getting offered junk food

Options
Ok I have been off and on dieting for 10 months now and I am getting very serious about it seein that I have gained over 10 lbs back that I had lost! So got my bf to buy diet Pepsi and lots of healthy food for me to eat:) but now when I go around folks they r always offering me sweets and other junk food its sooo hard to say no too does anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    First of all stop dieting. Eliminate the word diet from your vocabulary. It's a lifestyle change. You don't need to eliminate foods you like, so it's not a diet. Just stay within the recommended calorie goal of MFP and you will lose weight, if you're faithful about entering your food everyday.

Once you realize that a Big Mac is 650 calories, you can eat it, but you're going to have to cut back on dinner. Weight loss is nothing more than eat less--move more, or calories in versus calories out. It's not magic, it's simple math.

Welcome and good luck to you!
  • jessinicole1808
    Options
    Thanks! That is good advice:)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Not really. I used to get annoyed when people offered me junk food and got personally offended when I refused it, as if they invented junk food or something. Now I find it rather amusing. The funny part is that I never really liked junk food all that much, but my friends and family seem to shove it in my face more than ever now since I started exercising regularly and counting calories. Lol.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You get the choice whether you are going to accept food that you don't want to eat. That said, weight loss is about calories in/calories out and the idea is to not give up anything you like, just eat less of us. Moderation is one of the best tools for anybody who eats (and we all do. :smile:)

Though it does not work for everyone, what has worked for me has been cutting out the diet mentality where I must eliminate certain foods from my dietary plan. I've lost 43 pounds and I have not cut anything out of my diet that I did not like or was intolerant to (soy and lactose) or sensitive to (excessive caffeine, but I do drink/eat some). Weighing foods and measuring liquids has helped me to stay aware of how many calories I consume, and using a heart rate monitor seems to give me accurate readings.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to get annoyed when people offered me junk food and got personally offended when I refused it, as if they invented junk food or something

HAHHA!! Yep!
    People get all weird and threatened about it....maybe it's their own insecurities coming out, like they subconsciously want everyone else to have the same dependency on junk as they do. Am I over-analyzing? :P

I have the biggest problem with my own bf. He is pretty slim and keeps junk food and sweets in the house no matter how much I try to convince him not to. He's always offering it to me, claiming that I should just eat it in moderation. But he's not the one who's going to have log hundreds of calories worth of pointless bites of junk food throughout the day. It really adds up! That's why it's best to focus on the "junk" you love the most and just fit it into your calorie allotment. Don't give into all the junk that is just "meh", but was offered to you so you feel obligated to try.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    HAHHA!! Yep!
    People get all weird and threatened about it....maybe it's their own insecurities coming out, like they subconsciously want everyone else to have the same dependency on junk as they do. Am I over-analyzing? :P

In my opinion, yes.
    I love baking and making things for my friends and co-workers. Most of them are adults, so I would expect them to eat it if they want it, or not eat it if they don't. I personally don't give a **** what anyone else is doing, whether they're trying to lose weight or not. It's up to them to control themselves, not me.

Edit: However, it would be stupid for me to get mad or upset about it if they refused.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Never had this problem. This is lifelong for me and food is food. I make things fit into my day, hit my macros/micros and enjoy life. It's too short to waste time labeling things and obsessing over trivial words like good or bad.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    First of all stop dieting. Eliminate the word diet from your vocabulary. It's a lifestyle change. You don't need to eliminate foods you like, so it's not a diet. Just stay within the recommended calorie goal of MFP and you will lose weight, if you're faithful about entering your food everyday.

Once you realize that a Big Mac is 650 calories, you can eat it, but you're going to have to cut back on dinner. Weight loss is nothing more than eat less--move more, or calories in versus calories out. It's not magic, it's simple math.

All of this.

You don't have to eliminate "junk" from you diet. Brownies don't make you fat. Too many brownies make you fat.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It could be just a matter of manners. Even if I know a friend is "dieting" I will offer them something to eat/drink when they come over. That's the way I was taught to ... hostess, I guess. If they don't want to partake, I'm not offended. But I don't like to leave people out.
  • HappyQuella
    HappyQuella Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to feel bad about refusing people- especially if I was in their home, and they made something especially for me- but now, not so much. The more you say no, the easier it will get, but those first few times were tough. Sometimes I will just take a bite or two of something if it's waaayyyy beyond my limits, and let them know before dishing it that I only want a couple spoonfuls.

But like others have said, don't deprive yourself. I could never just eat all "healthy" food all day, I would break and end up binging if I did. Then everything's down the drain! Enjoy your meals. :)
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The more I say no and my reason why, the less people offer it. Work is like that, always bringing treats...
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Exactly!! I totally agree!
  • saraharnoldnelson
    saraharnoldnelson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time. Sometimes it is a treat my kids would love (homemade cake pops, etc.) and I accept. Most of the time, I say, "Thank you, but I'm good." I have a lot of weight to lose and there are not many people I care to discuss this with. I just smile big and leave it at that.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    HAHHA!! Yep!

Or it could be that people are used to sharing food as a form of socializing with others, and in rejecting their offer of food, it comes off as rejecting them and the interaction. Not everyone labels food as "healthy" or "junk." Some people really do just see a brownie as food and eat it if it fits into their day, and it doesn't mean they are dependent on it. They could just like brownies.
  • AshMojito
    AshMojito Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to my Grandmother's house (which is once a week), she offers me lots of junk food; like 6 different things. Instead of saying yes to everything, I'll just say yes to one thing. That way we're both happy!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    when I go around folks they r always offering me sweets and other junk food
    its sooo hard to say no too
    does anyone else have this problem??
    I remember how long it takes me on the elliptical to burn off that many calories, and if it's worth it, I'll eat it.
    Chocolate is almost always worth it. :heart:

Take a moderate size piece of whatever, eat it mindfully - pay attention to the taste, the mouth feel, your reaction, how much you're enjoying your indulgence!

But no, I'm perfectly capable of telling someone "no" and sticking to it.
    Trying to push me just makes me dig in my heels.
    focus on the "junk" you love the most and just fit it into your calorie allotment
    Yep. Don't deny what you like, but make it part of your calorie plan for that day.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Its almost like people subconsciously trying to sabotage your efforts. It is like heroin - just say no! Recognize peer pressure, and point it out if you have to to get them to shut up.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    In my culture, it's considered rude to deny a treat (which is considered kind of like a gift) and it's also rude if you start eating but throw away the leftovers. Or maybe it's just my own pet peeve?? Lol. But anyways, if I get offered, I accept but I won't eat it most of the time. I'd save it up for a treat later or give it to someone else or take it home and put it in the snack jar for my family to eat if they want to. It's hard but you got to get to the point where you can accept things but not eat it or eat a little bit of it and not freak out. Trying to build a healthy relationship with food here...
  • lenarashminraj
    lenarashminraj Posts: 53 Member
    Options

this is the best reply.. quoting it to keep me motivated.. I always experience the problems you had given and worst part its, i fell in love with the offered junk food in next second. now i know, how to take care of the situation.. Portion control is the best thing :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I only have this problem at birthday parties (cake!) and find it extremely annoying to have food of any kind "pushed" to me. Thanks for a great topic-- it is one that is common, and folks are responding with wonderful suggestions.