the hard work you put in building strong ab muscles and being able to see the results of that hard work. Healthy eating is the key to minimizing fat stores around the midsection.

The other key to seeing definition in the abs is cardio workouts. You must burn the extra calories and extra fat. Revealing the abs will be achieved through a strict healthy eating plan and a consistent cardio plan to lower bodyfat levels.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    A popular phrase floating around these days is, “abs are made in the kitchen.” This is partially true. Diet is an essential part of the equation to having that flat and defined mid-section. Clean and healthy eating is essential to any healthy and fit lifestyle, but not simply for the fact of having nice abs.
    The other key to seeing definition in the abs is cardio workouts. You must burn the extra calories and extra fat. Revealing the abs will be achieved through a strict healthy eating plan and a consistent cardio plan to lower bodyfat levels.

Clean eating is not essential ....and neither is cardio...

lowering bodyfat is...which you do with a calorie deficit...and lifting does a better job at building core muscles and aiding in lowering BF than cardio does...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Healthy eating is the key to minimizing fat stores around the midsection.

Cardio isn't a key...it can be part of the equation, but isn't a key.....

Healthy eating isn't a key....it can be part of the equation, but isn't a key....

BF% through reasonable caloric deficit + work (cardio AND compound lifts) + patience.. You can get there without #2 at all, but many are happier when incorporating all 3. Many on here have achieved their "flat stomach" without the aid, or minimal aid of cardio at all....
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile pic ive had 3 babies in 12 yrs and if I can get there (I haven't yet but know I can) anyone can